Are pit bulls good family dogs?

I rescued this tiny puppy from a box in an alley on garbage day. My daughters and I took him right to the vet and found that he is a 5 wk old pit bull puppy. I am a little concerned that he may attempt to be dominant with my children who are 13,11,and…

Are pit bulls good family dogs?

I rescued this tiny puppy from a box in an alley on garbage day. My daughters and I took him right to the vet and found that he is a 5 wk old pit bull puppy. I am a little concerned that he may attempt to be dominant with my children who are 13,11,and…...
    General Dog Discussions : Are pit bulls good family dogs?...

• Does the picture tell the story? If not I am a Shelter Coordinator for our local Humane Society and all 4 of my Pitties teach Pre-school, Elementary and Middle school children (along with my Akita) the Do;s And Dont's of Dog Safety...Not all pitties are great, but it mostly depends on you, you have to be the alpha dog, that doesn't mean you have to beat them but they have to understand you;re the boss.

• I have (2) 7 year old pit bulls that have been with me since they were puppies. They are great with my 13 year old daughter. She has been around them since she was 6 years old. My dogs love people. They don't know a stranger! I also have cats and birds and they are fine with them.I will be honest - one of my dogs developed dominance issues towards other dogs after she reached maturity. I have no problems introducing puppies to either of them, but I cannot bring in another dominant-willed dog. I appreciate your taking the time to learn about pit bulls, without prejudging them! As with most animals, it really is all in how you raise them.

• YES !!!! they are amazing family dogs, you have to show your dominance early or they won't listen to you... you could make him sleep by the foot of your bed, OK... I have done this and it might sound weird... bite them in the ear... not hard, but not too soft, other dogs do this to assert their dominance... biting legs are also dominance. if you get him neutered, he will be more gentle, or not, it's your choice...you eating 1st is dominance, he is a lower pack member so he doesn't get to eat 1st...

• They make wonderful family dogs! I have 3 kids ages 15, 12, and 10 and my APBT is great with them and their numerous friends who are always at my house! Just socialize him well and he will be a great pet for your family.

• treat it like you would if the dog were a yorkie or lab or poodle... like a normal dog and you should be fine :) i have 4 pit bulls 2 puppies and 2 grown i reasued them acutally, and the are wonderfull caring animals.take care :)