how do you remove a tick from a puppy?

i have a lab pitt mix and i was going down the road and found one on her it is a deer tick i came home gave her a bath and some flea and tick treatment but it still has not came off

i have a lab pitt mix and i was going down the road and found one on her it is a deer tick i came home gave her a bath and some flea and tick treatment but it still has not came off...
    General Dog Discussions : how do you remove a tick from a puppy?...

• how do you remove a tick from a puppy?

how do you remove a tick from a puppy? General Dog Discussions
      i have a lab pitt mix and i was going down the road and found one on her it is a deer tick i came home gave her a bath and some flea and tick treatment but it still has not came off

how do you remove a tick from a puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • Be careful with deer ticks. These are the ones who carry lyme disease.To take off the tick, first put on some gloves. Then using either your fingers or some tweezers, simply hold onto the tick and pull it off.I would take the dog to the vet, since there is a chance of lyme disease and some other problems carried with ticks.Good luck!

• pull it off with your fingers or use tweezers.do a good thorough check...there can be more...are there any deer around...can be fatal...mydog had ended up w/lymes disease from a deer tick

• Put on a glove and pull it straight out. Flush it down the toilet. Hope she has all her vaccinations, if not get them done tomorrow and tell the vet that she was bitten by a deer tick. Now, depending on the age of the puppy ask for Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks and how soon you can put it on after the other flea treatment. Do not use over the counter flea meds that are put on the back of the neck as they can be very dangerous. Animal deaths have been reported from the use of these.

• Just use your fingernails or tweezers, get as close to the dog's skin as you can and grasp the tick. If you try pulling from the middle of the tick's body, it will just break off and leave the head embedded. Pull steadily straight up, don't twist or try to snap it up quickly. You should be able to get the entire tick. Then put the tick in something and pour rubbing alchol on it, enough to cover the tick & kill it. Then dab a little peroxide or rubbing alcohol on the bite, then an antibiotic ointment.The flea and tick treatment ( if its a spot on one like Frontline) won't make the tick fall off, and won't prevent ticks from getting on your dog. It doesn't work as a repellant. It will kill ticks that come in contact with the dog's skin, or if it happens to bite the dog. It will die beforre it has a chance to transmit disease to the dog.Edit: The vet will not test the tick for Lyme Disease. Even if they did, and the tick was a carrier, it does not indicate that the dog will be Lyme positive. The vet only tests the dog for Lyme Disease. Most vets use a 4DX snap test to look for Heartworm, Lyme Disease, Ehrlichiosis and Anaplasmosis. (The last 3 are all tick-borne diseases.)

• If you are not experienced in removing a tic, have someone that is experienced do it for you. If you pull it strait out, parts of the tic could remain in your dog and get infected. On a more serious note, Lyme disease is carried by 20% of tics, so that is a 1 in 5 chance that your dog could be exposed to lyme disease. In the next 48 hours, look for a target styled rash aroung the bite site. In the next 14 days look for flu like symtoms in your dog. PLEASE KEEP THE TIC AS IT CAN BE TESTED FOR LYMES DISEASE. To save the tic, please it in a small sealable plastic bag. Take it to the vet with you should your dog get a target rash, or flu like symtoms. IMPORTANT........ check your dog thoroghly for other tics. and get a simple flea collar that also protects for tics. Good luck Donna

• It's easy - any time a dog, human, etc. has a tick first you apply Johnson's Baby Oil right over/on and around the area the tick is on....Literally squirt it right onto the skin, tick, etc. Let it sit for 10-30 seconds or so - the tick cannot breathe through the oil, will begin to suffocate and, typically, it then begins to back out of the area in order to get air. Have your tweezers ready, get as close to the head of the tick as possible and pull off. Then burn the tick in a bowl with a match to be sure it is dead (once it is freed from the animal it gets air again, can breathe and therefore can live).Even if the tick does not begin to back out for air, it will begin to die and is still easier to remove as it suffocates...