What sort of a dog is best for small apartments?

well small dogs would really work best because they r apartment dogs. usaully dogs that have a very lazy habbit but can be well trained r the best

well small dogs would really work best because they r apartment dogs. usaully dogs that have a very lazy habbit but can be well trained r the best...
    General Dog Discussions : What sort of a dog is best for small apartments?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What sort of a dog is best for small apartments?

What sort of a dog is best for small apartments? General Dog Discussions
      well small dogs would really work best because they r apartment dogs. usaully dogs that have a very lazy habbit but can be well trained r the best

What sort of a dog is best for small apartments? General Dog Discussions
    • this really depends on hwo much exercise you are willing to give the dog there are certain breeds that will live where ever his owner lives as long as they get lots of exercise try looking breeds up at the kc they have a web site.if you want a large breed and are prepared to exercise it daily and train it properly gsds will fit into a small space and they make wonderful companions. i had one in a flat when i first got married

• I live in a small condo. I have two medium size dogs (27 and 34 lbs.) One is pictured to the left (American Eskimos). They are both rescues, and are happy to be with me. I have one room set aside for play when it is raining outside, it is barely furnished and just lets the dogs play without risk of injury. But rain does not keep me from walking at least 3 miles a day with my dogs. I couldn't play inside with a large dog - just not feasible. In the Condo complex we have some large dogs who do not get enough excercise. They are the more aggressive dogs. Dogs need more excercise than space. Rescue a dog. Let him/her pick you. Then they'd be happy in a tent.

• My small dog would be lousy in an apt. She's high-strung, a real yapper and has severe separation anxiety disorder (chews up place when I leave without her).All my cats are good though. I suggest a sweet independent kitty.

• Yorkies! Train it first to puppy pads before you train it to go outside and you won't have worries when it's sick, you're late getting home, etc. They are loyal, fierce and do not shed! I never thought I'd love a small dog but I'm sold. (Watch out for mixes, like Shorkies, they shed!)

• The size of the dog in relation to it's energy level has no bearing on whether it is a good city/apartment dog. It is the temperament of the dog that makes a difference and, more importantly, it is the attitude of it's human companion in how that human decides to take responsibility for caring for the animal.P.S. Good reasoning dictates that the size does make some difference!

• A quiet dog is best for an apartment setting. Since the walls are thin, you wouldn't want to listen to your neighbor's griping about your dog (aka - Captain BarksALot). lol

• I do not believe any dog is suitable for any apartment. A dog belongs where he or she can roam free, even if in only a yard. That's why animal shelters prefer adopters who have open space, like a yard.

• I think it's more about energy levels AND how much time you are willing to invest in satisfying the dog's exercise needs. Really, dogs spend a lot of time sleeping. If you are a lazy homebody, get a low-energy dog, no matter what size home/yard you have (sticking a dog out in the yard DOES NOT mean it gets exercise, most of them just sit there). If you want to keep a young, hyper labrador in an apartment you can, IF you are prepared to take him out for sufficient exercise and to train him to be calm indoors.