Some Tips Needed About Golden Retriever as a pet?

recently I saw a movie called Air Bud and i simply was amazed at he Golden Retriever in the movie... it's a beautiful dog and i think it would make a wonderful pet . But, the problem is that i have never had a dog as a pet. So, I need to know everything…

recently I saw a movie called Air Bud and i simply was amazed at he Golden Retriever in the movie... it's a beautiful dog and i think it would make a wonderful pet . But, the problem is that i have never had a dog as a pet. So, I need to know everything…...
    General Dog Discussions : Some Tips Needed About Golden Retriever as a pet?...

• Some Tips Needed About Golden Retriever as a pet?

Some Tips Needed About Golden Retriever as a pet? General Dog Discussions
      recently I saw a movie called Air Bud and i simply was amazed at he Golden Retriever in the movie... it's a beautiful dog and i think it would make a wonderful pet . But, the problem is that i have never had a dog as a pet. So, I need to know everything about it from its Price in India ( I Live in kolkata) to its food habits, its longevity and what it likes to do and any other tpips that might have some use for me. Looking for some real, quick help....

Some Tips Needed About Golden Retriever as a pet? General Dog Discussions
    • Golden Retrievers are gorgeous dogs, and they are extremely well mannered, most of the time.They are one of two breeds of dog that I would recommend to anyone.They are usually great dogs for kids, they can be a little exuberant but are very gentle. They thrive on attention and being part of the family.Retrievers are known to be pigs of dogs- they will eat whatever they can find so its important that you feed them right and limit their access to other foods. They are large dogs so they will eat a bit of food. How much and what you feed it will depend on the quality of the food and the age and size of the dog.There are usually feeding guides on commercial dog foods, or you can contact your vet for more information.Goldens are large dogs, so I think their life expectancy would be between 12-14 years but im not 100% on that.Not sure how much they would cost in India. Here in Australia you can pick them up from around $400 but you dont want to be investing in a cheap golden. They have several hereditary problems including hip displaysia that you should rule out by buying a puppy from a good, registered breeder.Goldens have long coats which shed all year round, but they will shed more in the summer time as well. It makes for a very messy house- but its well worth it for the love you recieve from your loyal companion.As long as you are prepared to train and exercise your dog and include it in your family, you will have a loyal companion for life!

• Belinda has said a lot of what I was going to say. But I will add the following.While goldens are WONDERFUL companions and kid friendly dogs, they are extremely intelligent (train quickly at most things) and full of energy. They do require not only a lot of physical exercise (especially as pups) but a lot of mental stimulation. When the get older the need for physical exercise goes down, but they will always need the mental stimulation. They are always happy to see you, will play until the kids can't play anymore and will sit being content to be with you getting petted. Great family pet.

• The qualities you are looking for are common to ALL dogs. Dog breeds are like human races, it's the same genetic make-up for every breed/race. A dog breed is just its outward appearance, its phenotype. Personality is epigenetic, meaning it forms without help from genes or genetic traits.If you are set on getting a puppy, please get one that is at most 8 to 9 weeks old. This is important. At 8 weeks old, your puppy has just entered a stage of life called the 'critical period'. This period of time lasts 'til the age of 16 weeks. During this time, you should socialize your pup with your other pets. Be sure to reinforce positive behaviors your puppy shows around your pets. In this critical period, your dog must be exposed to every thing he or she will encounter in its adult life. This is also an ideal time to begin training your pup.Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.