Do vets usually charge a base fee and the price for each vaccine every time a dog needs it's shots?

Do vets usually charge a base fee and the price for each vaccine every time a dog needs it's shots?

Do vets usually charge a base fee and the price for each vaccine every time a dog needs it's shots?...
    General Dog Discussions : Do vets usually charge a base fee and the price for each vaccine every time a dog needs it's shots?...

• Do vets usually charge a base fee and the price for each vaccine every time a dog needs it's shots?

Do vets usually charge a base fee and the price for each vaccine every time a dog needs it's shots? General Dog Discussions

Do vets usually charge a base fee and the price for each vaccine every time a dog needs it's shots? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes - you would be charged a consultation plus the vaccine but rather than charging you two different things they lump it in as one vaccination price which includes a ful health check.

• Vaccines are often combined with the annual check up, so there is usually an office visit fee first. You will get charged for each vaccine every time. Look into Tittering your dog instead of vaccinating annually. Over Vaccination is a huge issue and can lead to health complications and cancer at the injection site later in life. I had 2 of my dogs tittered when they were 4 and their antibody levels were so high that the vet said they would probably never need another vaccination in their life. When you think that they will hopefully live to be 14+ years, that's another 10 years of unneccessary vaccines. Just food for thought!

• It really depends on the vet and upon how often you are seeing that vet. If you haven't seen the vet in a year or so, yes, they will charge for an exam and the vaccs needed. If you have seen the vet regularly or tell him you are ONLY coming in for the vaccs, you should only be charged for the vaccs. If you are being charged for an exam, make sure you get one! The vet should be going over every inch of the dog, including teeth and stool sample check. Don't let them charge you for just walking through the door. I have to see my vet every 6 weeks or so with my dog (anal gland issue) and if they are just doing the glands, it's $12. I also occasionally go in for a nail trim, at $8.If I need an exam or start asking a lot of questions which provoke the vet to do an exam, yes, I will get an exam fee. The vet has a right to charge for the services performed, as any business does. So be clear what services you are requesting at the beginning of ANY visit. If you are clear, most vets will limit themselves to requested services and bill accordingly. But you have to be clear on what you want.

• Not all vets do. You can call around and ask them if they do, or ask them to waive the fee since you just want shots, not useless chitchat.My vet does not charge a consultation fee for vaccines, only the price for each vaccine, and does not charge for a puppy's first examination. Some vets will nickel and dime you to death.

• My vet only recommends vaccinations every THREE years. They get their kennel cough vaccines yearly. My dogs go to the vet's at least once a year for an exam and bloodwork. Of course they charge a fee for an office visit, how else do you think that they earn a living?EDIT: ABOVE AVERAGE, if you don't see a vet, how does your dog get tested for heartworm, etc?

• I don,t usually answer questions in this category as my speciality is in large animals horses i am a Professor of Surgery and Medicine .What i have to say is i have owned and treated many dogs in my 50 or so years as a VET. the answer KAREN gave is a very good one KUDOS TO HER VACCINES IN MY OPINION COMPROMISE A ANIMALS IMMUNE SYSTEM EACH TIME THEY ARE ADMINISTERED AND MOST VACCINES ONLY LAST 4 5 OR 6 MONTHS A LOT OF vET.S DO AGREE WITH ME but most don't free opinion is universal. I ONLY GIVE MY 4 DOGS ON MY FARM RABIES SHOT EVERY 2 OR THREE YEARS AND THEY ARE VERY HEALTHY. EVERY 2 YEARS A FULL BLOOD COUNT IS GOOD.

• not sure about there but in Indiana where mine go he charges $37 for 7 in 1 canine $8 rabies and he waives the office exam and if he is in the mood and nails need to be done he will do those for free. Also is there annual checkup too! otherwise if you do it separate you pay separate.Don't do it yourself please too easy to make a mistake! If you give them too much. And it is already in there blood stream soo not much time to get them to the vet. and if not enough it wont work. PLUS you need proof for certain apartments and a receipt of the medication wont do it. If they bite someone police will want a vaccination certificate not a receipt to a feed store! When who knows if they got it or not or if it was right!

• There is an office fee and then a charge for each vaccine. You can save a lot of money by learning the vaccination revisions. Not many vets follow it without the pet owner insiting and knowing about it. Dogs'& cats' immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live virus (MLV) vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces an immunity which is good for the life of the pet (i.e. canine distemper, parvo, feline distemper)(15- p35, 20, 21, 23) Modified live virus vaccines must replicate to stimulate the immune system. If another MLV vaccine is given, the antibodies from the first vaccine block the replication of the new virus. The actively acquired immunity in effect neutralizes the antigens of second vaccine, and there is little or no effect. (8,15,16,19,23a,23c) The titer (level of immunity) is not "boosted" nor are memory cells expanded. Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary (6), they subject the pet to the potential risk of adverse reactions like allergic reactions, Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (4, 21) (a disease where the dog rejects its' own blood) and Injection Site Fibrosarcomas for cats. The AVMA Council on Biologic and Therapeutic Agents has stated: There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of modified live virus vaccines. Dogs and cats no longer need to be vaccinated against Distemper, Parvo, and Feline Leukemia every year. Once the initial series of puppy or kitten vaccinations and first annual vaccinations are completed, immunity from MLV vaccines persists for life. It has been shown that cats over one year of age are immune to Feline Leukemia virus whether they have been vaccinated or not. Imagine the money you will save, not to mention less risks from side effectsVaccines are not harmless. In addition to IMHA and Injection Site Fibrosarcomas mentioned above, adverse events and reactions will be discussed with each individual vaccine. For information on hypothyriodism HOD and chronic renal failure, see the section on adverse reactions. Modified live vaccines for diseases like Parvovirus and Distemper provide lifetime immunity when administered to adult ( >6 mo) dogs and cats.(23) There is no justification for vaccination of dogs for corona virus.(23) There is little justification for annual vaccination of adult cats for Feline Leukemia. Cats over one year of age are immune to FeLV whether they are vaccinated or not. This is age related immunity. Vaccines should not be marketed in areas of the country where the diseases are very rare. Leptospirosis and Lyme disease are not prevalent in Texas. The risk for side effects outweigh the possible benefits for diseases like Feline Chlamydia , Canine Leptospirosis & Lyme Disease. Owners should be accurately informed of efficacy, risk vs.. benefit, prevalence of disease, and potential side effects of each vaccine. The USDA, APHIS, Center for Veterinary Biologics needs to revise its standards for licensing animal vaccines.