I have a coupl equestions about my pregnant chihuahua?

I really don't know when she got pregnant. She is always runnig off and going down the road. I tried to track her "Heat" cycles but I guess I didn't catch it in time. Anyway she is huge, like triple her normal size`. Also she has been staying home the…

I really don't know when she got pregnant. She is always runnig off and going down the road. I tried to track her "Heat" cycles but I guess I didn't catch it in time. Anyway she is huge, like triple her normal size`. Also she has been staying home the…...
    General Dog Discussions : I have a coupl equestions about my pregnant chihuahua?...

• I have a coupl equestions about my pregnant chihuahua?

I have a coupl equestions about my pregnant chihuahua? General Dog Discussions
      I really don't know when she got pregnant. She is always runnig off and going down the road. I tried to track her "Heat" cycles but I guess I didn't catch it in time. Anyway she is huge, like triple her normal size`. Also she has been staying home the last couple days and not going anywhere. Could this be a sign that her labor is coming? Something else I was wondering is if it is possible for a medium to large breed dog to impregnate a small breed dog.One other thing, and I thank you for your time and patience here. Can I give her a bath with flea shampoo or do I* have to buy a pet shampoo that does not have the flea killing agent in it?? She smells where she ran through the creek outside our house and the water is stagnated because of the mild drought.We only noticed that she was pregnant about a week ago when we noticed her nipples getting large. My husband's grandmother has years and years of animal birthing experience and she will be the one to deliver the pups when they come. I would have taken her to a vet, but the only one is more than an hour away and only accepts cash. I have a 6 moht old and am pregnant again. We have NO car at the moment and we wouldn't be able to get that far away anyway with the price of gas.Please don't tell me I don't need to have a dog. Not only is that no one's business, We have had this dog before I even got pregnant the first time. And we moved to be closer to family and ended up moving away from her vet.plp just piss me off. I am getting a car next month, But I fear that she will deliver before then. Just answer my F-ing questions. If you only have an opinion to share and no helpful advice, don't bother answering this question.OK, Why does everyone get so uptight over a simple question.? I really appreciate those of you who did not give your opinions and just answered my questions. Thanks bunches. And in regards to the people who keep bringing up the whole "when she got pg thing" because I let her run "wild" We live on acres of open land. our nearest neighbor is a half mile away. All the dogs run around out here. And I don't deny that I should have kept her up. Note the reference to "I wa trying to track her "heat cycles" but I must have missed it this time round due to other stuff in my life going on. I don't believe in being cruel to or neglecting animals. If it turns out she needs help, I will get her help. But in the meantime I am only wondering if labor is close since I don't know her gestational age.OK, Why does everyone get so uptight over a simple question.? I really appreciate those of you who did not give your opinions and just answered my questions. Thanks bunches. And in regards to the people who keep bringing up the whole "when she got pg thing" because I let her run "wild" We live on acres of open land. our nearest neighbor is a half mile away. All the dogs run around out here. And I don't deny that I should have kept her up. Note the reference to "I wa trying to track her "heat cycles" but I must have missed it this time round due to other stuff in my life going on. I don't believe in being cruel to or neglecting animals. If it turns out she needs help, I will get her help. But in the meantime I am only wondering if labor is close since I don't know her gestational age.To the poster who saifd my dog was pregnant 6 months ago, we took her to the humane society and found out she WAS NOT pregnant. We kept her in but she would not get a long with the baby so we had to let her out during the day and only bring her in at nigfht. Which is what we do now. So SHUT THE FUCK UP!

I have a coupl equestions about my pregnant chihuahua? General Dog Discussions
    • Doesn't really sound like you should have a dog to begin with, but that's not my place. I think it is def. a sign that something is going on with her. Labor, pain, worry, etc. i would atleast call the vet or talk to your husband's grandmother and see what's up with the pup.

• Money issues or not, you need to get her to see a vet. Tiny breeds like Chihuahuas often have serious problems during pregnancy and delivery, and they can die without proper medical attention. Since you don't know who sired these pups, and the dog could be any size, she could be carrying pups who are way too large for her to deliver, and she may need a c-section.While you're there, make an appointment to have her spayed after the pups are born so you won't have to deal with this again.EDIT (Response to OP): Contrary to what you may think, people ARE giving you helpful advice. Just because it might not be what you want to hear doesn't make the information any less valuable.You have an intact female dog who you let run wild, even when she is in heat. Is it any surprise she is pregnant? And your husband's grandmother's experience with whelping isn't going to help if your dog is dying during delivery and needs a c-section to save her life. Taking her to a vet now will at least give you an idea of how far along she is, when she might be expected to begin labor, and how big the puppies are going to be--that will let you know if she will need surgery in order to deliver the pups.

