Are Alaskan Huskies good dogs to have?

I live in Nyc.

I live in Nyc....
    General Dog Discussions : Are Alaskan Huskies good dogs to have?...

• Are Alaskan Huskies good dogs to have?

Are Alaskan Huskies good dogs to have? General Dog Discussions
      I live in Nyc.

Are Alaskan Huskies good dogs to have? General Dog Discussions
    • Huskies are dogs that only experienced dog owners should have. They are incredibly stubborn, independent, and strong willed. Huskies have extremely dominant personalities, and will try to be the alpha if not disciplined from the time they are pups. They also need a ton of exercise, attention, and training to keep their active minds complacent. Are the goods dogs to have? Of course! But the better question is are you the appropriate owner to house such an exuberant, dominant dog? Make sure you've got the time and will to train and make him an obedient member of the family. Usually, these dogs also do not do well with small children, so thats also something to consider. But this is all general rule of them for the breed, each dog has their own personality.

• Breed do matter. HUSKY type dogs are NOT for the inexperienced owner.Alaskan Huskies are primarily bred as working dogs. They have greater endurance in sled racing than Siberian Huskies do. Gentle and playful, this cheerful dog is very fond of his or her family. A puppy at heart, they are clever, sociable and loving, easy-going and docile. Though they do generally have a lot of energy, especially as puppies. Good with children and friendly with strangers, they are not watchdogs, for they bark little and love everyone. Huskies are very intelligent and trainable, but they have a mind of their own and will only obey a command if they see the point and if you do not display leadership, they will not see the point in obeying you. Training takes patience, consistency and an understanding of the Arctic dog character. If you are not this dogs 100% firm, confident, consistent pack leader, he will take advantage if he can, becoming willful and mischievous. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Huskies may be difficult to housebreak. This breed likes to howl and gets bored easily. They do not like to be left alone, so if this is the breed for you, you may want to consider having two. A lonely Husky, or a Husky who does not get enough mental and physical exercise can be very destructive. Remember that the Husky is a sled dog in heart and soul. They are good with other pets if they are raised with them from puppyhood. Huskies are thrifty eaters and need less food than you might expect. This breed likes to roam. Alaskan Huskies can make wonderful companions for people who are aware of what to expect from these beautiful and intelligent animals. Although there are 'exceptions to every rule', there are a number of breed characteristics that are generally present among members of this arctic breed.however they are not consider pure and are not registered by the AKC or CKC because they are sometimes crossed with other Northern and non-Northern breeds.

• First of all are you sure you mean Alaskan huskies, although not technically a breed they are very much a recognized type, bred specifically to be the greatest racing sled dogs in the world. And they should not be confused with Siberians or malamutes, which are specific breeds.Alaskans are in fact bred to be working dogs, and as such they are very smart and in general eager to work with you which can make them easy to train, which my Sibe friends tell me is not the case with them. Working dogs tend to be high energy and will get bored and destructive if they are not getting the mental and physical activity they love.Alaskans have as many variations of personality as people. I can say honestly that I don't have a dog in my kennel I can't take for a walk off lead. But I also spend 4-6 hours a day with the dogs, and am always working on training, conditioning and socialization.If you really don;t have at least 2 hours a day to devote to the dog, might I make some suggestion. Do Not get a puppy, the time commitment is not optional when raising a Alaskan puppy, and you need to be willing to invest a significant amount of time with your husky in order to have one well behaved and trained. (which BTW a well behaved and well trained dog is ultimately a much happier dog. They know what you expect from them behavior wise, and how to act in different situations, it reduces stress and makes life safer for the dog)You might look into adopting retired racing husky, do not believe the Jack London stereotypes. Racing sled dogs are some of the best socialized dogs you will find, they have been over, around and in all sorts of situations from the remote to the crazy crowded. They have been crowed by strangers and vets, traveled long distances in trucks, camped out in new places, and been around loud noises and flashes. A husky retired from racing is not necessarily a dog who is too old to be fun. Responsible mushers make choices about which dogs to race based on what is best for the animal in question. Some dogs just aren't that into it after awhile. And they can make great pets. And if your re-homing a dog you will get to meet them learn about their past and judge for yourself weather or not you'll get along. Other thoughts, Alaskans have specific adaptions to deal with the cold, these same adaptions help regulate temperature in warmer conditions as well. So they will have no problem in most climates. they do shed, and you should never never shave your husky in the misguided hope it will help keep them cool. The same wonderful coat you will be brushing out while it sheds acts as insulation to help keep your husky both warm and cool.You should have a safe secure area to house your husky, and do not think that having a big enclosed yard can replace exercise time working with you. Because for your husky it won't. And if you are not already knowledgeable about the proper care, housing and feeding of the breed may I suggest you look at the very good information compiled by MUSH with PRIDE> although geared towards kennels the information is still great for single dog owners.http://www.mushwithpride.org/Pleased get your dog spayed or neutered. Unless you are a competitive racer or long time working musher with experience in breeding, genetics, and Alaskan husky bloodlines it is for the best if you do not breed your dog. And since there is no market for Alaskans, other then mushers who would not be buying dogs from unproven bloodlines and unknown people, there really is no reason at all for you to breed. Your spayed or neutered Alaskan will be less likely to have health and behavior issues as well, so it is a win win situation.Tulip---- did you just cut and paste that entire site? becuase it sure looks like it.