Regarding the spaying of a dog, I don't want her spayed but I'm a responsible owner.?

I may want to breed her sometime but she is well cared for and is never out of her yard. I did not know about the license fees and don't have a lot of money so can I just say I just got her?

Regarding the spaying of a dog, I don't want her spayed but I'm a responsible owner.?

I may want to breed her sometime but she is well cared for and is never out of her yard. I did not know about the license fees and don't have a lot of money so can I just say I just got her?...
    General Dog Discussions : Regarding the spaying of a dog, I don't want her spayed but I'm a responsible owner.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Regarding the spaying of a dog, I don't want her spayed but I'm a responsible owner.?

Regarding the spaying of a dog, I don't want her spayed but I'm a responsible owner.? General Dog Discussions
      I may want to breed her sometime but she is well cared for and is never out of her yard. I did not know about the license fees and don't have a lot of money so can I just say I just got her?

Regarding the spaying of a dog, I don't want her spayed but I'm a responsible owner.? General Dog Discussions
    • Seriously, no offense. But there are SO many things when considering breeding a dog. I would really recommend learning learning learning before you even CONSIDER breeding.It's just not a good sign of a good breeder to not even be aware of the process...really.

• Responsible owners spay their pets.It's what makes them responsible.Breeding is IRRESPONSIBLE!!!Unless you show her to her championship, have all the required tests run and are willing to LOSE money by breeding, don't.No one sets out to breed shelter dogs, yet shelters are full to bursting.DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!

• why say you just got her? bring her to the vet and get her spayed if you cannot afford the fees. you have not done anything wrong. you did not know you would have to pay, but now that you do, you are getting her spayed. Good Luck!

• Register your dog. It is for HER protection. Do the breeding now...and then get her spayed unless she is major Champion stock. Major. This is for HER protection. You can recoup your costs... and enjoy her for many years to come.

• this isnt really an answer to your question but im just sticking up for you... i am also a very responsible dog owner who wants to breed their dog.... hunny just do your research and learn all that you need to know about breeding before you do it.... i agree tho that if you cannot pay for one thing what makes you think you can afford to breed her.... how old is she can you wait until you are in the possition to pay for everything expected and unexpected... and if you are doing all that you can to protect her and keep her healthy then you are not an irresponsible owner at all ignor all those idiots... well not idioits but thats what i think of you when you are telling me what to do

• If you say you just got her, you will be expected to get her spayed and to pay for her license right away. If you lie and get caught doing it, you may have to pay further penalties for perjury. It IS a crime to lie to a law enforcement officer.Unless your dog is a championship quality dog, she shouldn't be bred. If you do decide to breed her, you'll have to get her OFA checked, Vetgen checked, pay for her prenatal care, pay for puppy shots and worming for all of her puppies, and find good homes (not responders to a newspaper ad) for them.If you don't have the money for the license, you won't be able to afford all the costs of breeding and then caring for the puppies until they're 8 to 10 weeks old. If your dog is not championship quality, she shouldn't be bred because you'll just be adding to the problems shelters have. This is because two of every five puppies eventually ends up at a shelter to be rehomed or put to sleep. It is not good that your dog has never been out of her yard. She should be walked two or three times a day - 5 minutes for each month of her life until she's 24 months old, and then you can walk her for as long as you like. How would YOU like it if you were never allowed out of your house and yard? Dogs, like people, need to experience the rest of the world in order to be happy, balanced dogs.When a female dog is in heat, she wants to mate, and this is natural. Being forbidden to mate can be very frustrating for her, and may cause a negative change in her disposition for about 3 weeks twice a year. To save her this frustration and to save yourself the expense of buying the panties and pads she'll need, just get her spayed and be done with it.Good luck!

• You can say whatever you want, its you that has to find the answers if someone tells on you? As for breeding your dog, please, please do thorough research before you embark on this costly and difficult path! Good luck.

• I don't understand what difference it will make whether you just got her or have had her for a year. Some people have already said, "If you can't pay for a license, don't breed her." Well, your financial predicament today is not always an indicator of your financial position a year from today. It is very important that if you plan to breed her you educate yourself on the process of breeding and whelping, and that you understand the costs involved. Whelping a litter of puppies is very expensive and you will make little if any money from it if you do it well. It is also very time consuming. You must socialize a litter of puppies (and a litter of 9 - 12 pups is not uncommon.) If you only spend 5 minutes with each of those 12 pups (hardly enough time to socialize them) that's an hour a day with the puppies. Add to that the time you spend cleaning, feeding, watering, etc, and you can see this is labor-intensive. Good breeders EARN every penny they make from a puppy!!So, if you are merely considering (as in, maybe some day I *might* *possibly* want to) breeding her as opposed to knowing that you want to but are currently in financial straits, I would take a hard look at why you don't want her spayed. An unspayed female is attracting intact males 3 weeks at a time twice a year, and she really doesn't make a very good pet during that time. Are you willing to take the steps necessary to prevent her from becoming pregnant during those times? Do you know what those steps would be? I'm not judging you, just asking some questions for you to consider.

• Are you aware a non-spayed dog is at risk for more health problems then a spayed dog? If you cannot afford the fee, you probably cannot afford to take her to the vet should any of these problems arise. Please get her spayed. Do not worry about breeding her as there are enough unwanted dogs in the world that really need your help to find a home. You breed, these dogs lose a home, or a life.

