How do I train my border collie?

I have a Border Collie, she's about a year old. We live in town and it's really hard to give her the things she needs. Lately she has been acting out and chewing everything she can get a hold of. I have tried to look for things online to train her,…

I have a Border Collie, she's about a year old. We live in town and it's really hard to give her the things she needs. Lately she has been acting out and chewing everything she can get a hold of. I have tried to look for things online to train her,…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I train my border collie?...

• How do I train my border collie?

How do I train my border collie? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a Border Collie, she's about a year old. We live in town and it's really hard to give her the things she needs. Lately she has been acting out and chewing everything she can get a hold of. I have tried to look for things online to train her, they all say she needs a job to do and lots of exercise. Can anyone give me some ideas to help me help my dog?

How do I train my border collie? Dog Breed Discussions
    • you've already been told what to do. Border collies NEED exercise, they were bred to be running around all day herding sheep, if you don't provide her enough exercise she will be destructive because she is bored. if you cant take her her out much try using a treadmill.you might have to consider giving her to someone else who can give her enough exercise.

• Your dog is the perfect age to get started on sheep. Go to the USBCHA site and find a sheepdog trial in your area. You will meet sheepdog trainers/handlers and you can have them recommend a trainer in your area. Your dog will need to stay with this trainer for 3-4 months for in-house training, which will be around $500.00 a month. After that, you will need to take lessons 2-3 days week, which will run around $50.00 an hour.

• Border collies are a) exceptionally high energy dogs and b) exceptionally intelligent dogs. They need at least 2 hours of hard exercise a day plus loads of mental stimulation. If you don't meet her needs, she will continue to become even more destructive and find more unwanted behaviours to engage in. AFTER she is well-exercised, play hide and seek with her. Use toys, treats, or even people. Design puzzles for her to solve; obstacle courses or mazes with rewards at the end. Look for other border collie owners online. Find out what they do to entertain their dogs and keep them busy. You can train a border collie to do most anything, including helping with the houseowrk. The trick to owning a border collie is to avoid boredom.

• I have raised border collies for more than thirty years. A border collie is a working dog as you stated . Border collies do nip it's in the bloodline.That is why she is chewing out of boredom. If I was you I would get her tired to release that negative energy. The best thing for a city dog is the tread mill it easy and give her a sense of herding by running. Hook her up to a collar and leash and run her out of energy. Walks are fun to.