Help with my new pitbull puppy?

I got my new puppy when he was 1 day away from turning 5 weeks. I know that it was way too early for him to be away from his mom and littermates, but the previous owner had to go to the hospital and couldn't take care of the puppies anymore. So my…

I got my new puppy when he was 1 day away from turning 5 weeks. I know that it was way too early for him to be away from his mom and littermates, but the previous owner had to go to the hospital and couldn't take care of the puppies anymore. So my…...
    General Dog Discussions : Help with my new pitbull puppy?...

• Help with my new pitbull puppy?

Help with my new pitbull puppy? General Dog Discussions
      I got my new puppy when he was 1 day away from turning 5 weeks. I know that it was way too early for him to be away from his mom and littermates, but the previous owner had to go to the hospital and couldn't take care of the puppies anymore. So my question is, my puppy whines a lot. Literally any time I'm not next to him, he whines. I know it's because he's still too young to be without his mother and is probably lonely, but how can I help him build confidence and understand he is still ok? If there isn't anything I can really do, how long will this behavior last?Also, what are some things I can do to get him to stop biting? He does it playfully, but it can hurt and I have a 10 month old son so even play biting really isn't an option.

Help with my new pitbull puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • give him lots of kisses and hugs, and if he bites, take his lip into his mouth so he bits his lip and he stops. if you make pitbulls ok with hugs and kisses and teach him to be really gentle and sweet, he will grow up to be gentle and sweet, but you have to start now. and giving him hugs and kisses helps

• Well he needs to feel cozy and secure, so nestle him in his crate with nice warm towel and blankets (old ones that you don't mind getting soiled). Also sleep with the puppy blankets in your bed for a night so they smell like you. Place a ticking clock in his sleeping area (the sound soothes them for some reason). Also make sure he's full and take him outside as frequently as possible. As for the biting, I just recommend you keep a close eye on the puppy until both him, and your son are more mature.

• He's going to cry for a good period of time, at times yelp even LOUD yelps. Invest in ear plugs for night. As far as confidence it'll come over time, the last thing you should do is want to over nurture him. Put some soft padding and stuff he can snuggle up to in his crate and let him do what he do. The biting just correct him whenever he does it, it again is not going to stop just like that. It takes time, patience, and repetitiveness. Especially with this breed.

• you have a big problem on your hands. puppies are taught that nipping too hard only "gets the game to end" by mom (this will help with your son and pup: www.dummies.com/how-to/content/puppy-training-stopping-nipping-and-mouthing.html). he probably never go the chance to learn this lesson. he also most likely didn't learn bite inhibition. he is essentially still in the stage where he doesn't know right from wrong. Dogs at this age also learn what they “are”. At this time if they are introduced to cats they think cats are a normal part of daily life. normal puppies learn all these basics from mom, and later on rules from you. he never got the chance to learn from mom, so you need to step in and be “mom” for him.the problem is not as much the whining but instead making sure he becomes a well adjusted dog: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/09/29/puppies-taken-from-litter-too-soon-develop-behavior-problems-as-adults.aspx go to your vet and together develop a plan to turn into his “mom”. Basically just teach him the same rules a mother dog would. This is also the time when he is SOAKING up information. You are literally shaping his personality: http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-articles/socializing-your-puppyfor the whining, if need be, invest in some earplugs. It will teach him nothing if you give in to his whining and will not comfort him either. What WILL comfort him: try an alarm clock or something like it that will tick continually. Maybe a quiet radio or music would work instead. Try out a kong toy. dogs love having something to do and that will take his mind off being scared. Next try a warm (not hot! Make sure it doesn't burn your wrist) bottle placed next to him while he is sleeping. make sure he has something that smells like his dam or litter mates, maybe a blanket?MOST IMPORTANT, get him a crate! The dam provides a secure base from which her puppies can explore the world . His crate will turn into his dam, and become his “safe place”.how to train him later (remember, never use negative (ie "no!") reinforcement at this age, only use it later on around 3-4 mo): You need to teach him bite inhibition http://www.doggonesafe.com/teach_puppy_not_to_bite and if he is chewing up stuff/your hands get a foul tasting spray to make him dislike hands in his mouth. Next as he gets older you need to teach him some basic commands like sit, down, shake, stay, heel etc to establish some boundaries. How to teach each command is available online, just Google;”how to teach a puppy to...etc” then comes the “teenage” years. These are very tiring few months. Your dog will become a willful barking/biting adolescent. Here is how to cope with it: http://www.peninsulahumanesociety.org/re…