Can you keep a border collie in an invisible fence?

Before I get lectured, the dog would have PLENTY of room and PLENTY of physical/mental stimulation. We have an underground wire that we put underground and it acts as an electric/invisible fence. If you got a border collie puppy still very young ( less…

Before I get lectured, the dog would have PLENTY of room and PLENTY of physical/mental stimulation. We have an underground wire that we put underground and it acts as an electric/invisible fence. If you got a border collie puppy still very young ( less…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can you keep a border collie in an invisible fence?...

• Can you keep a border collie in an invisible fence?

Can you keep a border collie in an invisible fence? Dog Breed Discussions
      Before I get lectured, the dog would have PLENTY of room and PLENTY of physical/mental stimulation. We have an underground wire that we put underground and it acts as an electric/invisible fence. If you got a border collie puppy still very young ( less than 3 months ) could you train it to stay inside the perimeter?

Can you keep a border collie in an invisible fence? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It will eventually learn where the fence is and to stay away from it. I've heard of dogs getting used to it and being able to get past the perimeter but it depends on the size of the dog and the quality of the fence but your border collie should be fine. Hope this helps :)

• You would have to do a lot of training to get the dog to understand the concept of it, but it is possible. My concern is that stray animals will be able to wander on to your property and attack your dog. "Plenty of room" usually means that plenty of people like to drive out and dump animals in the area, who end up rabid, mangy, or half-starved by the time they get to your house. I'd personally want the security of a fence, but it is perfectly acceptable to have an invisible fence to contain your dog.

• We use a perimeter collar which is totally different to an underground fence. It's made by petsafe. You plug the box in and set the perimeter how you want. The collar the dog wears deeps to let them know they are getting close to the line and when they cross it they get shocked. But unlike the fence it keeps shocking them until they get back in the perimeter. With a fence the dogs can jump it and it will stop shocking. I love the persafe!!! You can add as many collars to it as you need to. We have two dogs that use it an American bulldog and a dalmation/border collie mix.