• There is SO MUCH that goes into breeding!! It isn't cheap either. If you can't afford the license, then to absolutely can't afford to breed. People say just do research, but that does NOT prepare you to breed. You can know a lot about many things, but you don't know anything until you've experienced it. Make friends with an experienced breeder. Ask them if they would help you in a sort of mentorship. You can help the breeder with her whelping dogs, take notes and get actual experience. This is SO important to do before you start breeding yourself. Take the time to get some hands on experience while you save some money to do become a proper, experienced breeder. Always remember, experienced or not, you always take a very big risk in the life of your pet when you breed them. I know this from experience unfortunately. Good luck!

• are you currently showing her to see if she is considered a perfect example of her breed? is she registered with a reputable kennel club? are you planning on having her hips, eyes, and elbows certified at age 2 and once she acquires her championship? what about testing for std's and other health and genetic factors for her breed? do you know all the dangers that can occur due to breeding and whelping? are you financially prepared to have an emergency c- section done or to stay up all night bottle feeding puppies if she rejects them?i am guessing by your question about license fees above that no, you are not prepared. not just financially but knowledge wise as well. please spay your dog and in the future, if you want to breed start by doing LOADS of research.unspayed females are at high risk for pyometra (deadly uterine infection), mammary cancer, ovarian cancer, and uterine cancer.

• Breeding is NOT cheap. PennHIP $300-600 depending on regionOFA, Hip and elbows $150-300 depending on regionCERF (eye exam by a certified veterinary opthamologist) $50-200 depending on regionPRA $165-195Brucellosis test, if natural breeding $75 (brucellosis is a sexually transmitted disease)Progesterone tests if Artificial Insemination $300Shipping of semen if Artificial Insemination $300Stud fee: Usually the price of one pup. Let’s be generous and say you will get $1000 perpup, for F1 pups. Higher generations sell for more, and the stud costs are much higher($2000-$3000). Even if you plan on selling the pups for much less, that is what the studfee will run. If you don’t have an established name, you may HAVE to charge considerablyless that the going rate per pup, despite the high stud fee. Materials and Supplies: Whelping box, heat pads, heat lamps, scissors, thermometer,towels, baby scale, tweezers, hemostats, alcohol pads, baby suction bulb. Build your ownwhelping box, $30Supplies,$200So total ranges from $2500-$3200 before your girl has even delivered her pups.After DeliveryMilk replacement formula, baby bottles, tubes for tube feeding, sterilizing solution, nail clippers $50Puppy worm medication (2,4,6,& 8 weeks), puppy diarrhea medicine: $50Food: a pregnant female needs about 4X what she normally eats, and a lactating female will also need extra rations. Growing puppies are also chow hounds. For a good quality kibble, probably $400 will be spent on mom and pups from the time mom gets pregnant to the time pups go to new homes Vaccinations (2 sets before pups go home) $160-300Cost of Hot Water, Electricity and Soap to do 2-3 loads of puppy/dog laundry every day for 8 weeks: Depending on region, $0.50 a load, $60 Electricity to keep pups warm:$50-200Time off work to monitor mom and pups for first 5 days (minimum).:Differentfor everyone, but likely to be at least $1000Chewing supplies: Either $300 to repair the walls the pups will chew, or $50 indog toys!Cleaning supplies: Puppies are pooping machines. Do you really want to use yourkitchen mop and bucket? Probably not. $30 for soap,bleach and supplies.Advertising to sell pups????So total at least $1700 by the time the pups go home. And one more thing. Many responsible breeders try to make sure the pups they breed do not then produce pups thatend up in shelters by having the pups they breed spayed and neutered before they are sold. That is $150-250 PER PUP. Doing the Math:8 pups in an average litter, but neonatal deaths average 25%, so that’s 6 pups to sell. These deaths often occur many weeks after delivery, after a fair bit of cash has already been invested in feeding and worming and vaccinating them. Keeping one for yourself or a family member? That’s one you can’t sell. So count on 5 pups to sell, projected raw income$5000. Wow, that sounds good! Add up all the expenses listed above(except the desexing, which not everyone does), and total profit, if all goes well, roughly $800. This does notaccount for all the time you spend talking with potential puppy buyers (you will talk with at least 10 people for every one that actually buys a pup), all the time spent cleaning,weighing, monitoring, handling and socializing the puppies. This averages at least 4 hours of work every day for 8 weeks. And that is if all goes well. But look again:Unexpected CostsEmergency C-section: $1200Emergency trip for eclampsia: $150 (often fatal if not caught early)Treatment for mastitis $175Treatment for pyometra (uterine infection) $250, and hopefully she survives....pyometra is often fatal.Vet visit for sick puppies :$150-$600Vet visit for mom dog running a fever, having diarrhea, etc $200These costs are unexpected, in that you cannot schedule them in, but they are not uncommon. Anyone who has bred for any period of time at all will tell you that one ormore of these events happens in AT LEAST 50% of litters. And sometimes more than one event in the same litter. Murphy’s Law is alive and well in the whelping world. So let’s be optimistic and say you have $300 in unexpected costs. Profit is down to $500.It can go on and on these costs! Sometimes it all goes perfectly...and other times there can be problems. You don't want to breed a dog that is not in excellent health or doesn't have good hips (an example, your breed may need different tests).Finally, did the breeder you got her from give you breeding rights? A good breeder either has a spay contract or agrees to allow you to breed your dog. Check your contract. If you do NOT have any contract...Anyway, just a thought. Go ahead and breed but please do it right.