How often do dogs need their shots?

How often do dogs need their shots?...
    General Dog Discussions : How often do dogs need their shots?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How often do dogs need their shots?

How often do dogs need their shots? General Dog Discussions

How often do dogs need their shots? General Dog Discussions
    • Puppies should get at least 3 sets of puppy shots between the ages of 6 weeks of age, and 16 weeks of age. Usually spread out over 2-4 weeks apart. Then, dogs should get a booster of that same shot every year. When it comes to Rabies vaccines the puppy can get its first shot ( 1 year shot) antyime after it is 12 weeks old, and a year later with proof of previous rabies vaccine, they get a rabies vaccine good for 3 years, and again 3 years later, etc.I give my dogs all their combo shots myself, and I take them to rabies clinics for their rabies because in most states, by law, a vet must be the one to give the rabies vaccine.

• As another person wrote. puppy's need a series of three (3) "combination" vaccinations. Then a yearly booster. Most vets tell you they need a booster every year but recent evidence suggests this is not so in most dogs. Myself. I give the all puppy shots. The rabies at 4 months old. And the yearly booster. I re-vaccinate for ALL, CORE vaccinations every three years now plus the rabies shot. I know others do it differently. IF, you live in a HIGH Parvo area I would suggest three year (CORE) boosters Parvo/distemper for adult dogs.

• It depends... all dogs should receive the distemper combination vaccination series as a puppy as well as rabies, with a booster at least the first year. After that, it depends on your dog's risk levels (do you live in an area where lymes is a problem? do your board or show your dog so they have a higher risk of kennel cough? what about heartworm?) and the specific vaccinations given, for example, some rabies vaccinations are good for three years, others only for one.If you want to minimize the number of shots that your dog gets, you can always opt to have a blood-titer done instead. The vet takes a blood sample and checks for sufficient levels of antibodies for the diseases in question. This is a good idea for dogs that have had vaccine reactions in the past.

• It depends on the age of the dog. Puppies need a series of vaccinations at set ages to build up a good immunity and they are typically the most at-risk for diseases. Adult dogs may be vaccinated as often as yearly depending on location, risk factors, laws, etc or as often as 3 years again depending on risk factors, location, laws, diseases vaccinated against, etc. For example, the laws in some areas require rabies vaccination yearly while other areas only require vaccination against rabies every 3 years. You need to contact your veterinarian and get professional advice and care for you pet. Independent of how often the vet recommends vaccinations for your dog, all dogs should have a physical exam early to help catch health conditions early for better treatment outcomes. Owners may often not see symptoms of disease that can turn up on physical exam by a professional, so you can't just assume that because a dog "looks healthy" that there isn't something going on inside such as the development of a heart murmer or enlargement or changes in the liver, etc.