what are the injections that a labrador retreiver would need, i am going to buy one, read on please?

what injections are needed and roughly how much would they cost, this dog is 13 weeks old!

what are the injections that a labrador retreiver would need, i am going to buy one, read on please?

what injections are needed and roughly how much would they cost, this dog is 13 weeks old!...
    General Dog Discussions : what are the injections that a labrador retreiver would need, i am going to buy one, read on please?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what are the injections that a labrador retreiver would need, i am going to buy one, read on please?

what are the injections that a labrador retreiver would need, i am going to buy one, read on please? General Dog Discussions
      what injections are needed and roughly how much would they cost, this dog is 13 weeks old!

what are the injections that a labrador retreiver would need, i am going to buy one, read on please? General Dog Discussions
    • Puppy shots start early so it may have had it's puppy shots. You can buy the shots and inject them yourself. The only one that a Vet has to give is the rabies shots you can do all the others without the Vet expenses.Ask when you get the pup what shots it has had.

• Puppy shots are done in 3 rounds, between the ages of 6-8 weeks and 6 months (I think). Your puppy will have probably had round 1, but you'll want to find out the date to be sure of when to get the 2nd round. Vet prices vary, but I think I paid around $25 per round of shots. Be careful if you chose to give the injections yourself - it is important to have an exact weight on your dog to give the proper amount.

• Vaccinations start by the breeder at 8-9 weeks of age. They are distemper/parvo/canine hepatitis/adenovirus-2 a repeat of these same vaccinations needs to be done at 12 - 14 weeks of age and then again for the third and final time at 16-18 weeks of age. At 20 weeks or older a rabies vaccination is given. A year from the date of the last vaccination a booster is given and then no more are given for 3 years (unless rabies is required by law in your area/state to be given more often)Lepto, lymes, kennel cough and parainfluenza are vaccinations that may or may not be needed for your puppy depending on the risk of exposure in your area.Coronavirus is NOT recommended for ANY dog and should NOT be given.The above is current protocol by the AVMA/AAHA and all 27 vet schools. Also it is recommendations based on studies done by one of the major drug companies, Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ron Schultz. Try to get a November 2006 issue of the Whole Dog Journal..it has a great article on vaccinations.It is not recommended to give vaccinations yourself especially to a puppy. A puppy should have a complete exam BEFORE being vaccinated..vaccinating a puppy (or any dog) with a health issue can be very harmful and not all issues are apparent ot the owner. Also if a puppy/dog has an adverse reaction to a vaccine immediate attention by a vet may be required.In addition vaccines bought for a nonlicensed vet and administered by a non licensed vet are not guaranteed if a problem should arise, there is no way to know how a vaccine has been handled, stored, shipped, mixed or administered or if it is outdated. Also most daycares, obedience classes, kennels and vet office will not honor vaccinations give by a nonlicensed vet.Don't try to cut corners by self vaccinating it could end up costing you a whole lot more in the long run.

• Banfield (vet service at Petsmart) has a yearly fee which is around $300. It covers vet visits, shots, and neutering/spaying and you'll get a discount on meds. Neutering/spaying alone can cost several hundred $$$. The included office visits alone have saved us a small fortune. The vet down the street charged us $70 for a check-up when we first brought our dog home.We have found the vets there to be extremely nice. Check out the link below for more info. Otherwise, call vets in your area for quotes.

• dogs need to start vaccinations at about 6 weeks old and be vaccinated every 3 weeks until 16 weeks old. They will need to be started on a heartworm preventative and be on that year around for life. As a pup the dog may also need to be dewormed. You are probably looking at average cost per year $150-$200 give or take. That doesn't take into account spaying/neutering or any major medical conditions.

• Ask your vet or the vet of the person that you got the puppy from. It all depends on what vaccinations have been given. I think I paid $50 or somewhere around there when my puppy needed another set of shots.