I have a 4 month old puppy-what shots does she ACTUALLY need-I am scared a vet is taking advantage of me?

Thank you for the question about the flea medicine-frontline plus is what I give my other dog. He is trying to charge me over $200 in shots and I want to make sure she needs them all!

I have a 4 month old puppy-what shots does she ACTUALLY need-I am scared a vet is taking advantage of me?

Thank you for the question about the flea medicine-frontline plus is what I give my other dog. He is trying to charge me over $200 in shots and I want to make sure she needs them all!...
    General Dog Discussions : I have a 4 month old puppy-what shots does she ACTUALLY need-I am scared a vet is taking advantage of me?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a 4 month old puppy-what shots does she ACTUALLY need-I am scared a vet is taking advantage of me?

I have a 4 month old puppy-what shots does she ACTUALLY need-I am scared a vet is taking advantage of me? General Dog Discussions
      Thank you for the question about the flea medicine-frontline plus is what I give my other dog. He is trying to charge me over $200 in shots and I want to make sure she needs them all!

I have a 4 month old puppy-what shots does she ACTUALLY need-I am scared a vet is taking advantage of me? General Dog Discussions
    • Whatever your vet says is the right thing to do. A vet would not give a shot to a dog if it didn't need it. And yes, $200+ is the regular price for shots. You should have researched prices BEFORE you got the dog. They are expensive to keep

• Vets that try to give unneeded vaccinations or treatments are extremely rare. Anybody who goes through vet school does it because they have a deep desire to help animals, they don't do it for the money, because the truth is, there's not much money in veterinary practice. For all the shit they go through in vet school, they could easily make it through medical school and make a ton of money as a people doctor.95% of the cost is what those shots, vaccines, and other medicine cost the vet. They make very little off of their 'labor'.

• Puppies get 3-4 sets of shots, given 2-3 weeks apart.. these shots are ussually either a 5-in-one or a 7-in-one that also contains parvo and distemper. This shot is then given yearlyPuppies also get a rabies shot, ussually between 4-6 months of age, depending on when your vet reccomends it, and what the laws are in your particular area. The puppy is given a rabies booster a year later, and then typically rabies is given every 3 years after that.. in some areas a yearly rabies booster is required.Your vet may also reccommend vaccines for lyme disease as well as bordatella (kennel cough).. if lyme disease is an issue in your area, I would get this. If your dog may frequently be with other dogs.. such as obedience classes, dog shows, kennelling, day care, etc.. I would reccommend the bordatella vaccine.

• Most of the cost for the shots are probably the exam fee. Shop around at different vets. You will need to get the rabies shot, depending on where you live it could be against the law NOT to get the rabies. A licensed vet has to give the rabies The puppy should get the distemper/parvo shot. This does not have to be done at the vet, you could get it at a feed store or grange. If you take the dog to the dog park, or you come in contact with a lot of other dogs, you should get the bordetella (kennel cough) shot. I believe you can get this and do it at home as well. Those are the 3 that you should get. Puppies should get all their shots, if it was an older dog, I would say you probably didn't need all of them but a puppy immune system is not very good, so you need to protect it as much as you can.

• Here we have discounted companies who go around to Petsmarts or outside shopping centers and have a licensed DVM (vet) administer the shots for very cheap.Zoey's last puppy shot was $26. She got two of those, and Rabies for $15. So perhaps going a different route for shots may be a better choice, put that $200 up for any medical emergencies you may have.

• Yes a puppy needs 3 sets of shots, 2 weeks apart plus rabies. If $200 is the total, that's not a bad deal at all. If it is 200 per appointment, you should look for a more reasonably priced vet...whatever you do, don't skip the shots though.

• If you go to your nearest co-op store they will have the shot for you. The only ones you need to get done at a vet are the distemper and rabies. I bought my parvo and bordatella shots and did them myself!

• parvo, rabies and some give bordetella(kennel cough). Also should take a fecal and do a full exam. The parvo is a set of three but your puppy might have already had one or two and just need the last one. The bordetella is if you go around other dogs like a dog park or when around other dogs often. Parvo is very importnant shots to make sure you have. Without them the puppy can become very ill. I just went to the vet i will show my invoice. Bordetella 19.80 Fecal 19.85 Exam 32.70 Rabies 17.20. This is my vets personal prices and some things based on the dog and its needs. Just wanted to show you they can be high. Also the parvo may be called dhlpp. That one can vary. It is done in a series. You need them all to be fully protected. Hope this helps. Also i am including what the dhlpp includes found on a website. •DHLPP (distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parainfluenza and parvo virus) Good Luck

• There are only 4 dog vaccinations that are ever needed through any stage of life. 1. Rabies:Your puppy is required by law to have a current rabies shot.2. DHLPP: You do not want to skip out on the booster shots (DHLPP: distemper, hepatitis, lepto, parvo, parainfluenza), as they can put your dog at a real risk for fatal illnesses. However, as the dog ages, request getting this shot every 3 years if the vet does not already do this.3. Bordatella: The kennel cough vaccine is strongly recommended as a one time dose before your puppy goes to get fixed. He will have to wait and recover in cages around other dogs, and the canine cold is extremely contagious. After that one time dose, it's a personal choice but is oftentimes required by boarding and grooming facilities.4. Lyme: Protection against lyme disease is more or less important depending on your area. In my vet in Maryland, it's strong recommended as the virus is abundant.Good luck with your new puppy!