I need to learn about ferrets?

I am getting some ferrets and my mom told me to learn about them. can anyone tell me about what they do, what they eat, or just anything?

I am getting some ferrets and my mom told me to learn about them. can anyone tell me about what they do, what they eat, or just anything?...
    General Dog Discussions : I need to learn about ferrets?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I need to learn about ferrets?

I need to learn about ferrets? General Dog Discussions
      I am getting some ferrets and my mom told me to learn about them. can anyone tell me about what they do, what they eat, or just anything?

I need to learn about ferrets? General Dog Discussions
    • http://washingtonferret.org/Here is a sight with alot of useful information please also read about the sickness that they ussally get as they get older! Also before you get one make sure you have a vet that takes care of ferrets because they have to have shots every year!!Ferrets are inquisitive, intelligent and playful pets that live for about six years. They sleep most of the day, but for the 4-6 hours that they are awake, they'll explore every inch of their home and try to play with you and their cage-mates. They love cheap toys like plastic shopping bags, cardboard boxes, old socks and ping-pong balls. Toys that make noise are especially popular, as are toys that indulge their instinct to burrow, like a "dig box" full of rice or a plastic conduit to crawl through. The ferret's curious nature can make it a challenging pet. Homes must be "ferret-proofed," so that the critters cannot get into anything that's dangerous to them. For example, the feet may have to be taken off your couch so that a ferret doesn't claw through the fabric underneath and explore the inside. Recliners cannot be used while the ferrets are at play, because the internal mechanisms could easily kill a ferret. Kitchen cabinets will need latches installed so curious fuzzies don't get under the sink and into the cleaning supplies. House plants, which can be toxic, need to be put out of reach so they are not creatively uprooted and relocated. Carpet scraps or plastic runners may need to be put under doors if your fuzzy likes to dig at the carpet there. Lastly, ferrets must be kept away from tempting chewy "treats" like styrofoam or rubbery textured items (remote buttons, soft rubber toys, etc.). Ferrets like to eat that sort of thing, however, small pieces may become lodged in their small intestinal tracts and cause a potenially fatal blockage. It can be a lot of work to make a home safe for a pet ferret, so many families will only ferret-proof part of the house. When not supervised, a ferret should be confined to a 100% ferret-proofed room or put in his cage. The ferret will adapt readily to your schedule. He will be awake and ready to play when you are, and will sleep while you are away. Ferrets are social animals and really do need your attention and should not be kept in a cage all day like a hamster! If you cannot devote some time each day to interacting with your ferrets, they aren't the right pets for you. Most ferrets are gentle pets that are easy to handle. Like any puppy or kitten, baby ferrets (called "kits") need to be taught when they are play-biting too hard, or they'll be difficult to handle as adults. Ferrets also need to be litter-box trained, but they take to that easily since it's instinctual for them to go potty in one place.Dangerous AppliancesBefore starting the dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc. always besure you know where all of your ferrets are. Ferrets like to sleep inpiles of clothes, and may not wake up easily. Being tossed in anappliance means certain death for your pet.If you have exposed 120 volt cords and you notice your ferretis a chewer of leather and/or rubber, coat the cords with bitterapple (found at your local pet store) to discourage chewing.Are they destructive?Ferrets may dig at the carpet near the doors when young. Sincethey’re instinctual diggers, you can’t scold them out of it. Preventingdamage to begin with, using rectangular mesh or an officerunner is most pleasant. Providing an appropriate place to dig,such as a dig box, is another solution.How long do they live?7-10 years.Health Care (Please see a vet!)Ferrets should receive yearly canine distemper (Fervac-D orPurevax) and rabies (Imrab-3) vaccinations. Vet care is similar inscope to a dog or cat care. A rainy-day fund is a wise investment.Get your ferret spayed before 7 months or neutered before 10months of age. If not spayed, females could die of anemia.Males will smell strongly, will mark everything in sight and willfight with other ferrets.Clip your ferrets nails (avoiding clipping the pink vein) everyweek or two. If your ferret fidgets, add a little Ferretone (foundat local pet stores) to his belly to distract him.Do not bathe your ferret any more than once every two weeks.This will actually make him smell more and will dry out his fur.Heavy brown-black earwax could indicate ear mites.Protect your ferrets from fleas. Some flea products like Advantageor Frontline are safe to use on your ferret. Do not use fleacollars as they are poisonous.Common signs of illness include:• Sneezing (cold or flu)• Vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite (obstruction, possiblepoisoning)• Drooling, weakness, seizures (insulinoma)• Frequent or difficultly urinating, hair loss (adrenal cancer)• Constant coughing, weakness (cardio-myopathy)• Sustained neon-green stools, soft stools

• I went to petco and petsmart and got information when i got a pet mouse so here you go...some info on ferrets http://www.petsmart.com/global/articles/article_detail.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673336362&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9852723696507215&bmUID=1170804200607&Ntt=ferret+care+guides&In=All&previousText=ferret+care+guides&N=2 http://www.petco.com/caresheets/small%20animals/Ferret.pdf

