So frustrated, Can't properly house break my dog because he has a disease. What to do?

So my 5 month old male maltese started to get sick and the vet thinks it could be parvo (even though he has his shots) , not entirely sure yet. Doctor said for now to keep him in the apartment so no other dogs can catch the disease. The problem is, I…

So frustrated, Can't properly house break my dog because he has a disease. What to do?

So my 5 month old male maltese started to get sick and the vet thinks it could be parvo (even though he has his shots) , not entirely sure yet. Doctor said for now to keep him in the apartment so no other dogs can catch the disease. The problem is, I…...
    General Dog Discussions : So frustrated, Can't properly house break my dog because he has a disease. What to do?...

• So frustrated, Can't properly house break my dog because he has a disease. What to do?

So frustrated, Can't properly house break my dog because he has a disease. What to do? General Dog Discussions
      So my 5 month old male maltese started to get sick and the vet thinks it could be parvo (even though he has his shots) , not entirely sure yet. Doctor said for now to keep him in the apartment so no other dogs can catch the disease. The problem is, I just got him like 2 weeks ago and is not house broken. He pees and poos all over my apartment and i really would like to take him outside to properly housebreak him but I can't because of his sickness. I am currently using those pee pads but he only goes on them sometimes, most of the time he'll just go pee/poo on the floor. I always pick him up when he makes mess on the floor and put him on the pad and praise him when he does go on the pad but he just doesn't seem to understand. Please help I am so frustrated because of this and his sickness. I feel like giving up on him but I know I shouldn't. I also can't monitor him 24/7 because I do go to school, so he's in his crate when I'm not home. Please please help I'm at the end of my rope here

So frustrated, Can't properly house break my dog because he has a disease. What to do? General Dog Discussions
    • He is 5 months old and sick, not a good time for the potty training I'm sure. I would keep him in the crate except for going potty to speed up the training. Get him out of the crate and take him immediately to the puppy pad and keep him there until he goes then put him back in the crate. Keep food and water in the crate so he won't want to "go" in the crate.

• Keep him confined to a smallish area if your home with an easy to clean floor and cover the entire floor with newspapers and puppy pads. Kitchens work well for this because people go into them often and can give the puppy some attention, check its water bowl, remove soiled pads and newspapers and so on.If your kitchen doesn't have doors (open plan?) then you need barrier gates to enclose an area there for your dog. "Drs. Foster and Smith" (online or through catalog of same name) has probably the best selection of dog gates for all kinds of openings, sizes of spaces and heights of the gates. It is probably cheaper to order what you need online than to have a pet store order them for you (and add a lot of other charges).Forget the housebreaking until you get him well. You can't, and shouldn't try to, train a sick animal. Keep him in an enclosed area, covered with paper and pads until then. You can even put his crate in the enclosed area if your kitchen is big enough. Then get the book, HOW TO HOUSEBREAK YOUR DOG IN SEVEN DAYS, written by Shirlee Kalstone, from Dogwise (www.dogwise.com) for $7.99 plus mailing costs. You may want to get the book ahead of time to read it all the way through and then re-read it as you progress with teaching the puppy. The book has an extremely kind, exceptionally fast way of housebreaking dogs and puppies.