Why are people so intense re: mix breed dogs?

I just adopted a Schnoodle from a family. This dog is the best dog we've ever had. I don't consider him a "mutt!" He's sweet, smart, loving & great w/ my three kids. I would love to get another one. As far as breeding them, I feel that so called…

I just adopted a Schnoodle from a family. This dog is the best dog we've ever had. I don't consider him a "mutt!" He's sweet, smart, loving & great w/ my three kids. I would love to get another one. As far as breeding them, I feel that so called…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why are people so intense re: mix breed dogs?...

• Why are people so intense re: mix breed dogs?

Why are people so intense re: mix breed dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I just adopted a Schnoodle from a family. This dog is the best dog we've ever had. I don't consider him a "mutt!" He's sweet, smart, loving & great w/ my three kids. I would love to get another one. As far as breeding them, I feel that so called "Professional Breeders" don't like other's breeding them, that's why they sell them fixed, so they won't have competition. I would like to breed my male schnoodle w/ a female to be able to give the puppies to family & friends. Not everyone wants money, but if I did, it's a "free" world. If I found after the first litter that I could give or sell them, I would keep the few left and fix the dogs. But, having a Schnoodle, I guarantee it wouldn't be a problem getting rid of the pups.I did not purchase the dog. We found an ad on the net looking for another family to adopt their dog. I also feel that one of the problems w/ soo many dogs being killed in these pounds is because the want soo much for the dogs. They need to change it to purchase an abandoned dog/cat. I feel adoption shouldn't cost people anything. But of course that's my opinion. Oh, Bichon's are gorgeous!There are professional breeders of these mixed poodle breeds. I guarantee I won't pay $800-2000 for a dog that is fixed! Most breeder insist you fix the dog, or they will drop the medical warrantee on it. But let me guess, that's not "cornering" the market??LOL! Ok, relax now! I first off didn't know what the dog was when I adopted it from the family. So I didn't intentionally seek out a Schnoodle, get that straight! I was taking the dog no matter what breed. As far as your issue w/ saying that Schnoodles are nasty or mean, just like w/ Chows, Pinchers & Pits, it's how the owner raises the dog. Now as far as breeding "My" dog, I would do it to give to family & friends. You can say he's a mutt, get off on it if you must! But, a purebreed can be just as nasty as any other dog & can be dumped at a pound too. Like I said, people are sooo intense on their opinions, relax! And I've never & would never "dump" a dog or puppies in a pound. And if I breeded puppies, they would only go to people I knew, friends/family members. So relax already! LOL!I wish I had the means to adopt from a pound many dogs, but I don't. I feel sorry for those dogs that are put there. That is why when I found this dog, I took him. The previous owner gave him to us to avoid dumping him off in a pound. She choose us to take him. So, in a way, I or We saved Blackie's life by taking him. He was on his way to the pound, now he's with our family being loved by all.LOL! Maybe Zam & some of the other's going on about the Mixed breeds being mutts and about the cost of them are just jealous because they can't afford one? Just a thought! And if you are worried soo much about the one's in the pound, why don't you adopt some? I would, I just happen to run across one that was being given away first. Otherwise we would have ended up adopting from the pound. : )Sweetie, if I choose to breed to give to family & friends, it's just that my choice! But thanks for the advice re: the small dogs, I'll check out the sites! : ) All I can say is RELAX! Mutt this, mutt that, are you a purebreed?? LOL! Didn't think so! So maybe you should be called a mutt too?? No I didn't think so! LOL! Get over yourself! LOL!I didn't even know what I adopted until I got home. So I didn't seek out a "Designer" dog. I sought out a small, inside dog that would be a good family dog. I actually thought it was funny when I realized that they called him a "Schnoodle." I wouldn't care what he's called, he's our's and we love him, no matter what he is.Look, some of you are really trippin re: these so called designer dogs. Is your life going to end if someone breeds or buys one? If you breed pure breeds, good for you. It's a free world, do as you please. But like I said before, I would only give them to people I knew, and I would make sure just like you that they go to a good home. But I guess only pure breed breeder are intellegent enought to think about that! LOL!If you actually think about people calling dogs "Mutts" is kinda stupid. So would humans be considered "Mix Breeds"&"Mutts?" Just a question. Hey, if your well off and can waste $1500-2400 on a dog, go for it. But don't put down these dogs. They are actually gorgeous animals. Don't hate, appreciate! LOL! Have a good night!

Why are people so intense re: mix breed dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • I have a 14 week old Bichonpoo and I am insulted when people call her a mutt. She is unique. She is a very cute, smart well behaved dog. Unlike the purebreds she doesn't have the health concerns. I wouldn't breed her but that is a personal preference but I agree people are too intense about these dogs. I have seen Schnoodles and they are adorable. My Esperanza's picture is at left.

