advice on a wounded 1 week old puppy?

my mum has two sister labrador b*tches, to cut a very long (4 years to be precise) story short, one of the bitches was declared infertile and the other goes into the stable whenever my labrador dog comes around, this has been fine for the last few years,…

my mum has two sister labrador b*tches, to cut a very long (4 years to be precise) story short, one of the bitches was declared infertile and the other goes into the stable whenever my labrador dog comes around, this has been fine for the last few years,…...
    General Dog Discussions : advice on a wounded 1 week old puppy?...

• advice on a wounded 1 week old puppy?

advice on a wounded 1 week old puppy? General Dog Discussions
      my mum has two sister labrador b*tches, to cut a very long (4 years to be precise) story short, one of the bitches was declared infertile and the other goes into the stable whenever my labrador dog comes around, this has been fine for the last few years, no accidents or litters, anyway my dog has somehow managed, while nobody was looking, to impregnate the infertile b*tch ( called meg) so meg's had her litter, every things fine she had 7 pups all healthy and doing well, (this was last week) but then a few days ago, her sister (eva the very fertile b*tch) tried taking one of meg's pups, we don;t know how she got to them but the dogs started fighting and trying to kill one another and the little puppy that she was stealing got bitten on her back, its quite a puncture wound, but no broken bones and the puppy seemed to be fine, a little bloody but nothing life threatening, after a day of watching the puppy, it started to get chilled so we took it to the vet, anyway it has an infection int he wound and the vet (who looked 16 and could barely talk) said it didn't look good and did we want it put to sleep. anyway life story over, i'm currently Syringe feeding about 13 ml of lactol puppy milk every 2 hours with little bits of water in between, she's passing urine / faeces fine, she can move, and will cry a little every now and again, she's on anti biotic drops twice daily ( 4 drops of synolux) i just wondered if there was anything else i should be doing to give her a fighting chance? im worried shes a little bloated as she doesnt seem to be burping too well. i've called the vet, and she says other than the course of antibiotics, all they can do is put her to sleep. doesnt that seem a little harsh? she still has some life left in her.p.s she is 8 days old, and weighs 440 grams she is a full, pure bred labrador, and comes from a very healthy litter of 7, she has had the wound for 3 days now. she can hold her head up, but is not crawling well, she also is not very active mostly sleeping.i don't intend to sell any of the puppies. a few are going to live with other members of the family but the rest will stay on the farm. we don't breed our dogs and we arent savages, i just think the pup deserves a chance.they havent done an x-ray, i don't know if its because shes too young or because they couldnt be bothered. she can move all 4 of her legs if that makes any difference? + when holding around her mid abdomen, she can hold herself up/ support herself, its too early to see if her walking will be effected obviously, and she's not crawling, but i dont think the others do much crawling either, unless they're moving towards the teats.Their is no need to insult me, were not back yard breeders, and we're not breeders, the dog was deemed INFERTILE by a vet. as in theres no need to neuter this dog because it can't have pups anyway. she'd never even had a season before this. the only reason the other one isnt neutered is so that she could have a litter to keep her blood line going on for another generation. since her sister has already done that, she will be "fixed". how dare you insult me, i'm genuinly worried about our little pup, and all you can think about is killing them??? its not the same vet, this one was a new girl, she hardly looked old enough to be a vet, but she got a second opinion from her collegue.

advice on a wounded 1 week old puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • She needs to be put to sleep to put her out of her misery. Are you wanting to keep her alive because you won't be able to make money off he puppy by selling it or are you actually attached to it? If you really care about the puppy you will put it out of its misery because it will most likely die on its own a slow painful death.

• I would defiantly finish the antibiotics and then see how she is doing. Putting her to sleep does seem a little harsh maybe you should get a 2nd opinion. Good luck1111

• I would think that as long as you are feeding the pup, watching it and making sure the wound stays cleaned and covered and that she is using the bathroom good , you're doing all you can. Puppies do seem to get bloated sometimes just because they eat a lot. I would keep fighting for her because you don't know. Right now she's awfully young but the more strength she gets, the better chance she has. I'm surprised the vet would be so quick to want to put the pup to sleep. You might want to get another opinion.She's only 8 days old...she is going to sleep a lot. Also, she's been injured which may be why she isn't moving a lot. She's probably in some pain and the antibiotics will help with that eventually.

• Do you know if her little spinal column was injured, and how badly if it was.? Why did your vet tell you to let her go? I can't think of any other reasons for letting this little one go. Now if the pup has a severe injury that will destroy her "quality" of life...I agree with the vet. It is not fair to this little life not to be able to enjoy her life,

• I'd probably put the pup down. Why? Because the world doesnt need your family having more BYB dogs running around, impregnating each other when "no one was watching", and then being attacked by each other. Make sure each and every one of these puppies is fixed, even if this pup does survive. Your family obviously can't be responsible with their unaltered dogs, so you need to stop this cycle.

• I think that it is very responsible of you to try and give this little baby a chance. If i was in your shoes I would do the same thing. It sounds to like you are pretty much doing all that you can. Except maybe you need to find a more compassionate vet, it sounds like he is all for killing animals.And for the one yelling BYB if the dog was deemed infertile then that is on the Vet to declared that. And plus the pups are going to family members instead of being sold to just anyone. Question? Was the vet that declared you dog infertile the same Vet that wanted to put the pup to sleep