My dog was bitten by a tick?

He was immunized as puppy so he can't get Lyme disease, should i take him to the vet

He was immunized as puppy so he can't get Lyme disease, should i take him to the vet...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog was bitten by a tick?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog was bitten by a tick?

My dog was bitten by a tick? General Dog Discussions
      He was immunized as puppy so he can't get Lyme disease, should i take him to the vet

My dog was bitten by a tick? General Dog Discussions
    • UHHHH...............NO!!! Did you pull the tick off? They don't just bite and let go. Get your dog on frontline so when the ticks bite, they fall off and do not stay on to suck blood. If ticks were fatally harmful to dogs, the dog population would be endangered!!!

• There are other diseases that dogs can get from ticks, like from a brown dog tick... and they can get rocky mountain spotted fever. If it was just a wood tick, there's no need for concern, but if it wasn't it wouldn't hurt to get him checked out.

• Assuming the tick has been removed (you can do that yourself with a tweezer), and the dog isn't showing any strange symptoms (vomiting, unusual swelling at the site of the bite), I don't think there's any reason to take the dog to the vet. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

• If the tick is still inside of him, take it out. The easiest way is to pull on the tick by the head until it comes out, but it takes some strength. Ticks are extremely strong little critters and if you do not pull it out by the head than the head will pop off and remain inside of the dog acting as a "valve" where blood will continue to come out. If the tick is out, and all is normal, than simply keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary in the next 2 weeks. After that you are safe. So no you don't have to take it to the vet at this very moment.

• In my opinion, I would check it out first. Then, take him to the veterinarian. For safe keeping, you should buy a flea and tick spray. I have something called BioSpot and it works really well. It repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. What I really love about it is that it's made for both dogs AND puppies. Also, when you take your dog to the vet, bring along the tick and flea spray and ask your veterinarian if it works out for your dog. Some sprays can cause an allergic reaction to some dogs, so let the veterinarian check out your dog and the spray to keep away from further bites.