I have recently got a 6 weeks old German Shepherd puppy, and want to no when its ready to start taking walks?

When do i start training it on the leash

I have recently got a 6 weeks old German Shepherd puppy, and want to no when its ready to start taking walks?

When do i start training it on the leash...
    General Dog Discussions : I have recently got a 6 weeks old German Shepherd puppy, and want to no when its ready to start taking walks?...

• I have recently got a 6 weeks old German Shepherd puppy, and want to no when its ready to start taking walks?

I have recently got a 6 weeks old German Shepherd puppy, and want to no when its ready to start taking walks? General Dog Discussions
      When do i start training it on the leash

I have recently got a 6 weeks old German Shepherd puppy, and want to no when its ready to start taking walks? General Dog Discussions
    • It will depend on the dog. Most dogs have short attention spans at that age and think you are just playing with them. They don't usually want to go far.Get the dog used to a leash and collar and start the walks short at first. They are more interested in play at that age.

• First I would train it with a peeing or pooping pad that you can find online or at petsmart. After it is train to go to do its buissness, take it out for walks. Just make sure you have a bag with you and it has had shots for diseases.

• A couple years ago i got a two month old puppy. I didn't wait too long to take her for her first walk though. You should try walking her a very short length first (because she will get a little tired) and then every time you take her for another walk after that, gradually make it longer until you have a route you go with her every day.

• Your pup must have had both sets of shots before it can be placed on the floor outside.make sure your pup is wearing a collar to get used to it, then after a good play session attach a light weight leash and try walking around the house.the most important thing to remember is to not let the pup get away with something now that you don't want them to do later, it is very hard to unteach bad habits.

• make sure hes up to date on shots...for us personally we waited until our german shepherd was 3 months old and we took him outside. Start at home in your back yard make sure hes okay on the leash so that he can be better on the street

• Yes... i just asked my vet. about my newly bought chihuahua puppy today... wait until he has ALL of his shots.. aprox. 12-16 weeks of age.. use training pads until at least 12 weeks and if at twelve weeks the dog still doesnt have all the vaccinations then at least go at daytime so that he will not get bitten by mosquitoes(theyy can carry heartworm) and go in a spot you think is VERY clean (where other dogs/rodents have not peeed/pooped) and when your vet says its okay, put him/her on a prevention system for ticks/fleas and a monthly pill for multiple worms.. good luck!! but for the time being he/she is still WAYY too small...

• Now. but be very careful. The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. The dangers of disease continue after 12 weeks, but the best time for socialization is ending. http://www.apdt.com/veterinary/assets/pdf/Messer_ND06.pdfhttp://www.apdt.com/veterinary/assets/pdf/Silvani_JF05.pdfhttp://www.akc.org/enewsletter/akc_breeder/2008/winter/puppy.cfm

• What a LOT of bad advice your questions are attracting! That is ALWAYS a problem in the Dog section of Y!A - irresponsible kids pretending to be experienced adults.You do NOT walk your pet off the dog-proof parts of your property until 2 weeks after the first shots. They are not given until 8 weeks old, so 10+ weeks is the earliest your pup MIGHT have an active immune system. But the attenuated viruses in that first shot will probably be destroyed by the passive immunity Pup received in her dam's "first milk", so you DON'T rely on that shot having worked.But you MUST include your wider area in your pup's experiences before she is 13 weeks old, so from 10+ weeks onwards you take her to places where dogs do NOT run free, do NOT piddle-poo-vomit.And you really should NOT have got a puppy yet - you should have FIRST found out all the important things about choosing a source, choosing the right pup, caring for it, staying home 24/7 for the first week, etc etc etc. Then brought it home when it was 7-to-9 weeks old.And you REALLY should not have got one from where you did! You should have got it from someone who supplied all the information you need - including a Diet Sheet and advice about keeping it in 'home quarantine' and that you can't rely on the early vaccinations having worked before 2 weeks after the boosters given at 16 weeks; and that supplier SHOULD be available to answer your follow-up questions over the phone or at least by e-mail.It's sad that many vets (and their insurance companies!) do NOT keep up with research.http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source/links/Vaccination_001199872827/ states the protocol that Yank vet.colleges have been teaching since some time last millennium!• In brief: at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. Being conservative, it recommends another booster some time after 6 months, but my GSDs have proved for over 40 years that nothing is ever needed after 16 weeks.I'm lucky in living where there is no babesia, no heartworm, no Lyme Disease, no rabies (yeah, we DO think of it as being Paradise). But you will need to discuss all of those with your vet. You are probably where the law requires rabies vaccinations and re-vaccinations. If so:#1: Donate to the team linked to above, to help their research aimed at convincing the most conservative governments that rabies shots last for life, or at least for 8 years.#2: Defer the first rabies shot as long as the law allows, then ask for the one that gives you a certificate valid for 3 years.I DO hope you are home 24/7 this week.This first week is devoted to YOU observing her the whole time she is awake and learning:•1: Her timing & signals for such as "Wanna go toilet" and "Wanna BITE sumfing!" so that you can PREDICT them and take INSTANT appropriate action.•2: How to be so attractive to her that she WANTS to come when you call her.•• Forget formal training - but NOW book yourself in to a proper training club's class that will start when she is 18-22 weeks old, so that (before you & she develop too many bad habits) YOU get coached on how to become an effective trainer while she is still small enough to be easy to manage.•• Forget leash-work until you are IN that class. Yes, she IS to be on-leash when you start giving her off-property experiences, but not with the attitude that it is for WORK: She is to be allowed to zig & zag following scents, so that HER walks are exciting and interesting for her. But you DO use the leash to haul her away from timid people and from dangerous or disgusting things.Meantime: NO shots, and NO contact with pooches - keep her in 'home quarantine' in your house and in your well-fenced yard. Visiting humans and cats can also carry the virus onto your property.• And JOIN some e-groups, to get the advice that your pup's ignorant supplier DIDN'T give you.â—™ Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as rescue groups, feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, teething, neutering, size, diseases, genetics.â—™ To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967