Why is it wrong to advertise puppies for sale?

I'm not a breeder nor am I in the market for a puppy. I have one dog that I got from the local Humane Society and another that I bought from a breeder. I'm not looking for any lectures about adopting only so please don't come at this from that angle. I…

I'm not a breeder nor am I in the market for a puppy. I have one dog that I got from the local Humane Society and another that I bought from a breeder. I'm not looking for any lectures about adopting only so please don't come at this from that angle. I…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why is it wrong to advertise puppies for sale?...

• Why is it wrong to advertise puppies for sale?

Why is it wrong to advertise puppies for sale? General Dog Discussions
      I'm not a breeder nor am I in the market for a puppy. I have one dog that I got from the local Humane Society and another that I bought from a breeder. I'm not looking for any lectures about adopting only so please don't come at this from that angle. I feel that if people want to purchase a puppy from a breeder for whatever reason, that's their right. However, through my FB friends, I've learned that some breeders of show dogs are really opposed to advertising puppies for sale -- especially on the Internet. Some say it's okay to advertise them on one's website, while some won't advertise them even there. Would someone who is knowledgeable about this please explain? Thank you.Thank you, everyone, for your great responses. I've been curious about this because I know how hard good breeders work to get really good homes for their puppies and therefore, they really check out potential buyers. My puzzlement comes from some interactions I've had with some breeders since getting my purebred puppy from a very reputable breeder whose lines are in showrings around the world. She didn't know me when I called her because I don't show and just wanted a nice, healthy dog of this breed. I saw her website and liked the looks of her dogs so I called her. She was pleasant and professional, and asked lots of questions. She checked out all of my references and since she lived in another state, she brought the pup to me personally so she could check out where it would be living. I'm sure she didn't make much on that sale, but it was clear that her concern for the pup's wellbeing was more important than money. We've stayed in touch since I got the

Why is it wrong to advertise puppies for sale? General Dog Discussions
    • I think it's because the breeders are VERY serious about their job. They actually care about the sake of the dogs, not just the sake of their paycheck. They proabably don't want you giving your puppy away to some stranger. He could be anyone, and could do anything.

• I think it's very wrong to advertise pups on the Internet to me it shows a lack of concern and compassion, lots of puppies in the UK travel across the Irish Sea a bad sea to cross at any time, most pups are ill with Parvo Virus and bad people sell them to whoever. Pups should only be bought from licensed breeders who have been approved by local Laws and all that they apply. They should be injected and chipped and if it costs a little more why worry.I feel sad for the pups that are rescued by boundary Police at the ports as many die, they're is no love for the mom of these pups it's all about money. Their mom must be frantic as some pups are only 5 weeks of age, weaned and sold on and I pray that karma will visit and they all return as these poor pups, the only good news is that amny are found loving owners.

• To turn the question, JC: Why would any discriminate breeder need to advertise? The fact is that the most discriminating Breeders are going to have a waiting list longer than the number of pups they'll ever produce anyway. Simply put, the discriminate Breeder has no need to advertise pups for sale - at least not outside his/her own circle of previous puppy buyers and referrals.

• As you know you can post anything on internet and make it look true.Did you know that most of these internet dog breeders are actually Puppy Mill Breeders.And others are BYBers.A true reputable breeder, show or working will not advertise on internet, newspaper, or anyplace else.They have followers people who will sometimes wait for years to get a quality puppy.Where as internet breeders have puppies 24/7/365.Any body and post a bunch od crap on internet for fools to believe.

• A responsible breeder has a list of approved homes wanting a puppy BEFORE a litter is conceived. Someone who has to advertise in a paper or online ad must not have any breed connections, did not have approved homes already, has no access to or would be rejected by dog fancier avenues that have minimum standards. In other words, if the breeder has a quality b**** that has been proven by earning a title (or at least the line is well known), and if the stud is also a quality animal, then interest in the litter was generated months ago - before the conception ever took place. So there is no need to sell through an ad.

• Most people have issues with it because it's a red flag that someone is a back yard breeder and doesn't really know what they're doing. A good breeder doesn't need to advertise online usually because they should have a well screened waiting list for their pups and most breeders try to make sure they have homes for future puppies before they even breed the dogs.If someone is breeding dogs and has to advertise them on craigslist or in the newspaper, they most likely have no idea what they're doing.

• Most reputable breeders don't need to advertise puppies as they have a waiting list already and the pups are spoken for. They just state if you are interested to contact them and be put on the list.Most times its the backyard breeders or breeders having too many litters at one time that have to advertise. When I'm breeding my purebred Ocicat, I will have a list so that most kittens are spoke for. In fact, I have one now (cat is still a kitten and won't be bred till next year) and already have most of the litter spoke for!

• After reading most the good responses....I've this to add.Think of all the crazy folks on the net.... the pedos, killers, animal killers, laboratories, etc.Any one of the above "people" could trick most into selling them a dog/pup for the right price.People that advertise come off as irresponsible in countless ways... I spend 2 hours a month randomly calling these types of people. NOT 1 of them has ever asked even the basics..... only told me the price. These people go in me "black book" so I may inform others NOT to buy from such person. We breed Frenchies every 2 or 3 yrs. I've a waiting list for the next 5 years from folks that have NOT only been checked out by us, but our 2 vets. Real breeders have waiting lists,past client/ vet referrals, & because they network with other real breeders...have NO need to play Russian Roulette on the internet.