How to deal with the death of my dog?

My dog yesterday was acting odd and flopping over everytime he stood up and we took him to the vet. After many hours try said we either have to pay 2,000$ to give him a treatment with a 5% survival rate and if he does survive he will suffer kidney…

My dog yesterday was acting odd and flopping over everytime he stood up and we took him to the vet. After many hours try said we either have to pay 2,000$ to give him a treatment with a 5% survival rate and if he does survive he will suffer kidney…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to deal with the death of my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to deal with the death of my dog?

How to deal with the death of my dog? General Dog Discussions
      My dog yesterday was acting odd and flopping over everytime he stood up and we took him to the vet. After many hours try said we either have to pay 2,000$ to give him a treatment with a 5% survival rate and if he does survive he will suffer kidney damage. Or put him down. We had to put him down. I can't deal with it. Everytime i come home he's not there to greet me. I just keep sniffing his collar and looking at pictures of him. I've had him for about 7 years and he died early because he drank antifreeze. We don't know where he got it but. I can't handle it. I have the image of him right as he was put down his little pink nose turning dark purple and I just can't. I'm crying constantly. What helped you deal with the sudden death of your animal?

How to deal with the death of my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • I woke up (after months and months of taking her to various Vets in order to figure out the problem) to my dog, dead on my bed. She quietly died during the night of sudden cardiac arrest. I had her 7 years. I know what you are going through. It was terrible.Grief is grief. I got so sick of people sending me the Rainbow Bridge poem - how does that help me now? The only thing that makes it better is time. That's true in any loss. Several weeks later, out of the "blue," I got a call from a friend who had rescued a litter of pups and wanted to know if I could foster one. Well, I went ot see them, there was that little face, and I had a new puppy! I realize that you don't replace a dog, but suddenly I had something else to think about.I also wrote about my dog - why she was so important to me, silly things she did, things like that, and I read it whenever the grief was really bad. Eventually I could read it and have happy memories.You know you did the right thing - there is life and there is death. It's the suffering that I have such difficulty with. If you didn't love her you wouldn't have made the decision to take her from a world of pain.I am so sorry - for you, for her, for your loss.And why do people poison dogs? I have no idea. I know it happens. If you think it was deliberate have you considered offering a reward for information?Again - my deepest sympathy. People who don't love dogs don't understand. Grief, as I said, is grief, no matter how many feet it has.Try to find some peace - write about her, plant a tree in her memory, track down the source of her poisoning.(She was beautiful!)

• Hi there... First off, I am very sorry to hear of the sudden death of your dog. I know how hard losing a dog can be, I've already lost 2, but you have to trust me that it will get better. Here are some suggestions and tips that I've come up with and that I've used when I have lost a pet in the past. 1. Every time you begin to think of him and feel upset, try to then think of all the good times both you and him shared together, and all the good memories. Don't only think of his last moments and how devastating they were as this will not help you mourn nor cope with the thought of him being gone. 2. Never think that forgetting him is the best way to go. You loved him right? Then keep him and his memories in you're heart. Actually, it's a good thing to think of him often, it shows you loved him very much. Also, it is completely normal to cry and feel very down right after you lose a pet. 3. Not at this exact moment but sooner or later you might want to think of the possibility of getting a new puppy. It may help you get over your dogs death and may make you a lot happier. This new puppy would NOT be to replace your older dog but to fill that empty space in your heart. It does truly help. (Dogs are instant Anti-depressants, sadness, etc.) It will also give you something else to think about. 4. Honor Him. It will help you and remind you always how much you loved him. You can possibly make a stepping stone for your lawn/garden in memory of him or something along those lines. Then when you look at what you have made for him, you can smile and think of him. That's all I've got for now. Hope you find happiness somewhere along the road. It will get better, good luck.

• There is no way to appropriately deal with handling the sudden loss of something you have loved, cherished, and who has loved you back for so many years, - 7 years. There's just no way. Everyone grieves in their own way and you'll just have to grieve in yours. This is truly heart-breaking and honestly I've very saddened and maddened by however was evil enough to place anti-freeze down for this poor dog to get into. *That's if this poor pup didn't drink it it's self if it accidentally found it around the house. Antifreeze is very sweet to dogs and most pups will automatically lick it up.Every year, a fast amount of dogs die from drinking anti-freeze and anti-freeze does kill by severely damaging the kidneys and other organs.With a %5 survival rate, there was no chance your dog was going to survive anyway, so why the Vet even propositioned you with the option is beyond me and very sad, I guess this Vet saw the pain you were going through with your animals circumstances and tried to at least give you a glimmer of hope or resort to some other option.This is sad beyond words and I hope that you take some happiness in knowing that you did all you could for your best friend/guardian, and know that your pup is in peace and his spirit rests happily since you had him humanely and peacefully euthanized. The poor dog being placed down is much better then having it live and suffer through all of the agony and pain associated with this poisoning only to die much later, after suffering. Words cannot describe how saddening this much be, and for such a handsome boy.My his lovely adorable and sweet soul rest in peace. You did the best an owner can do. God Bless you, and may you too one day meet again, at the other end of the Rainbow Bridge.You are gonna be sad, it's natural and it's OK to cry. You lost a best friend and you have the right to be sad, just take justice and strength in knowing that you ended this dos suffering in a peaceful manner. @ Katie - This dog was clearly a "he", not a she. On questions like this and to the degree of seriousness this question is, it's important to actually "read" the question, and understand the person.

• What a beautiful little doggie.You are grieving right now. There is no way to tell you how to deal with this. There is no way to deal with this. It is a process that one has to go through. Everyone grieves in their own time and way. Losing a dog is no different than losing a child, family member or best friend. It is the most horrible thing in the world.Unfortunately, time is the only thing that is going to help.My dog is 15.8 years old now. One week before his 15th birthday, he had a severe stroke. I cried for days waiting to see if he would pull through. He did thank God but the pain of just the thought of losing him made me feel like I wanted to die if he did.Just know that one day, all of the memories that are so painful now will one day turn into very fond and happy memories. I know it's impossible to think that right now but it will happen.I know my dog has limited time left and I can make myself sick thinking about it. I know I will feel the pain and loss unlike anything ever in my life.I believe that dogs go to Heaven. The same Heaven that we go to. Just know that one day when it is your time to go, your dog will be there waiting for you. Happy, healthy and in no pain. You will see him again. You will be with him again.I am so sorry that you are going through this. I know your dog was deeply loved. Take comfort in that too. Know that your dog lived a very happy and loved life.