• they fix them because the parents are typically low quality ... if the parents were HIGH quality they would be breeding Purebreds...see the thing is.. to prove a dog is breeding quality a dog must compete in dog shows to show they are an excellent example of the breed WORTHY of passing on his or her genetics... people who intentionally breed crosses havent done this - because if they had (as I said already) they would be breeding purebreds...also a dog should be checked by a vet for breeding soundness and the puppies should come with health guarantees..no.. it probably wouldnt be a problem "getting rid" of the pups.. but unless you are prepared to do proper home checks like a reputable breeder would.. how can you be sure the homes they find are good... how do you know the person isnt going to indescriminately breed those dogs.. creating the problem that already exists - too many mixed breed dogs and not enough homes....did you "adopt" the dog or buy him??? really adopting is only done at SPCA's not through the public unless it was at no cost (SPCA are non-profit so even though they charge its much less than you would pay for buying a dog)***ADDITIONAL INFO****good you didnt pay.. but I bet the orignal owner did... ok Adoption places charge so much becuase they have to recover costs of vet check vaccinations and deworming.. they are non-profit so are not getting rich off of it beleive me... if they adopted the pets for free.. they would soon be closing their doorthere people breeding cross breed dogs MIGHT consider themself "professional" but because the dogs havent proven to be breeding quality these people are certainly NOT ethical or responsible...I dont own a dog but if I did I would probably go to an SPCA to adopt rather than put the money in the pocket of some greedy unethical breeder...

• please let me point out something here, most professional breeders dont breed just for the cash ,in fact sometimes ,you lose money , as for mixed breeds, they great dogs ,and better than pure breeds because they tend to stay healthy better than the pure one , but i cant really see a good reason to breed a cross breed, they are harder to sell,and they are tons of them in the pound waiting for homes,one more thing,there is no guarantee's is this life... good luck

• I have raised dogs since I was a kid and it just seems funny to me now that the dogs that used to be considered mutts are now selling for big bucks. I think it really doesn't matter as long as you are getting a dog with a good disposition and such. Some people just put way to much importance on "pure breeds"

• Breeders do not sell them fixed so they do not have competition the reason breeders sell them fixed is because there are a lot of idiots in the world who look at their dogs as a way to make a profit, but the same idiots will not make sure the parents are healthy by vaccinating them, health screenings, etc... and once the puppies come along they do not care where and with who they place the puppies and they do not get puppies vaccinated or even checked by a vet all they care about is making a buck so they will not invest any of their own money to ensure the pups well being, and if the new owners can not keep a puppy these breeders do not care and they will not take them back or even try to help re-home the puppy, good professional breeders will always take them back. As for it being a schnoodle and you guarantee you can "get rid of the puppies" you really need to wake up, dogs of all breeds and mixes are constantly dumped at the city pounds and shelters and there are not enough homes for the animals waiting for homes.For the record your dog is in fact a mutt, it is a cross between a schnauzer and a poodle, but any dog regardless of breed pure or mixed can be sweet, smart, loving & great w/ kids it is all a matter how the dog has been trained. By the way your dog may be all you mentioned but one of the nastiest dogs I know is a schnoodle, it even tried to bite my son. before you start breeding more mutts maybe you should take a trip to your cities pound and some shelters and see if we really need more mutts being bred just because it is a free world. I own 5 dogs 2 are pure bred pedigreed German Shepherds 1 imported from germany, 2 are minature doxies one was adopted and the other was no longer wanted, 1 is a mutt German shep/lab mix that I adopted and I foster dogs all the time so that thay become socialized and be better suited for adopted, it is a shame people spend so much for a designer dog (mutt) rather than adopt one of the many animals that need a home. I do practice what I preach!!!

