My puppy keeps humping my older dog.?

I have a 14 week old lab male puppy and he keeps humping my 6 year old lab female. I got him like a month ago and my dog wouldn't let him mount on her at first but now she stands there and does nothing. I have a couple questions1. Spaying? The vet told…

I have a 14 week old lab male puppy and he keeps humping my 6 year old lab female. I got him like a month ago and my dog wouldn't let him mount on her at first but now she stands there and does nothing. I have a couple questions1. Spaying? The vet told…...
    General Dog Discussions : My puppy keeps humping my older dog.?...

• My puppy keeps humping my older dog.?

My puppy keeps humping my older dog.? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 14 week old lab male puppy and he keeps humping my 6 year old lab female. I got him like a month ago and my dog wouldn't let him mount on her at first but now she stands there and does nothing. I have a couple questions1. Spaying? The vet told me that my female dog is too old to get spayed plus she is a little overweight. So she is too old to spay but she can still get pregnant?Nuetering my dog. At what age can I neuter him? What signs should I look for?2. How to stop this behavior also he loves chewing on her. How can I discipline him? I Yell at him and take him off of her but the moment I put him down he runs back to her. I Tried putting one inside and one out side but the one outside starts howling and barking. Please only real help. No rude comments.

My puppy keeps humping my older dog.? General Dog Discussions
    • My neutered 2-year-old Jack Russell used to do this to my 4-year-old Black Labrador, and he still tries to hump next-door's male Westie. He does it as a sign of dominance.Try to start with a firm "NO!" and keep eye contact as you say it, and don't look away until he does. Persist with it until he learns. Or, you can simply try and ignore it. Your dog should see you as the 'Alpha' and he is well aware of your presence, so he is trying to get one-up on your other dog. If you ignore it, he might give up.The chewing could be just because he is a puppy. He's young, energetic and he wants to play, and he's learning from your older dog. Unless it's aggressive, I don't see a problem, but you might want to ask elsewhere.

• I would call your vet to see when u can get your male pup in to get fixed because it sounds like your female may be in heat. They won't generally let a male dog mount them unless there in heat and you really don't want to have a litter of pups. Especially with the age of your female! She is too old to be having puppies and the odds of her having complications are very high!! Keep them separated and do NOT take your eye off them!! Get your male fixed asap for the sake of your female!

• It is dominance. Nothing sexual at all.1. She isn't too old to be spayed. Many dogs are routinely spayed after 6. Yes she can get pregnant still. The age for neutering him really depends upon your vet. Many recommend spaying and neutering around 6 months. With two intact dogs, I would probably agree. Many vets are recommending waiting until a dog reaches maturity before neutering as well. For a Lab that would be around 12-18 months.2. Put him in some puppy obedience classes. Teach the command "leave it" or "enough". It is valuable for more than just this. You can try keeping him on a leash for a while and when he goes to jump on her, give a correction and say "enough". He will get the hint soon enough.Please note that he could be sexually mature enough at as young as 5 months to impregnate your female if she is in heat. If you choose to not have her altered and wait to have him altered, then you will have to keep them separated.

• I have four male unaltered male dogs. My nine week old puppy humps the other dogs all the time and chews on them. Dont yell at the puppy for chewing on her, its just a puppy thing and he's playing with her, its very normal all puppies do it. As for the humping, you can get him neutered at four months where I live, im not sure about where you live so it may be anywhere from three months to six months. If your female dog goes into heat you'll need to seperate them till her heat is completely over. When the puppy starts humping clap your hands to startle him a little then call him over, start training him to sit, laydown and stay. doing that will help the puppy listen to you. Just be paitent with the puppy, its still young and you need to teach him right from wrong.

• Your puppy is for the moment too young to impregnate your 6yr old female, who is CERTAINLY neither too old to conceive nor too old to be spayed. I seriously question your vet's judgment if s/he really told you that! You should have both of them altered. There are pros and cons to holding off on altering large breed dogs until they are sexually mature - bone growth and cancer rates among them.However, if your female remains unspayed, preventing mismating trumps all those other factors, and you should then neuter him at 4 months. It would be preferable to spay the female ASAP, then wait until the male is close to a year old, or sooner if he starts displaying dominance or aggression.

• your dog is not to old to spay. i would seek another vet if you wish to have her spayed. many people do not get their dogs routinely spayed until this age. your little guy seems like it is a dominance thing however at 5-6 months of age he can mate with her and impregnante her. The vets usually recommend they be sexually mature befor you neuter a male dog so your looking at 14 months usually before they would consider it. Try telling him no in a very firm voice and removing him from your female. keep doing this as often as you see it.

• HiUsually dogs can get neutered at 6 months of age.My dog used to have lots of behavior problems. Here's a good site I found that really helped. It gave me the information and strategies oh how to train my dog and showed me what I was doing incorrectly before hand. Best of luck to you. I found this on a post at the website below.