how old does a female pomeranian have to be before mating?

i am not trying to breed her i was just wondering how ol she would need to be before i let my male pom around her

i am not trying to breed her i was just wondering how ol she would need to be before i let my male pom around her...
    General Dog Discussions : how old does a female pomeranian have to be before mating?...

• how old does a female pomeranian have to be before mating?

how old does a female pomeranian have to be before mating? General Dog Discussions
      i am not trying to breed her i was just wondering how ol she would need to be before i let my male pom around her

how old does a female pomeranian have to be before mating? General Dog Discussions
    • She should be at least two years old or have finished her CH title.There are a few health tests you should have done first before breeding. And be sure you find a stud that will strengthen her weak points and match her conformation.

• No dog should be bred before 1 1/2 yrs of age at the very youngest. The third "season" is a good indicator for the proper age. If your breed has health issues that need to be addressed before breeding (eyes, hips, patellas, etc) then these tests should also be done prior to breeding. Some tests are not done until a dog is 2 yrs old. You might consider joining a Pomeranian based Yahoo! egroup to find out what is best (and needed!) for your breed.

• After you have completed all the necessary genetic testing to be sure your girl doesn't carry any heriditary diseases, after you have gotten a title or two or at least have some legs towards titles, you need to wait until she has passed her second birthday to be sure your dog has fully matured and her own growth won't suffer from carrying a litter of pups.Unless you are willing to spend the money to do all the medical testing, invest the time and money to train and enter her in events where she can prove she has the proper temperament and physique of a Pom, you should really just spay her and simply enjoy her for herself.Having puppies is NOT a thing to take lightly. Anyone who produces a litter of pups should be willing to assume full responsibility for the pups for their entire life. Meaning that should the pup you brought into the world lose his home at anytime in the future, you should be ready and willing to take the dog back and find another home. If you don't, your pup might simply be another dog in Rescue or sitting in a shelter somewhere. Is that what you want for the pups you create?Also, breeding can be deadly, for the female and the pups. Many, many females die during whelping. As do pups, usually at least one per litter. It is hard, so hard, to bury a tiny body.There is also the expenses involved, that many people don't realize. Even in a simple, no complications, litter, you have vet visits, before and after delivery, worming and innoculations, extra food, loss of time on the job to stay home and monitor the whelping female, materials needed to assist the mother (whelping box, scale, etc.)...and the list goes on. Should there be complications, the cost of delivering a litter of pups can go far in excess of $1,000.Please do a LOT of research before considering breeding. There are millions of homeless dogs right now in the US. There is absolutely no shortage of dogs, no reason to pop out more pups unless you are willing to do it the right way.

• The best thing to do is to wait until they are at least 1-2 years old. The later the better, so as to give their little bodies time to finish developing. It's alot of stress on a little dog because their so much smaller. Before you breed, here's a piece of advice. You need to really think about whether you a ready to take on such a large responsibility and do as much research as you can.They are alot of work and you have to make sure you know as much as possible about the particular breed. Also remember that because these dogs are so small, things can go wrong and you have to be ready. If you decide to breed I wish you good luck! If you decide not to, then please get her fixed.

• Dogs usually go into heat around six months old but should be bred when they are two years old at the minimum and should not be bred every heat cycle. When they are in heat do not take them out of the confinements of your fenced in yard.