How much would it cost me to buy a purebred border collie?

I want to buy a border collie that I can use for herding, I live on a ranch and could really use a good, well trained dog for herding.

I want to buy a border collie that I can use for herding, I live on a ranch and could really use a good, well trained dog for herding....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How much would it cost me to buy a purebred border collie?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How much would it cost me to buy a purebred border collie?

How much would it cost me to buy a purebred border collie? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want to buy a border collie that I can use for herding, I live on a ranch and could really use a good, well trained dog for herding.

How much would it cost me to buy a purebred border collie? Dog Breed Discussions
    • A Border Collie pup from herding stock can run you anywhere from $250 (farm dogs, no formal testing) up past $1000 (genetic clearances, champion titles in herding etc.)

• That depends on where you live, we got one for $150 she was a puppy and knew how to herd...she herded anything that was in our yard...from day one. They just do.

• A Good dog, already trained? Probably at least $800 pups are usually around $500, so once someone takes the time to train the dog to herd they will want substantially more.

• As a pup, a dog with health-tested parents who have shown their herding ability in competitions would be $1000-2000. A pup whose parents are both farm dogs but without titles and health testing may be as little as $150, but you're taking a gamble.If you are NOT confident in your competence to train a pup, fully trained working stock dogs tend to start at $2000 and go up from there.

• A Border Collie already trained to herd can run in the thousands of dollars. No reason why you can't get some books and a good puppy and train it yourself. Border Collies from working lines instinctively know how to herd, you only need to teach it to follow your commands and you need to learn how to give those commands in order for your dog to do what you want done.Many dog shows are running herding trials now, so you should be able to find a reliable herding trainer to show you how to do it. You simply need to get a good quality puppy.

• You would have to ask a Border Collie breeder these questions. A well bred working dog can range from $500-10000 ( I've seen them that expensive) depending on the breeder and the lines. Google the Border Collie club of your area and find a reputable breeder.