Does my border collie need a coat even though he is long haired?

For some time, me and my mum have wondered if to get our 4 year old border collie a water proof coat or some kind of coat to keep him dry and warm. He is long haired and we don't want to make him too hot. But we were wondering if we needed a water proof…

For some time, me and my mum have wondered if to get our 4 year old border collie a water proof coat or some kind of coat to keep him dry and warm. He is long haired and we don't want to make him too hot. But we were wondering if we needed a water proof…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Does my border collie need a coat even though he is long haired?...

• Does my border collie need a coat even though he is long haired?

Does my border collie need a coat even though he is long haired? Dog Breed Discussions
      For some time, me and my mum have wondered if to get our 4 year old border collie a water proof coat or some kind of coat to keep him dry and warm. He is long haired and we don't want to make him too hot. But we were wondering if we needed a water proof for him in the rain to stop him getting so wet and smelly. Or a wooly type coat for him in the snow so he doesnt get too cold.

Does my border collie need a coat even though he is long haired? Dog Breed Discussions
    • they certainly don't need a coat but if your concerned go for it, as long as they have a good barn to sleep in or a dog house, we had these as ranch dogs growing up they are very hardy and will work in all conditions weather you want them to or not. they are a very cool breed

• Border collies were bred to withstand the outdoor elements. Is he showing signs of discomfort in the rain, cold or snow? Does he have protection from the elements such as a dog house? Most dogs do not tolerate clothing well if they do not need it, they will not be comfortable and will always be pulling or biting at the garment. If your dog is exhibiting behavior that questions his ability to handle weather conditions you should talk to your vet to rule out an underlying condition.