How can you tell if a dog has been impregnated?

My dobe has been in heat for about a week and a half now. Our room mates puppy was raising hell outside a few minutes after we had let the dogs outside this morning to go do their business. I go outside to see a mutt in the back yard and my dobe running…

My dobe has been in heat for about a week and a half now. Our room mates puppy was raising hell outside a few minutes after we had let the dogs outside this morning to go do their business. I go outside to see a mutt in the back yard and my dobe running…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can you tell if a dog has been impregnated?...

• How can you tell if a dog has been impregnated?

How can you tell if a dog has been impregnated? General Dog Discussions
      My dobe has been in heat for about a week and a half now. Our room mates puppy was raising hell outside a few minutes after we had let the dogs outside this morning to go do their business. I go outside to see a mutt in the back yard and my dobe running around the backyard with it. I couldnt tell if it was male, but i can only assume so, as the way it broke through the latch on our privacy fence to get back there. I couldnt see that kind of motive in a female. when i chased the mutt off i noticed that the back of her neck had a couple slober spots where it looked as though the mutt was biting her neck? I knew cats bit the female on the neck while mating, i wasnt sure if dogs did as well. I dont believe they were fighting since it was only the puppy who was barking. i didnt hear and growling or snarling and they way they were running around wasnt aggressive.Like i had said, i only let the 2 dogs out to go potty. She was out there for less than 5 minutes while i came in to grab a load of laundry. The way the dog got in was ripped slats out of the fence where the latch had been installed. She isnt spayed because we are looking into breeding her in the future. My mother inlaw has a stud we were looking into using on her next cycle. This is only her first heat and she is a late bloomer at that. Vet said fist heat cycle should hit between 7-9 months, she is 10 1/2 months now.

How can you tell if a dog has been impregnated? General Dog Discussions
    • You should NEVER leave an unaltered female unattended while in heat... EVER! Not even in your own backyard. You would be surprised at how strong the drive in the male dog is to get to her. The scenario you described "could" be indicative of a tie, but since they were unattended, its hard to say whether or not they tied up. If they did, then she is most likely pregnant. If you make the choice to keep your female intact, you should really bone up on all of this information. Any particular reason why she isn't spayed?thanks for the additional info... Like I said though, 5 minutes is long enough for a male to get into your yard to have a go at the female. Even if you were just going in to change the laundry, a female in heat should be within eyesight at all times when outside. I'm not passing judgment so no need to get defensive. I am just recommending that you do some reading up on how to properly care for an intact female. The scenario you described is not uncommon in the slightest. And if you do plan on breeding your female properly, you should start preparing now for all that comes with that. Its very hard, messy and expensive venture that should only be undertaken if you are fully versed and prepared for all possible scenarios.

• he probly tried to mount her,and you really won't know if they mated,do a search on signs of pregnancy on your breedit only take a few minutes,if they tied,it was so quick,some tie for 5 min,10 min,even up to 30 mincall your vet and ask if you can do anyhting about it now,the sperm lives for 5 days1.5 weeks into her heat,she is ready to stand for a malenever ever leave a female in season alone in a yard even if you have it fensed off,males have been known to even rip through sidings of homes to get to the female...