• Quite the fertile family you have. I hope you get a car and can afford the gas before your new baby comes. It might be a good idea to pack up the Chi and have her spayed before this happens again. BTW, if a larger dog did get her, I hope you have at least $2,000.00 saved for the C-section she will most likely need.

• ok the normal pregnancy for dogs is 63 daysyes a larger dog could have bred her and that can cause major problems i/e not being able to [pass the pupslikely she is getting readydo not use flea meds on her! they are not safe to begin with let alone on a preg, pup assumes you are using over the counter stuffbtw spay or keep her at home

• You should really be responsible and get her spayed . And DON'T let her run loose there are such things as leashes and chains and tie outs for dogs oh and collars too

• don't worry. make a bed for her put her in it often so she knows, try to be home more often and she will do it possible all on her own.. it may be a surprise...but hopefully you can be there if she needs help. yes it is possible to breed large with small but that means she has less puppies., sometimes they have only one large puppy and that gets difficult. feel her stomach, can you count them? when due date ggets closer you can actually feel the full forms of the pups inside including their little legs. it may be if she has a large pup that she needs cesearean ihope not, but if so, be prepared to drive her to the vet. good luck.

• Is this question a wind up? You "don't know" how she got pregnant yet you let her run loose outside your home or garden?In answer to your question, it does sound like her delivery is fairly soon. It IS possible for a larger breed dog to impregnate her and you really do need some advice from your vet.

• "I really don't know when she got pregnant. She is always runnig off and going down the road."That answers your question.Thanks for contributing to this:http://www.brightlion.com/inhope.aspxThis could all have been prevented:http://www.spayusa.orgThere are 7,669 Chihuahuas on http://www.petfinder.org and not all of them are in safe no kill shelters or breed rescue. That is only a small fraction of the many homeless Chis.So, my helpful, brutally honest advice is to give her a spay/abort NOW. If you let her go to full term, she can end up dying.

• Chihuahuas are very delicate dogs and really should only be inside pets, especially if they are pregnant. Yes, they can and will have puppies with a larger dog, and this can be very dangerous for the puppies and the mother dog also. If you have any way at all to confine her until she has the puppies, then I strongly suggest this. Also, many times Chihuahuas require c-sections, even when the father isn't a larger dog.Bottom line, this dog really needs to be seen by a vet if at all possible. You can call your vet for advice though, without having to pay. I have called vets before that my dog hasn't even seen, and the techs there were very informative and helpful. Good luck. I really hope your little mama and puppies make it.P.S. Ditto for the flea shampoo. Never use any on a pregnant or nursing mom without consulting a vet.

• Have your hubby's grandma close by and ask her what signs to look for! Check her temperature. But it would honestly be great if an emergency vet was nearby, in case she needs a c-section.... You don't want to lose your dog and the pups! Perhaps you can take a bus and have a vet check her. Good luck.

• First to answer your question: No, size does not indicate impending labor. Staying home *could* mean she is getting close. Now, for why everyeone is attacking you: you are a horrible dog owner...you threw your chihuahua outside for a week with NO care at all, she got pregnant 6 months ago. Your dog might have been expensive and "gotten" (sic) for breeding, but you don't have a clue about breeding. Dog BREEDERS have vets to help them with things like this. GREEDERS care only about how much money they could make off a litter of pups. WHY spay an expensive dog? So she doesn't die delivering her mutt puppies. Because her owner isn't experienced enough or responsible enough to breed dogs.I have purebred, "expensive" dogs...all 4 of my dogs are altered-because I don't have the time or money to deal with breeding. Someone who can't afford a vet can't afford to breed, either.Your last question about your dog: How long is a dog's gestational period?I have a chihuahua who was in heat weeks ago.. We let her out when my husband and I were staying in the hospital from Feb. 29 through march 5th when I had my baby. We just realized she is pregnant. This is the only time it could have happened as no one was home to make sure she didn't get away. Based on this when would you say she would have her pups??6 months ago Additional Details6 months agothe only dog small enough in my area is a chihuahua next door. we were planning on breeding her anyway just not so soon. why would i spay such an expensive dog that was gotten for breeding????http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgHmA3KzZys6Lzl88hSAOyPty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080320192923AAnIYYE