• Because we think you are crazy to spend hundreds of dollars for a mixed breed dog (maybe you didn't, but your neighbor did) when millions of them are euthanized every year. There are good and bad dogs of every breed, popular or not, designer or not, mixed or not.Because many of these designer crossbreds have the health problems of BOTH parents-- I can't tell you how many Goldendoodles I see with the hairy ear canals of a poodle in ears the size of a golden, with the recurrent ear infections common to both breeds. Because many people who buy dogs do it for the wrong reason (status), not because they love dogs- if they did, they would rescue a dog that needed a home, and they wouldn't look down on people who do rescue dogs just because they don't have purebreds. Because most who buy these dogs don't even do basic obedience with them, let alone any kind of socialization or training, so you end up with poorly adjusted dogs that you give away (where did you say you got your dog???), put to sleep or leave at a shelter when they get to be too much of a problem or too expensive. Or you keep insisting to the vet that you can do anything with the dog at home, it's just at the vet that he bites, but then you tell the vet you can't clean his ears, trim his nails, give him meds, and you can't even get him off the couch when you want to watch TV! And then you expect your vet to fall down and worship your mixed breed dog because you spent a fortune on him and he is a "designer breed!" As for breeding him, he is probably an F1. What makes you think the F2 generation will be the same? And aren't there enough dogs being put to sleep without you intentionally creating more? For every puppy you produce, one less that already exists finds a home.For those of you planning to send me hate mail, I have a mixed breed dog I got from a shelter, and she is healthy- never an ear infection or hot spot, and she has clean teeth at 10 yrs old. I can walk her anywhere, and regularly take her to JIffy Lube, Petsmart, etc, where she behaves herself and is always welcomed back. Which proves the point that we all think our own dog is best, which is probably as it should be!

• I know!!! The first time someone said "He's just a dumb mutt!", I wanted to pounce on them. :) But I do love my maltipoo so much and I wouldn't trade him in for any other pure breed.

• I use to work at a shelter. If you had to help euthnize 70-80% of the animals that came in you would think differently. You look into the eyes of the animal, hug him and kiss him good bye. Hold him down as the vet puts the needle into his foreleg and feal his body go limp in your arms. You then put his lifeless body into a garbage bag and take his remains to the local dump. That is what happens . It's the sad painful truth and the only reason why these animals are put to their deaths is because there are not enought homes. As for the adoption costs they got to the shelters, they have to pay electricty bills, heating, water, garbage disposale. Plus the animals come with a vaccination and usually a discount on spay or neuter(unless it is already done) Not to mention the emotional good fealing you get when your realize you saved a life!

• If you really "felt sorry for the dogs in the pound" like you claim, you wouldn't be saying stuff like <<I would like to breed my male schnoodle w/ a female to be able to give the puppies to family & friends.>>You're contradicting yourself.If you want another one, go to http://www.petfinder.com and check "Shelter and Rescue Groups" and then contact the Poodle and Mini Schnauzer rescue groups near you. But for god's sake don't bring any more puppies into this world when there are already millions killed every year because there aren't enough homes.

• It doesn't matter what you consider you schnauzer poodle mix, you could consider him a penguin for all it matters. The truth is no matter what you consider him, he is a mutt or mixed breed. There is a lot more to developing an actual breed of dog than tossing a male and female together and giving the offspring a cutesy name. Being a mutt does not make your dog less special...the people who make up "breed" names for mixed breeds are the ones saying a mutt isn't good enough.

• The reason that we charge people to adopt dogs is as a good faith kind of thing. And not only that but it cost's a LOT to get these dogs cleaned, fed, and rehabilitate. Any dog that is not a purebred is a mutt. Puppy mills and BYB's have started the term "designer dogs" for mutts. I have nothing against these dogs as I love all dogs but they are much more prone to health problems and joint problems. As for giving a dog away, when somebody is given something it is much easier for them to throw it out than if they had to spend $1500 or so dollars on it. And they have to want that object pretty bad in order to spend that kind of money on it. So even if your clients are happy to be given a cute puppy, if they decide they are tired of that baby (usually around the 18 month mark) then they can simply throw her out or dump her at the pound without much remorse. People don't care, that's what you have to understand. If they did, then every dog would have a home (and every home would have a dog). Those of us who breed and show are EXTREMELY careful where our puppies end up and we use the spay/neuter contract to make sure that our pet puppies don't end up in the hands of people who are going to breed less than quality dogs.

• LOL! The people looking to buy a show dog from me would HARDLY be the same people that might be interested in buying a mutt. So wheres the competition???Real breeders spay/neuter or have agreements so that pet people who know nothing about dogs will not use them to make mutts. That is why all the stock used to make these mutts is very inferior, they come from commercially bred stock.If you want to pay more for your mutt than I charge for a show puppy, have at it. You can tack on whatever little cutesy name you want, its still a mutt.

• The reason many people are against mixed breeds is because breeding and getting "the best of both breeds" just isn't possible. You never know what dominant and/or recessive genes are in the parents of these MUTTS. (And, yes, whether you choose to believe it or not, they are mutts.) Why don't you stop and consider the fact that quite possibly the pups will have THE WORST OF BOTH BREEDS?

• To the guy who is constantly posting rude comments-- some people don't consider their puppies mutts or as having inferior genes. It does matter what we consider them because we are the ones that own them. What doesn't matter, however, is what you consider them. As for the "rules", last time I checked, it isn't against the law to own a dog that is not a purebred!