What's a small, low-maintenance dog for an apartment?

Hello everyone. I'm a 23 year old, single guy moving to San Diego this summer and want to get a dog (never had one before). I'll be living in an apartment by the beach, working at home or on the beach (via laptop) most of the time. I want a friendly,…

Hello everyone. I'm a 23 year old, single guy moving to San Diego this summer and want to get a dog (never had one before). I'll be living in an apartment by the beach, working at home or on the beach (via laptop) most of the time. I want a friendly,…...
    General Dog Discussions : What's a small, low-maintenance dog for an apartment?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's a small, low-maintenance dog for an apartment?

What's a small, low-maintenance dog for an apartment? General Dog Discussions
      Hello everyone. I'm a 23 year old, single guy moving to San Diego this summer and want to get a dog (never had one before). I'll be living in an apartment by the beach, working at home or on the beach (via laptop) most of the time. I want a friendly, social dog that wouldn't be too heartbroken if I wasn't home a lot, but would also enjoy spending time with me outside the apartment.I jog every morning, so the dog should enjoy running with me as well. When I do leave on business (1-2 days max per week) I'll be leaving the dog with the best sitter money can buy while I'm gone. Basically, I just want a dog that loves to hang out, but knows how to chill out on his own or with other dogs (i'll get him lots of toys too). Also, must be able to potty train and NO BARKING.ANY SUGGESTIONS? (dogs only please)P.S. - are chihuahuas and pugs too needy, or can i have them trained early on to be less needy?don't get me wrong, I WILL LOVE MY DOG, just want to get off on the right foot

What's a small, low-maintenance dog for an apartment? General Dog Discussions
    • A lot of my friends have pugs, they are not the easiest dogs to train but once they are trained they are really good dogs. The pugs that I know are friendly, and sociable. I would also recomend going to a dog obedience training class, this will help alot in the long run.

• All dogs are needy, and do not like to be left alone. If you are planning to be gone for a couple days every week, a dog may not be a good idea (dogs do not like to have sitters and/or leave their home to stay elsewhere)Chihuahaus are pretty high strung for an apartment.A shitzu poodle cross may be a good dog, as they could run, but are small enough and not too barky.

• If you want a dog that will run with you, I wouldn't consider a pug. They are cute little guys, but not much on physical fitness. I suggest you go to your local animal shelter, let them know exactly what you're looking for in a dog and they will be able to pair you up with a dog that best fits your lifestyle. It's a win/win situation - you give a good home to a dog in need and in return, you will get the dog of your dreams. Good luck!

• well by living in a apartment does have rules about having pets . i do know that will cost you extras money to have a pet in a apt . cause i do live in calif but i dont even live in a apt just a house . and i had to paid little money to have a pets . but umm well you dont want get a yorkshire terrier or chihuahuas cause they do will bark alot more then medium sizes breeds . so you said you like a dog that do like to play out door ect. well i think you should get some thing like a medium size dog that already trainned and already potty trainned too and is a queit one . you can go to the pet store or animals shelters and check if they do have any good dogs that you might want to get . not so many dogs arent prefectly . i heard that germsherper and collarspaniels and poodles are good breeds cause they do listening and do easly to be trainned well.

• I have a boston terrier who is great while I am at work, I do have someone check up on him during the day though, he is really high energy and I have him crate trained. A pug would also be a good choice, a French Bulldog, English Bulldog, Chihuahua, Italian Greyhound, Minature Pinscher, Scottish Terrier.

• i have a shih tzu and she is so loveable and good natured. she'll do anything to please you! the only thing is that most small dogs can't keep up with jogging, at least not for long, so that might not work. some shih tzus can be needy, but mines not. if you're home, she cuddles and loves, but she's content with being home alone as well. i actually think she likes her alone time. she doesn't bark much--only when she's protecting us from the people who have the gall to walk by our house, LOL. potty training was a little rough, but i do live in NY and she hates snow. in my experience, males are easier to housetrain.chihuahuas are pretty needy, as are yorkies. a pug, or a puggle, i think would also be a good match.good luck!

• I think that a mixed breed would be a good choice. you should go to the humane society and adopt a dog. the dogs from there are rescued and are fabulous because you have saved them and they realized that. if the dog is perfect, but barks then you can get their voice box taken out and they wont be able to bark.

