EMERGENCY vet question - PLEASE help!?

I tried calling a vet, but she thought the situation was ridiculous so she hung up on me. The other vets I have called do not answer.My five year old golden retriever is pregnant and the father is a great dane. I did NOT want this to happen at all. She…

I tried calling a vet, but she thought the situation was ridiculous so she hung up on me. The other vets I have called do not answer.My five year old golden retriever is pregnant and the father is a great dane. I did NOT want this to happen at all. She…...
    General Dog Discussions : EMERGENCY vet question - PLEASE help!?...

• EMERGENCY vet question - PLEASE help!?

EMERGENCY vet question - PLEASE help!? General Dog Discussions
      I tried calling a vet, but she thought the situation was ridiculous so she hung up on me. The other vets I have called do not answer.My five year old golden retriever is pregnant and the father is a great dane. I did NOT want this to happen at all. She had a litter of puppies in November with a labrador retriever and there were no complications. However, this pregnancy is totally unexpected.. I am not trying to breed dogs, but the father is only a year old and we had no idea he would be able to impregnate her so soon.Anyhow, I am just so scared for her because I tried to get help on the internet and I read it is most likely she will die from this... Her stomach is really low and our neighbor said she will probably give birth this week.. We have a vet coming to our house Thursday (I am writing this question Monday night), but I am afraid she will give birth before then... is there any thing I can do? Perhaps she can have an emergency C-section?Please help. This dog is my life. She has helped me through depression and she is irreplaceable to me. I do not want a lecture on how wrong mixed breeding is, because this is clearly NOT a situation I want to be in. If she makes it through this, I WILL get her and the great dane fixed.We do not know how far along she is, but I am guessing at least a month, probably two, which is, I believe, the gestation period of a Golden Retriever. She still has an appetite. She lies down a lot, but she will still jump up when I bring treats to her. She does not appear weak or any thing.Thank you all for the answers. I am glad to hear responses which actually provide help!Thank you all for the feedback and not regarding this as ridiculous - After dialing around eight clinics, I finally got in touch with a nurse who gave me instructions. I can only hope my dog will make it through alright and I will do the best I can to check on her to be prepared for labor. Thanks again!

EMERGENCY vet question - PLEASE help!? General Dog Discussions
    • Contact another vet, immediately. The situation isn't 'ridiculous' at all. I'm surprised she's managed to carry the pups this far without complications - why did you wait so long to seek help? Her large belly may not necessarily mean she's about to pop any day; the size of the puppies she's carrying could well be distending her further than is natural or normal. Yes, a caesarian would be a good idea, discuss the options and procedures with the vet - an emergency one if necessary. Why do you have to wait until Thursday?

• You are going to have to watch her very closely until she has the puppies. If they come before the vet does, you may even have to help her deliver them if they are in fact too large for her. Be gentle if you do have to help her.

• Is she having contractions or actively pushing? If she pushes constantly for more than a 1/2 hour, get her to a vet for a c-section immediately. This will be pricey. It runs $800-$1500 at my clinic. But there is a possibility that she will deliver just fine. When is her due date?

• Honestly I dont think there is anything you can do except wait. There are all kinds of 24 emergency vets that you can atleast call and ask them. I am very sorry to hear this but all you can do right now is wait and keep her as comfortable as you can, and give her lots of love. Good Luck!

• If you have any concern you should take her into your vet's office tomorrow. If anything happens overnight take her to a Emergency vet. Please do have her spayed not only so she can no longer have "unwanted pregnancies" but so she may have less health factors(cancer)

• I agree call another vet and have them see her. But really..why the heck didnt you have her spayed after the last pregnancy? Please do consider having a c-section. (This will also be a spay and end your problems) Sorry to be curt....but good grief!

• You NEED to keep calling vets, slowly working away from you. THat is HORRIBle that they just hung up on you. I would keep track of wha tthey say. Call and complain at a different time of the day. I don't care how bad it is that this happened, the dog is in serious trouble and it isn't fair tot he dog for them to dismiss it because of your ignorance (most literal sense of the word meaning you really didn't know, now you know so spay every cat dog rabbit whatever from now on).She may be able to get a C-section, that may be the only option. She may also be able to get spayed and abort the puppies if you can find a vet willing to and you are OK with it. I don't know that they would do it this late, but since her life is in jeopardy it is an option. YOu shoudl see about getting her to a vet before Thursday, espcially if you want to abort as the longer you wait the more likely for complications. i don't know that .Look up emergency vets in the area, even if they are a little far. You need to find one that will do a C-section if necessary, and put aside money for it (as much as possible)Good luck, keep looking for vets. I hope she gets through it and that you spay and neuter all your pets from now on.

• If your regular vet is refusing to help you, I probably wouldn't go back to that office. Try contacting your local Humane Society or SPCA office. They come across all sorts of wacky situations, and they'll probably be glad to help you and your sweetie.

• First off try to relax. Dogs can sense your stress level and we want to keep her as calm as possible. If you haven't tried an emergency vet clinic, try calling one now. Even though your golden was bred to a Great Dane, she may have these puppies without any problems are all. She is more likely to have larger puppies and problems whelping if she has only a few very large puppies. The larger the litter, the smaller the puppies and small puppies are less likely to get stuck in the birth canal.This is a good website with lots of information about whelping:http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/whelping.htmI'm assuming that your dog is not in labor right now. You should be taking your dogs rectal temperature 2-3 times a day. The website above will give you guidance. The rectal temperature drops before whelping. Keep watching your dog, if you even think she is whelping abnormally get her to a vet and they can evaluate her and see if she needs a c-section. If she does have a c-section, ask them to spay her during the surgery. Good luck and go check out that website.