• I had a ferrert in the 6th grade and it would steal every thing whenever anything is mixing likje jewelry, socks, clothes, shoes, and al kinds of things we would find them in the ferrets little box and second make sure you get a ferret that has been de odororizedGood luck

• ferrets are cute, entertaining, and very funny!! however they are high maintenance. they stink if you don't clean their cage often, and littlerboxes should be cleaned ATLEAST daily. get 2 from the same litter, so they won't be lonely when your not around or something. i would recommend Marshall Farms Ferrets. you can look up their site, and it gives good info.ferrets also like LOTS of toys, and hiding places, and you should get a quite big cage, if you want them to have alot of room ,or your other option is to let them run in the house everyday. just remember they are prone to cvertain cancers, so before buying, make sure there is a vet somewhere near you for emergencies and such. and unlike the first answer, i told my knowledge, instead of copying, and pasting info, that takes up half the page.i hope this helps, and good luck with your new "carpet sharks"!!

• The best place to find what you're looking for is in the experience of others. While this place is a good start, you need places that will be available when you need it. First, get a copy of Ferrets for Dummies from a bookstore or your library. It's a ferret owner's bible. Next, join a forum or two. You don't have to own a ferret, but you do have to have an interest in learning about them. There are people of all ages there ready and willing to answer questions and share their experiences. Some have had ferrets for years, some are just starting, like you. A forum has a wealth of information at your fingertips about anything and everything ferret: health, training, ferret-proofing, etc. Good luck in your research and congratulations on getting one of the best pets in existence. I have 4 and never want to live without ferrets ever again.

• I own 3 ferrets. Some of the basic information I can tell you about mine is-Ferrets need at least 4 hours of out of cage time a day, some of this time may or may not be spent sleeping- ferrets have a high metabolic rate and eat 9-10 small meals a day, food and a constant supply of fresh water must be made available at all times. Water is essential as ferrets are prone to dehydration.-ferrets need a very high protien food. Raw meat is the best diet for them. If you go with kibble then they need a quality ferret food or kitten food. (not the kind that you buy for $6.99 a bag, your looking at $18-$29 for a small bag)-Ferrets need a big cage to run and play in when they are not out running around your house-Ferrets need Canine distemper and rabies shots every year. They need 3 of these shots in thier first year then once a year after that.-Most pet store ferrets are descented/fixed. if they are not fixed the female can die from going into heat and not being breed.-Ferrets can and will get into anything and everything possible under the sun. When you think you have ferret proofed the room, the ferret will show you in under 3 minutes how wrong you are.-Ferrets can live 10 years, Their average life span is 5-7 years.-The males generally weigh 3-4 pounds and the females 1-3 pounds. -Ferrets spend 18-20 hours a day sleeping regardless of their age-Ferrets are prone to getting adrenal Cancer which can result in surgery costing up to $1000. This is a very very common problem in ferrets. if you get a ferret, count on it happening and start to save $50 a month from the time you get the animal to pay for this surgery.-ferrets are susceptible to certain diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, dental disease, pneumonia and colds, to name a few.-Ferrets can learn tricks-Ferrets can walk on leash-Ferrets can be left 'free roam' in the house much like a dog or cat (I do not believe this is safe but many people do it)My ferrets do not smell. I clean thier bedding once a month. they have 3 litter boxes in thier cage (its a very big cage) one of each floor and 3 litere boxes around the room they can play in these are 'scooped' daily to remove solid matter.-Ferrets like to play. That means for a lot of the 4 hours they are out you should be interacting with them if you have a pair then its less of a problem but you will still need to interact with them.-Ferrets can and will bond with cage mates. If one dies the other may die of a broken heart.-An unscented ferret, if scared or startled will spray much as a skunk will but the smell is not as unpleasent and does not stay as long.-ferrets need to be taught that playing with humans is not the same as playing with other ferrets. They have very thick skin and a bite to them is nothing. to a human it would cause a bad puncture. So training is very important.-Ferrets can not be fed a lot of treats-Ferrets must use non-clay based litter and non dusty litter. Yesterdays news or the like work well-Cedar is very bad for ferrets-Ferrets are NOT a rodant. Ferrets are part of the Mustelidae family - their relatives include otters, minks, weasels and ermines. Unlike other members of their family, ferrets are not wild animals. In fact, ferrets have been so thoroughly domesticated that their ability to survive in the wild is virtually non-existent. -Ferrets are illegal in many states and cities in the USA and Canada-Ferrets catch colds and flus from humansEdited:-Ferrets are little thieves and will horde stuff away in hiddie holes-Ferrets will dig up the plants in the house-Ferrets need hanging beds, sleep sacks and blankets etc to sleep in, not wood chip kind of bedding often seen in rodant cages.Hope this helps

• I got two ferrets, but first I read every book and website that I could. One book that helped alot was actually "Ferrets for Dummies"I love my boys, but you have to make sure you are up for the vet bills. My Bandit got sick and between September and December we spent around $5000.00 on emergency vet visits, hospital stays, surgery and medicine. Not to mention having to had feed him 3 times a day, you had to plan going out around feeding times. In the end, December 19th, 2006, we ended up having to put him to sleep because the illness was too bad. So if you think you are ready for that then go for it.

