Shichons, Zuchons, and Bichon Frises...?

My husband and I are about to purchase one of these hybrid puppies--a cross between a bichon frise mother and a shih tzu father. Has anyone owned one of these little dogs, and if so, can they give me any advice about them? I want the "real" truth...…

My husband and I are about to purchase one of these hybrid puppies--a cross between a bichon frise mother and a shih tzu father. Has anyone owned one of these little dogs, and if so, can they give me any advice about them? I want the "real" truth...…...
    General Dog Discussions : Shichons, Zuchons, and Bichon Frises...?...

• Shichons, Zuchons, and Bichon Frises...?

Shichons, Zuchons, and Bichon Frises...? General Dog Discussions
      My husband and I are about to purchase one of these hybrid puppies--a cross between a bichon frise mother and a shih tzu father. Has anyone owned one of these little dogs, and if so, can they give me any advice about them? I want the "real" truth...

Shichons, Zuchons, and Bichon Frises...? General Dog Discussions
    • The real truth is that these are mutts and there is no way to predict how they will turn out. It all depends on which genes they get.The real truth is that breeders who deliberately breed mutts are unethical and only in it for the money.The real truth is that the pounds are full of these same mutts, without the fancy names. There are many, many nice mixed breed dogs desperately in need of homes, if you want a mutt please adopt one from the pound or a rescue rather than lining the pockets of the people that are producing them.

• Bichon Frises are great dogs. You're going to spend the same amount of money for one of these "designer mutts" as you would on a pure bred shih tzu or bichon frise. Either get a pure bred dog from a breeder, or adopt a dog from a shelter. I agree completely with the above answers.

• These new designer dogs have a temperment and medical problem. Many are bred by backyard breeders who know nothing of the genetic differences in the types of dogs they are breeding. There are problems with the skeletal structures of these dogs, many will suffer from dysplasia, and can $1,000's of dollars in vet car. Their temperments tend to be skittish and many have behavioural 'quirks' like running in circles or obsessive licking and biting.If you want a quality dog, go to a reputable breeder of a thorough bred dog. You are given a guarantee, advice and a good lineage of temperment. This is a dog, not the latest handbag.Many breeds that they are crossing, would never mate to begin with....a Llapso- Apso and a poodle? The mechanics of insemination would be impossible...many dogs are impregnated by syrings. Nature has rules, these breeders of designer dogs want a quick buck, and sell the cutest dog they can 'make'..they do not look down the road at costly health concerns.I recommend the pure Bichon Frisee....a lovely dog, quick, good natured and true companion, with a comical personality.You will love them!

• I totally agree with Tracy A. These designer dogs are unpredictable in their behavior and their health. The anount of money you will spend on this dog is about the same as if you purchase a pure breed dog.Do your selves a favor and keep looking around for a pure breed dog from a good breeder.

• You're always better off getting a pure breed such as the Bichon than a cross between two breeds. You cannot accurately predict how they are going to turn out either looks wise or temperamentally. Always go to a reputable breeder that does health checks on their breeding stock. That way you wont end up broken hearted.

• They are not hybrids. A hybrid is a product of 2 different species and dogs are the same species. What you are looking for is just a mixed breed with a fancy name. Any name can be made up for any mixed dog. No 2 dogs are alike and you cant just go by breed or mix..you need to go with personailty.

• For one thing they are not called hybrid puppies..or designer dogs..they are called mutts. They are not worth the paper they are writen on. I am trying to stop people from coss breeding these dogs and calling them hybrid or designer and saling them at a high price. I have seen these dogs sale for 1,500.00. Why are people paying this much for mutts. I am trying so hard to stop this but I can't win as long as the demand is for them. NO ONE can put a stop to this until people will stop buying themYou are putting the puppy health at risk. If you want a puppy buy one from a good breeder..Either a Shih Tzu or a Bichon.. but don't buy a mixed.. You are just asking for trouble.