How can I get rid of hotspots on my dog?? PLEASE ANSWER!?

I have a shetland sheepdog who will be turning five years old soon. All his life he has been an extremely healthy dog, besides when he was a puppy and he unfortunately got lyme disease. Around that same time, I had brought him to a friends house for a…

I have a shetland sheepdog who will be turning five years old soon. All his life he has been an extremely healthy dog, besides when he was a puppy and he unfortunately got lyme disease. Around that same time, I had brought him to a friends house for a…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I get rid of hotspots on my dog?? PLEASE ANSWER!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I get rid of hotspots on my dog?? PLEASE ANSWER!?

How can I get rid of hotspots on my dog?? PLEASE ANSWER!? General Dog Discussions
      I have a shetland sheepdog who will be turning five years old soon. All his life he has been an extremely healthy dog, besides when he was a puppy and he unfortunately got lyme disease. Around that same time, I had brought him to a friends house for a play date, and little did I know her dog was infested with disgusting fleas. And my poor dog became a victim. I have put frontline on him which always helps, and I have no caught site of a single flea for over a year, but for some reason my dog chews his skin, until he rips out his fur, leaving bald patches on his sides, and rear, just above this tail. Last winter it was just by his tail, then in the spring he stopped completely. We thought that this stuff my mother had bought, (some sort of supplement) had done the trick because his fur grew back, and he was looking absolutely gorgeous, but now, its summer, and his skin condition is even worse. He has itched his sides raw and I have tried everything. I am only a kid and I cant afford to keep bringing him to the vet, and I just want to know if there is anything else I can do for him? I bought coconut oil, which also has helped heal the raw areas, but he just goes back and itches them red again the next day. I thought of a cone, but the vet told me that since he is already an anxious dog to begin with all that would do is freak him out. PLEASE PLEASE HELP. this animal is my pride and joy, and I want him to be happy and healthy. Yes, I have brought him for several vet visits. and it gets very expensive. Please help!

How can I get rid of hotspots on my dog?? PLEASE ANSWER!? General Dog Discussions
    • My dog has the same problem. Make sure you bathe him regularly and more than that when the hotspots are forming. But be careful not to sting his skin. You can rub coconut oil on them it's good for there skin and I put coconut oil on my dog daily to help it heal. You can also buy hot spot treatments and gels from the pet store. Make sure that you buy no sting formula though. Good luck with your dog :)

• What are you feeding up grade the food to a grain free food, it might be an allergy How much exercise do you provide each day, any herding training, Without physical and mental exercise a shetland can become distressed. It needs lots of exercise and a job ( dog sport) to be healthy and happy.

• Be sure you are giving this dog plenty of exercise. As a herding breed, they need more mental and physical stimulation than some other breeds. Get him out to run and play games and do obedience with him and give him puzzle toys. Also be sure you are feeding a high quality grain free food like Taste Of The Wild, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Orijen, and Wellness. Wipe him down with a damp cloth after being outdoors but do not bathe him more than once every 6 weeks and use a soothing oatmeal shampoo+ conditioner when you do. Get a spray bottle and combine half water and half apple cider vinegar and spray it on the spots, and it is ok if he licks it but discourage licking.

• The most common reasons for skin issues (i.e. itching, skin irritation, hair loss, etc.) include:- Allergic reactions to flea bites, food/treats, grooming or house-cleaning products, etc.- Mites- Fungal/Bacterial infections (ringworm, yeast, staph etc.)- Steroid use (also called prednisone, cortisone or the so-called 'allergy shot')Scratching opens the door to skin infections.ALLERGIES For sensitive dogs just one flea can cause havoc. Even if not visible, you can always see the debris fleas leave behind that looks like finely ground coffee. If placed in water, they will turn red. You can get rid of the fleas with natural methods to avoid exposure to the toxic chemicals of Frontline, Advantage and other popular flea medications which will cause harm sooner or later. For recommendations see http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-Naturally Also, you can dust your yard where your dog roams with inexpensive diatomaceous earth. For more info see http://www.care2.com/greenliving/all-around-non-toxic-flea-control.htmland http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_fleas.htmlThe dog's digestive system is not designed to handle grains well. Discontinue any food/treat with corn, wheat, etc. Get ones with no grains and with meat as a primary ingredient – chicken, lamb, salmon, etc. If possible, raw meat diet is best http://www.healthypetjournal.com/default.aspx?tabid=19116Discontinue use of grooming or house cleaning products that can be allergens. For a while, use white vinegar as the cleaning agent for your floors, counters, etc. Vinegar has strong cleaning and antiseptic properties and the smell disappears quickly after use. See http://www.vinegarworkswonders.com/faqs.aspMITESThree types of mites attack dogs most often: demodectic (not contagious and may itch or not), sarcoptic (very contagious and extremely itchy) and cheyletiella (contagious and mildly itchy). This condition is known as mange. The typical symptoms of mange as the condition progresses include hair loss and scaly or crusty skin. Avoid the medications most often prescribed by vets that contain toxic chemicals which will harm your dog sooner or later. These are Ivermectin (also known as Ivomec) and Amitraz (also known as Mitaban). Instead, I recommend the use of natural products. Search the Internet to find them. I prefer the spray type treatment which is effective, easy to use, and inexpensive that will kill the mites but is harmless to pets and humans. You can get it at http://www.florapetnaturals.com/online-store.htmlSTEROID USEAs Dr. Karen Becker, DVM states - "Steroids (also called prednisone, cortisone or the nondescript “allergy shot”) are the least optimal treatment choice, as they work by suppressing your pet’s immune system. Not only can steroids have a negative effect on your pet’s liver, adrenal glands and kidneys, but suppressing your pet’s immune system with steroids also allows for opportunistic yeast and bacteria to grow on your pet’s skin..." Please read the information below: 'Steroids The Great Pretender - Even Low Steroid Doses Can Be Trouble'.http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/steroids.htmMany vets assume that pet owners just want to see their pets get better at all cost and prescribe steroids knowing the risks. Steroids are very dangerous and do not cure anything, they just mask the symptoms temporarily but the underlying cause remains and result in undesirable health complications, including skin problems.SKIN INFECTION REMEDYFor many skin issues I recommend a powder called 'Flowers of Sulfur' (also known as 'brimstone' or 'sublime sulfur'). This substance has been used for thousands of years to cure all kinds of skin ailments including fungal and bacterial infections and if there is itching, it will stop within a few days. Google it to learn more about its healing properties.Even vets have forgotten about this wonderful and inexpensive remedy but fortunately you can still purchase it at your local pharmacy for very little money. You can also buy it online at http://www.pennherb.com/search?mv_session_id=eDEGJydw&mp=s&s=Sulfur%2C+USP+GradeFlowers of sulfur is safe to apply to your pet's skin but take care not to inhale sulfur powder.You can dust this powder and rub on your dog's skin OR mix it with an oil to rub on the skin. The dusting can easily be accomplished if you use a powdered sugar duster or an empty talcum powder bottle. Separate the hair as you go around dusting to expose the skin until you have covered it.Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of flower of sulfur with 1 cup of Jojoba oil and put it in a bottle. Always shake to mix well before applying to the skin as it tends to separate. This method works well for smaller skin areas. You do not need to wear gloves as it is not toxic to humans either.