My Puppy has Parvo, What are his Chances?

I have a 8 week year old Lab Puppy, we got him 5 days ago from a licensed breeder...2 days after we had him we took him to the vet b/c he had diarrah, he was also due for his second set of puppy shots and was given them at this time. He was diagnosed…

I have a 8 week year old Lab Puppy, we got him 5 days ago from a licensed breeder...2 days after we had him we took him to the vet b/c he had diarrah, he was also due for his second set of puppy shots and was given them at this time. He was diagnosed…...
    General Dog Discussions : My Puppy has Parvo, What are his Chances?...

• My Puppy has Parvo, What are his Chances?

My Puppy has Parvo, What are his Chances? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 8 week year old Lab Puppy, we got him 5 days ago from a licensed breeder...2 days after we had him we took him to the vet b/c he had diarrah, he was also due for his second set of puppy shots and was given them at this time. He was diagnosed with an infestation of round and hook worms, which was a shock with in itself...2 days later he became very sick, depressed, vomiting and now bloody diarehea. We immeditly took him back to the vet and he was disgnoesed with Parvo....He has now been on IV fluids and everything else for 3 full days, to the tune of 2,888.00 dollars.We want to save our puppy, and don't mind spedning the money, but I'm confused...they tell me heshould get better, but he stil has direhha and vomitng though not as serve but still has it and I think he looks very depressed. I just dont want him to suffer and want to do whats best for him...I'm very sad to report my puppy died last night despite us doing everything we could for him. I'm just glad he is no longer suffering.Thank you all for your answers, thoughts and prayers.

My Puppy has Parvo, What are his Chances? General Dog Discussions
    • at the vet office where i work, we see alot of parvo cases. the fluids and antibiotics are great for your dog. although his chances are 50/50. i hate to be so blunt, but it depends on your dogs immune system and if he wants to survive. with him surviving 3 days, that seems to be in his benefit. and sometimes the diarrhea and vomitting can continue for up to 7 days. just let your vet treat him and i hope he survives this.......

• Parvo is a disease that dehydrates the pooch. Having him on the IV at the vet is the best and only thing u could have done. There is really no way to tell of guess if ur pup is gonna make it. I worked for vets for a long time. Some dogs responded well to the fluids...and others were just to weak to survive. The breeder should have had the pups dewormed before they were sold. I would suggest taking the pup back and getting ur money back. However, uve spent the money already, are emotionally invested, and if this breeder was the kinda person to sell u a sick pup, he will probably not spend the money to save it. My heart goes out to ur family and ur new puppy. I hope he pulls through, ur his lil' angel, because if you hadn't gotten him, he could have ended up suffering. I think ur doing the right thing, let the vet continue to treat him..If the pup doesn't respond to the treatment, and is suffering, I'm sure the vet will advise you what ur other options are. I hope he gets better!

• Your vet is an idiot! You took your dog in because he had diarrhea which indicates the dog is not well/healthy at that time. The vaccine manufacturers put right on the bottle that Vaccines are for healthy dogs ONLY. Your vet put a LIVE virus into your sick dog with worms along with other chemicals and further compromised the immune system. I beleive your dog got parvo from the shot he should not have gotten. Other might disagree but do your research on vaccines and fire your vet. Your vet has made your dog sick with no regard to the recommendations of the vaccine manufacturer and total disregard for what the American Veterinary Association recommends. Good Luck! Find a new vet!You might want to consult with a holisitc vet. Choose one who practices several modalities.Search by state here: http://www.holisticvetlist.comhttp://dogsadversereactions.com/vaccines.html

• I had a puppy also diagnosed with parvo and unfortunately he did not survive. Sorry but i think pups usually don't survive,I've heard of older dogs to survive but will be on medication for the rest of their life.

• Im so sorry your going through this...both of you. God works miracles...Ive seen it with my sisters dog when it had parvo. Yes, she had to spend about 2 weeks in the hospital and very close observation during and after...and much money spent. Shes still alive after 4 yrs and on the go! I believe God has a plan for your pup. Trust the process and except that the process might not be what YOU want or expect....But, it could turn out like my sisters. Ultimately you will know whats right for you. Peace to you and your family and your loved puppy.....