• You should seriously consider getting a whippet. They are "medium" size dogs, but if you want a behaved, quiet apartment dog that is also playful, and active outside, you can't go wrong with a whippet. Whippets hardly bark and they don't mind sleeping all day when you're not home. Yet when you want to go out for a run, your whippet will be more than happy to accompany you. Whippets are quite friendly and affectionate and are commonly known to be lap-dogs. The same is true of an Italian Greyhound, which is smaller than a whippet, but they are MUCH more high maintenance. The Italian Greyhounds are difficult to housebreak and prefer to be carried everywhere. The other great thing about a whippet is they have very short coats and are well suited to the San Diego climate and you won't have to worry about grooming and shedding. Check out this linkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhippetI think you will be very, very happy with a whippet. Good luck.

• I know you said "dog" responses only, but it sounds to me like you need a cat. Don't underestimate the love of a kitty. They are wonderful companions and enjoy having time to themselves.

• All the breeds suggested already are great. It's up to you to do some homework and determine which is best for you.Then, I *highly* recommend the following:1) First, find a great vet in your new area and stay with him/her. Then, get your dog his shots at the appropriate time. The pup will start getting shots at 6-8 weeks of age. There are 3 sets, which are given monthly. These vaccinations are key, otherwise your pup can become ill very quickly. Please follow whatever your vet recommends.2) Get the dog microchipped and then register with the system (Avid is one such company) as soon as you can. Your vet can help with this as well. 3) At 5-7 months, if you have a male dog, get it neutered. If you have a female dog, consider spaying before her first heat (usually before 6 months). This is needed for so many reasons. Neutering/spaying will decrease the likelihood of your dog wanting to roam (or run away). It will also improve his/her mood, decrease the need to mark territory, prevent unwanted prenancies, and, most importantly, significantly decrease his/her chance of cancer later in life. All dogs should be neutered unless you are a trustworthy, experienced breeder or a shower of dogs.4) Get obedience training. This is for both the dog and YOU. I learned just as much in obedience training as my dogs. It helps you understand your dog more and makes life far easier. This will also help with any potential barking issue. Training will also help you with your own temper. Hitting a dog, screaming at it, rubbing his nose in his waste, etc., are all WRONG ways to raise him and are ineffective. I've gotten far more response from a look or simple hand gesture than I have with any scolding. Training helpse establish you as the "alpha dog" in the household, which is also crucial. Dogs that view you as subordinate are disrespectful and may even bite you!5) Find either a great dog-sitter, doggie day-care or kennel shortly after getting your dog. If your dog stays at a kennel or day-care, he/she will most likely have to be neutered or spayed and be vaccinated against "kennel cough". Finding a great place or sitter early will allow you to travel without guilt.6) Invest in a crate large enough to hold your dog as an adult. The sooner your dog is used to staying in his/her crate, the better. This will help with house-breaking as well. Plus, being inside his crate will help prevent chewing around the house when you aren't there (short-term only) or when you cannot watch him (even if you are home, puppies need to be supervised constantly when free). The last thing you want is to find your house torn to shreds because your dog was bored or that your dog ate something deadly.7) Lastly, remember that your dog is a living creature. Having a buddy is great. Just recall that your dog is also 100% dependent on you for everything - food, shelter, company, love, walks, etc. You can't expect your puppy to entertain himself and be this perfect pup while you are out partying all night. Having a dog is like having a child. Granted, the dog can stay alone at a younger age, but you also can't leave your poor pup inside a crate for 16 hours a day either. Also, a small dog can live as long as 18 years! Do not get a dog if you think that if things don't work out, you can just "get rid of it". This dog can be a part of your life for a LONG time. Are you ready for that? Most dog-lovers go out of their way to keep their pets healthy and safe. I've paid extra in rental securities for my dog - but it's always worth it. Just be prepared for this.Only you can determine if you are truly ready for a dog or not, but if you are set on getting one and really want to "get off on the right foot", then I recommend what I wrote above. Regardless of the breed you get, if you follow those seven items, you will have a friend that you will love you forever.Good luck on your move and your decision!