Is this too many dogs for us?

My husband and I currently have 2 small breeds, a chihuahua and a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix. Anyways my husband wants a big dog that he can take running with him each day and do more activities with then the small dogs like to do. I of course love my…

My husband and I currently have 2 small breeds, a chihuahua and a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix. Anyways my husband wants a big dog that he can take running with him each day and do more activities with then the small dogs like to do. I of course love my…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is this too many dogs for us?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is this too many dogs for us?

Is this too many dogs for us? General Dog Discussions
      My husband and I currently have 2 small breeds, a chihuahua and a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix. Anyways my husband wants a big dog that he can take running with him each day and do more activities with then the small dogs like to do. I of course love my small dogs and don't really want a large breed. We are a military family with no children (yet) and live in a large apartment and live on the first floor which has a fenced backyard. We feed Acana dog food, provide proper vet care and spend lots of time with our pups. I take them for walks daily and to the dog park. I'm also currently not working so Im always home with my dogs. Do you think 3 dogs would be to much for our place? Also do you think a big dog will be fine with the little guys? The breeds he is interested in is a golden retriever (which I grew up with one) lab (which he grew up with) or an Australian shepherd. Any advice would be wonderful

Is this too many dogs for us? General Dog Discussions
    • This is ultimately your decision as everyone has their own views of what number is classified as "too many"3 dogs are not a lot, at least in my thinking. A golden retriever will do fine with smaller dogs.Remember training and proper temperament is Key.Good luck and happy Monday....

• If they are raised with the dog from puppyhood he'll be ok.Anyways I wouldn't suggest a Australian shepherd they have really high energy and need someone to challenge them teaching them tricks And exercising them.Now atleast you each know the temperament of golden and lab since atleast one grew up with it.So I suggest come to a compromise on either lab or golden.

• How about a medium sized dog. A grey hound would do very well. They can handle apartments and exercise. They are couch potatoes but they will run happily with your husband. Other wise it is up to you, I have never seen your apartment so I really can't say if it's too much. Goldens don't do super well in small areas and it's the same with Australians, unless you have raised them in a apartment then I stand corrected, but they are too active for small dwellings.

• An Australian shepherd wouldnt be good in an apartment. I would go with the lab or golden retriever. Both are usually good with smaller dogs and alright in an apartment if they get enough exercise. Goldens shed a bunch tho so keep that in mind. I don't think three dogs is too much at all. I have four dogs and if I had more room and time I would probably get another one!

• I think 3 dogs would be fine. The golden or the lab will do fine with the other dogs and will get its exercise running with your husband. I'm also in a military family, married to a military man and just because you like your small dogs and don't want a big one doesn't mean you shouldn't let your husband have one. It's a decision you have to make together, but you also be fair. Labs and Retrievers are wonderful dogs to begin with and though you're reluctant now, I'm sure once you get one and its properly trained then you'll be thrilled. I think they will be fine with your little dogs as well. I speak from experience because my roommate had a lab when I brought home 2 baby kittens and that dog was never rough with them and never harmed them. If a lab can handle kittens, a lab can handle 2 smaller dogs. You'll be fine.

• Considering I have 5 dogs 2 of which are large breeds(Bull Mastiff and German Shepherd) living with 3 Scottish Terriers perfectly I don't think you will have any problem.So long as you can afford another dog and have the time for one I see no reason why you would have a problem.I personally would go with either a Lab or a Golden Retriever only because an Australian Shepherd is such a high energy breed.

• Hi!Please bear with me, I know this is long but there's a reason!3 dogs is not too many dogs for you two; there are plenty of couples who live happy healthy lives with their multiple pooches :).The main things to think about when you're considering getting another dog are whether you can afford to invest the extra time, money, energy, attention, and space in giving that dog a wonderful, loving home. From what you're saying, it sounds as though you are covered on these points. Big apartment, fenced in back yard, lots of time and attention - it sounds like, as far as responsibility, you're good.As to the big one getting along with your littles, I won't lie - yes, that Can be a problem - but it isn't one that will sneak up on you, and there are a lot of things you can do to ensure the dog you get will mesh well with your small breed ones.I don't know what age you're thinking of getting, but, in my opinion, the most foolproof way to ensure that a large breed will be good around a small breed is to get that large breed when it isn't so - well, large.In other words, yes- a puppy. Here's why: - A puppy will not already have bad habits. Clean slates have advantages.- If the puppy meets your dogs when he, himself, is smaller, this can really do a lot to nip potential future power struggles/ dominance issues in the bud early. Why? Because your dogs will set boundaries the pup and, even though the pup gets bigger, the hierarchy will not change. This happened with our dog; we got him when he was 15 pounds (he was a shepherd mix, so, he got to be pretty darn big almost 100) and we had a girl Corgi. They had a tiny, very quick power struggle and she laid down the line. She established that he was not to try any shenanigans from the get go. And guess what? Since that was all he knew, that was all there was to it; never any problems. *She'd always been the big dog, so she would be the big dog even when he towered over her. And he always knew just how to interact with her safely.*If you want a dog that's a few months older, remember to check it's history as much as you can. More than that - before he becomes a permanent part of your family, do that test run. Have them meet. Let them sniff each other out (preferably when they can- if the initial greet goes well- circle each other and do what dogs do without you standing Right on top of them). Watch for controlling behavior; if the dog is persistent in his attempts to dominate your babies, I'd advise you to keep looking. Also, I know this goes without saying, but be really careful in regards to preventing food aggression and making absolutely sure that, if you're going to adopt any dog (puppies can be taught out of this in no time), that dog passes every single test proving he doesn't have it. Because that can be incredibly dangerous especially, when there's a pretty substantial size difference.I don't mean to scare you - honestly! I'm sure you know all of this already, and it's not the minefield I may be making it sound like.One last thing! Even the most well behaved dogs will be naughty if they have too much pent up energy! If your husband says he wants a big dog to run with, the he had better run with it.ESPECIALLY AN AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD. Both Golden retrievers and Australian shepherds are great dogs, but both of them can develop some pretty bad behavioral problems if they don't get enough exercise (especially the Australian shepherds- they're a working breed, and so they really are much more active).Here - I've attached two links - one to an overview on Australian shepherds, one to an overview on Goldens. I know you've probably seen breed information before, but this site has really good information, and it's worth looking at. I really hope you do! They really do cover a LOT!Best of luck to you, and I hope at least some of this helped! (Again, you probably knew a lot already)Cheers!!