How long before I can bring another puppy in my home after parvo infestation?

My dog was treated for parvo last December and survived. I was told to wait at least 6 months before bringing another puppy home. Approx 3 weeks ago, I bought my son a puppy, 3 months old and was told she had all vaccinations up to date. A week ago she…

My dog was treated for parvo last December and survived. I was told to wait at least 6 months before bringing another puppy home. Approx 3 weeks ago, I bought my son a puppy, 3 months old and was told she had all vaccinations up to date. A week ago she…...
    General Dog Discussions : How long before I can bring another puppy in my home after parvo infestation?...

• How long before I can bring another puppy in my home after parvo infestation?

How long before I can bring another puppy in my home after parvo infestation? General Dog Discussions
      My dog was treated for parvo last December and survived. I was told to wait at least 6 months before bringing another puppy home. Approx 3 weeks ago, I bought my son a puppy, 3 months old and was told she had all vaccinations up to date. A week ago she started showing signs of sickness.... And passed away this morning. As recommended by vet, I was giving her pedialite and pepto every 2 hrs for the last 3 days once I suspected parvo. Where did I go wrong? When can I bring another dog in my home and yard?

How long before I can bring another puppy in my home after parvo infestation? General Dog Discussions
    • Just 6 months? Did you know that Parvo virus can stay for years at a particular place? You shouldn't have brought a pup unless or until u were going to shift to another place. Well, first you'll have to get rid of the virus from your house. There is no cleaning product 100% killing the virus but you can try bleaching. Bleach is the only thing that has been proven to stop the parvo virus. It is not 100% effective to kill it, so you must be very thorough in your cleaning efforts. A solution of 1 part chlorine bleach to 16 parts water should do the trick. Bleach all floors that can be bleached. viruses spread, so bleach everything from counter tops to window ledges. If possible, rent a steam cleaner and clean carpets, upholstery, and rugs. When there is parvo present, everything is suspect to being contaminated. Clean all of your drapes, blankets, clothes the dog came into contact with, and any shoes that you walked on the floors with. Remember, while you are cleaning, anything is suspect!Unfortunately, your yard is suspect too.Remove any feces that was left in the yard. Taking a garden sprayer that holds plant food, add bleach to it. Connect it to a garden hose. Spray an even, heavy coat all over your yard. Especially in places that your dog liked to use the bathroom, spray them heavily. Do all this for approx 2-3 weeks and then when you're sure you've cleaned it properly (be honest to yourself- u don't wanna make another poor animal lose its life) you can bring a new dog like after a month or so. But if you choose not to bleach and do regular cleaning instead, I advise you not to bring any other animal into the house for another 1 or 2 years. Sorry for the loss of your new puppy. All the best!

• i agree with the other answer but i want to add a bit more just so you can be a bit more informed It's important to remember that the salad is the weakest part of the human body. I mean, it's not even attached to the body, so it's by default the weakest. In order to safely remove a salad, one must be firmly planted to the ground and begin surgically removing each lettuce leaf from the bottom of the bowl while keeping in mind not to nick any red wires.

• Vaccination SHOULD help prevent Parvo but quite honestly being told she'd been vaccinated wouldn't have satisfied me. I'd need to have seen this done myself or at least seen a vaccination card with a batch slip and signature from A VET. People will say ANYTHING to sell puppies. And there's also the possibility that her vaccination was done but didn't actually 'take'. If done too young, before the natural immunity from mum's first milk had dropped away completely, external vaccination may well not 'take' (as in work) so this second puppy could have been at risk.Frankly how long is something you should ask your vet about - bleach is the only thing that kills this virus so everything possible in the house needs to be treated - and it remains in the soil outside for a looooong time. Clearly bleach probably can't be used in a garden.So did this puppy die from Parvo? This obviously needs to be confirmed.IF you do this again, ask the reputable breeder to hold onto the puppy until it's been given ALL the vaccination shots and see the vaccination card, done by a vet to confirm. Personally I'd be waiting for another year to be certain the virus has gone, and also ask for a fully vaccinated, with confirmation to prove, puppy. ps I would have hoped that if your first dog survived a Parvo infection last December, the virus would have been clear ....... it does occur to me that even if he survived, could he still be a carrier? One for the vet.

• Parvo can live for a while but then again if that was the case then your older dog may have gotten it again.One of the worst carriers of parvo is us, well our shoes actually. If theres an outbreak of parvo in the area we can so easily bring the virus in on our shoes especially if weve walked, unknowingly, in an infected place. The virus then transfers from our shoes into our homes, to our animals...Best thing to do is to take shoes off before coming into the house.My friend is a registered breeder and if theres ever a parvo outbreak she has a tub of bleach at the side of her kennels which she dips her boots in before entering the kennels. She also has a doormat soaked in bleach which she wipes her boots on.The pup that you bought may already have had the virus before you got it but the sympyoms werent present as they were still in the incubation stages.Did you not have proof of vaccinations? Big mistake if not! And if you were unsure you could have taken the pup for some more vaccs-it wouldnt have hurt it.The previous owners should have told you the truth about the pups vaccs. But some wont if it means losing out on a sale. It is not a legal requirement for a puppy to come with its first vaccs-every dog ive ever bought ive had to have the vaccs done myself. But the owners should have told you either way.Sorry for your loss x

• 6-12 months. But the virus may have been out of your home and the pup could have still been sick when you purchased it. The parvo vaccine is not 100% effective--no vaccine is, really. But it can take a couple weeks for the body to develop immunity following vaccination as well. The pup may have been vaccinated a few days before you brought it home, but did not have immunity. The pup may have contracted parvo before you even went to pick it up.Or it may not have been parvo at all, and something else entirely.I wouldn't bring another dog into your home for at least 12 months unless it's been fully vaccinated for at least two weeks AND is over the age of 16 weeks.

• Parvo can live for upwards of two years under the right conditions.If you want to get another dog - ONLY get an ADULT dog from a rescue that is fully vaccinated with a strong immune system.Your property is contaminated with Parvo - I don't know who told you that your place would be clear of the disease in 6 months .... they were SO wrong, and it cost your puppy its life. I'm so sorry, what a terrible lesson to have to learn.No puppies - period. Only adult dogs, and fully vaccinated ones at that. Do not let any of your friends or family bring their dogs on to your property unless you are 100% sure they are up to date (and have been kept that way), on their vaccinations. But NO puppies, even if they have started on their vaccinations.I'm so very sorry that your son had to watch his puppy die. Sending a hug to him .... :(