• Back in 1999, I got a 9 week old puppy from a friend of mine. I named him Niki. Unfortunately when he turned about 8 months old, ho got PARVO. Me being his owner and parent never took him for his vaccines and felt terrible about it. We had took him to the ER Vet and spent around $300.00. Luckily with lots or prayers, he survived. I actually took him home that night and prayed so hard for him & asked all of my friends and family to do the same.I know Parvo so deadly to animals especially when they are babies but I do know if he really wants to live and you have your faith, he will make it through.I just took my pug puppy Sally in today as a matter of fact to the ER in fear of Parvo. The doctor thought I was insane because she seemed healthy other than being a little lazy/lathargic today. I didn't care it was worth the $102.00 just so the doc could tell me I was being too dramatic/overbearing.I will pray your pup gets well and lives a long and healthy life like my Niki has and still is...GOD bless*

• My black lab pup got parvo at about 6 weeks old. We couldn't afford to check him into the vet, so he sent us home with some medications and we took care of him ourselves. It was a few very scary and sleepless days and nights until he started to perk up a bit.I hope your dog pulls through. I know how scary this can be. If he does make it through, once he's feeling better he'll be back to being a normal bouncy puppy.

• First that sound very high. I have just been in the same boat u are in. I have lost 3 to parvo. I have had two get over it. At first One of my beagles got sick and I took him to the dr and fround out that it was parvo, well we had his 2 brother and his sister. They of couse got it, bythe way he was not in the hospital he stayed home and i treated him, he is going strong today. Then the other 3 got sick, I rush then to the vet after I had his sister go into shock. she died that night and one of his brother died the same night. The other stayed inthe hospital for 5 days and came home going strong. But no one told me that Parvo can live in your hourse for 6 months to 1 + yrs. I broght home a boy and girl 8 week old shih-tzu. of couse they got it 2 weeks later. By the way they all had there shots. by Wills Animal Hospital. We took them to the vet first sign of parvo and the little boy did not make it,the little girl stayed one night and was able to go home on meds. Itook care of her she is doing great! now you would thank this is the end, the one that spent 5 days in the hospital, about 3 weeks later bit into the cord off my window aircondier. I took him back to the vet for one night, I had to put him down becouse his lungs was fryed like popcorn and he was having seirzer and would have them for the rest of his life it by chance he made it. they was given me a 10% of him making it!My vet bills all added up cost me $ 1,985.26 now that is for all the hospital stays and all the meds and visits everything, sounds like your vets are overchargeing you.But if he has been in the 3 days and is showing little inprovement the I am pretty sure he is going to be Fine. With parvo they will be very depresseded. put they have med for him if he is in any pain and sounds like they will not wasty anytime about giveing it to them. "more money" But give in at lest 7 day in the haspital before putting him down, unless he gets worst. By they way DO NOT GET ANYOTHER PUPPYS FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS TO 1+YEAR. YOU CAN CLEAN WITH BLEACH, I DID IT DOES NOT KILL ALL OF IT. also all this happen in the last 3 months. the last one that killed him self was 5-29-07 so my pain is still real.I will be praying for you and your family!

• He might make it. My boyfriends great danes had parvo at the same time and they sent one of them home because he was better but the other one had to stay a couple of days and she got worse so the vet told them that there was nothing more he could do and that she probaly wouldnt make, so he sent her home and she made it through she just had her first litter of puppies. So you dog might just have a chance too.

• Parvo is very seriouse. My puppy has parvo when she was young and thank goodness she lived. We couldn't afford to keep her with the vets but they gave us pills and special food for her. We had to force feed her because she wouldn't eat, and make her drink gatorade because all that vomiting makes them really dehydrated. You just have to do the best you can, give them lots of love and hope things will work out for the better. My dog was sick for about 2 weeks with parvo. And one thing I noticed is that she kept getting worse and worse, then one day she was eating all by herself and just sprung back very quickly. I hope your puppy makes it. Good luck.PS: most puppies get parvo from the dirt outside, I think, we had to spray our yard to kill it, you might think of doing the same if you havn't already.