• Get yourself a copy of Kim Schilling's "Ferrets for Dummies"! This is the best ferret resource out there! It is my ferret Bible! Do your research before committing to a new pet. Ferrets are carnivores, and they sell diets specifically for ferrets at pet stores. They are playful, sweet, and just amazing, but can have poor litter box habits.

• just a heads up if you have a cat dont get a ferret , they will try to eat your cat, also ferrets require alot of care as far as cleaning, if not properly cared for the will stink up your house. they are also very good at fitting into very small spaces, i have had ferrets and i think its best to get them when they are small or else you could end up with a mean or tempermental one. if you get them small and raise them then they can make very good pets

• OK i have a ferret heres some info: they are very sneaky and love to store food the are VERY energetic and must play all the timethey are smart & can open cage doors( use a lock) you can purchas a book at a local book store or pet store or go on the internet and search

• Ferrets tend to play ALOT!!! they chew on anything , they are escape artists, they smell funky like urine all the time even when clean. My advise, if you don't have a life otherwise dont buy a ferret cause they demand your undivided attention.

• Pet female ferrets should be spayed if they are not going to be bred. Ferrets go into extended heat and an unbred ferret without medical intervention can die of aplastic anemia.Ferrets need their nails clipped and ears cleaned on a regular basis. Regular nail clippers will work, and most pet stores supply ferret specific ear cleaning solution. Most ferrets also shed twice a year, in the spring and fall; during this time, it is a good idea to brush them regularly and give them a laxative or petroleum jelly to help any ingested fur pass more easily through the digestive tract.Frequent bathing is not necessary. Most sources recommend bathing no more frequently than once every 6 months, and many owners don't bathe their ferrets at all unless something needs to be washed off. Over-frequent bathing can actually increase a ferret's natural smell, as its skin works overtime to replace the oils lost in the bath.It is a misconception that ferrets smell bad. The bad smell usually attributed to ferrets comes from their bedding and litter box. Bedding should be washed or changed out regularly, and a ferret's litter box should be cleaned every day, or at least every other day. Depending on the cage, it is a good idea to take it apart and hose it down every once in a while, to remove material stuck in crevices.It is recommended that ferrets are taken to a veterinarian for a yearly checkup. Ferrets often hide symptoms of illness very well, perhaps from an instinct to not appear weak to predators in the wild. Any out-of-the-ordinary behavior is good cause for a consultation. Ferrets have high metabolisms and cancers can progress at an alarmingly fast rate. Early detection is critical.Ferrets are obligate carnivores; their natural diet consists of whole small prey--meat, organs, raw bones--not just meat, and they lack the ability to digest vegetable matter.There are a wide variety of ferret foods available at pet shops worldwide. A dry kitten food can also be used, as long as it provides the high protein and fat content required by the ferret's metabolism. However, most adult cat foods and many kitten foods lack the nutrition that ferrets require, as ferrets require more protein in their diets than cats. Low quality pet foods often contain grain-based protein which ferrets cannot properly digest. Ideally, a ferret food should contain between 32-38% protein and between 15-20% fat, with the top three ingredients meat-based.Ferrets usually have a fondness for sweets like raisins, bananas, peanut butter, and pieces of cereal. Such treats should be given sparingly (if at all), as their high sugar content has been linked to insulinoma and other diseases. In fact, veterinarians suggest not feeding raisins and the like to ferrets at all because they are known to hide their food, raising the possibility of a ferret hiding a large amount of raisins over time and then dangerously consuming them all at once.Some ferret owners feed a meat-based diet consisting of chicken, organs, bone, and whole prey like mice and rats. This is still common in Europe, and is becoming increasingly popular in the US as concerns are raised about processed ferret foods' high sugar and carbohydrate content.[edit] Feeding the Sick FerretIf a ferret does not eat enough or loses too much weight, it is a good indication that the ferret is sick, and should be taken to a veterinarian. Sick ferrets and those recovering from an illness or surgery will often need to have their diet supplemented. Often hand-feeding or, in extreme cases, force feeding may be necessary. This should not be undertaken without the advice of a veterinarian. Many recipes are available for feeding sick ferrets. They are informally known as "duck soup". A few recipes follow:Baby Food:An all-meat baby food such as Gerbers Chicken can by itself make a good supplement. Reading the ingredients and checking with a veterinarian is essential however because many baby foods have vegetable ingredients which are inappropriate and some contain onions which are known to be toxic to dogs and cats.[4] Easy Soup:Ferret kibble soaked in chicken broth or water Gerbers Chicken baby food Ferretone, Ferretvite or a similar vitamin supplement Blend it all up and serve warm. Tasty, Good Soup:Whole boiled chicken ( pull the meat and some fat off.) Reserve the boiled broth for the next step. Put just a little bit of the meat and fat into a blender and pour some broth into it and puree it until soup and *do it to all of the meat until all is blended and soupy. An easy way to freeze the soup is pour into icetray and *when time to serve a cube out and pop in the microwave. Soup should be served warm.I KNOW IT IS ALOT OF INFORMATION! BUT THEY ARE SUCH AWESOME ANIMALS! Hope this helps!