Should i encourage my puppy to socialize with other people and dogs?

its only 5 months old and I KNOW ITS TOO YOUNG please only helpful comments?....OOOOPSSS I MEANT 5 WEEKS SORRRYOOOOPSSS I MEANT 5 WEEKS SORRRY

its only 5 months old and I KNOW ITS TOO YOUNG please only helpful comments?....OOOOPSSS I MEANT 5 WEEKS SORRRYOOOOPSSS I MEANT 5 WEEKS SORRRY...
    General Dog Discussions : Should i encourage my puppy to socialize with other people and dogs?...

• Should i encourage my puppy to socialize with other people and dogs?

Should i encourage my puppy to socialize with other people and dogs? General Dog Discussions
      its only 5 months old and I KNOW ITS TOO YOUNG please only helpful comments?....OOOOPSSS I MEANT 5 WEEKS SORRRYOOOOPSSS I MEANT 5 WEEKS SORRRY

Should i encourage my puppy to socialize with other people and dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • 5 months is LATE to start socialization!! The optimum time is BEFORE 5 months!! As soon as their vaccinated and can go outside (around 12 wks) they should be out socializing.

• As long it has finished all three shots, the YES!!! Socialization should start as young as possible. This will prevent the puppy from being aggressive towards other people & animals when it grows up. And it will also make the puppy get used to the outside world with lots of stuff going around & sounds as well. It's always good to have a well socialized & well trained puppy.

• Socialization is very important, and the earlier and more consistent the better. As long as all her vaccinations are done, get her out and about. Just go slowly so she doesn't get frightened, start with just a couple dogs at once at first then work your way up.I suggest looking into puppy classes in your area. It helps the person more than the dog LOL (we know we're the ones that need the training), and they get to meet a few new pups their own age to socialize with.Make sure you introduce to a variety of dogs and people. Big dogs, small dogs, loud dogs, mellow dogs. Big people, small people, men and women, people of different races, people with hats LOL. Socialization is something that takes time, so don't rush her.Good luck!

• 5 months is actually LATE! You should've been socializing at 2-3 months. I made the same mistake with my dog and he's still shy around people and dogs. He's 8 months now. Start taking your dog to dog parks! It's the best way. There's also free socialization classes at petco. Good luck!

• if u want ur puppy to be a social dog u should introduce it to people while its young.or else it might grow up to be an over protective dog. i have an 8 week old cane corso mastiff ,so im introducing him to people now so he wont be over protective of my friends when they come over because my type of dog is naturally protective

• it's never too early!! the earlier the better and do it often!! make sure it has all the shots required. if you do not socialize your dog you are only hurting it by having it live a life of seclusion and sadness... dogs are social creatures and deserve to have friends too!

• Yah - it's definitely time to get your pup out and playing with other dogs! We started taking our pup to the dog park at 12 weeks after his shots. We also did a training class with other dogs and the trainer was excellent in teaching us as well as the other owners doggy etiquette. I highly recommend doing a training class - PetSmart offers training and it's super affordable. You'll be so surprised by the results. Our dog LOVES his playtime with our other neighbors dogs and he is so much more pleasant to be around after we let him burn off some energy at the dog park!

• Who the heck told you 5 months was too young?!??!!At 8 months the door to the puppies ability to socialize with humans and other animals slams shut. This is why feral dogs don't adjust to living with humans well and dogs kept at home with the family don't do well at the dog park.Development of social skills can be a huge benefit for the dog. If the dog is not dog friendly it could be embarrassing, annoying and stressful for you. The early weeks and months shape the rest of the pups life. Everything he or she needs to learn should be introduced early, safely, and regularly.

• WARNING! This puppy is too young to vaccinate! If you vaccinate a puppy to young or over vaccinate a puppy it could develop vaccinosis and DIE. Vaccinosis is the term used for "reactions our dogs have to being vaccinated." Most veterinarians refuse to talk about it because they are the ones who give the shots that cause Vaccinosis. The most common problem is anaphylactic shock, a devastating and often fatal allergic reaction. Some vaccines can actually cause the disease or other diseases."Only give these shots, nothing else no matter what the vet says. If he want's to give more, find another vet, one that truly cares about your dogs health. Age of Pups / Vaccine TypeMLV=modified-live virus9 weeks MLV Distemper/Parvovirus only (e.g. Intervet Progard Puppy)12 weeks MLV Distemper/Parvovirus only (e.g. Intervet Progard Puppy)24 weeks or older , if allowable by law Killed Rabies VaccineAfter 1 year, annually measure serum antibody titers against specific canine infectious agents such as distemper and parvovirus. This is especially recommended for animals previously experiencing adverse vaccine reactions or breeds at higher risk for such reactions (e.g., Weimaraner, Akita, American Eskimo, Great Dane).Vaccines for rabies and three other major canine diseases — distemper, canine adenovirus-2 and canine parvovirus — should be given no more often than once every three yearsTest show that parvovirus vaccine also lasts seven years.I would use only killed 3 year rabies vaccine for adult dogs. In some states, they may be able to give titer test result in lieu of booster.DO NOT GET the bordetella, corona virus, leptospirosis or lyme vaccines unless these diseases are an endemic in the local area. If Lyme disease doesn't exist in your area, don't have your dog vaccinated for it. If your dog is not going to be kenneled or boarded, don't have it immunized for kennel cough.Do not vaccinate during times of stress such as: surgery, travel, illness or infection.As for socializing this puppy, he is still too young. You need to wait till he is at least 9 weeks. When you do start to socialize your puppy NEVER do it during walks, otherwise he will develop bad walking manners. This is where new dog owner's make the biggest mistake. During walks they allow strangers or dogs to come up, get the puppy excited, pet or play with the dog. When you do this you are teaching the dog bad pack manners. You have just given the approval to get excited when he sees another person or dog. Now the puppy thinks he can play with every person or dog he sees on a walk When someone wants to pet your dog on a walk, say he is in training. You should only stop at crosswalks or for the bathroom. Make sure your dog sits and stays at every crosswalk, mark this behavior by giving him a treat when he sits and stays. Tell him to walk when you are ready to walk, mark this behavior too. This will start to develop great leash behavior as well as some basic obedience commands.Socializing should be done, just not on walks. Make sure all people, children and dogs are healthy. Only socialize this puppy with dogs and dog owner's you trust 100%, I can't stress this enough. You do not want this puppy to get bit. If he gets bit at a young age there is a greater chance he will become dog aggressive. Also, he will lose respect for you because you failed him as a pack leader. You were unable to protect him from another dog, this makes you a weak pack leader. Now he feels he needs to protect himself. This is not how you want your relationship to start with your Jindo puppy. Have people pet your puppy, supervise children when they meet and play with your puppy. My experience is that most children play with dogs too rough. If they step on a tail and cause the puppy to yelp, he will learn not to trust kids. Worst he may even bite to protect himself. PLEASE BE CAREFUL! Never allow anyone to give your dog treats.