Tomorrow is my first day with my rescued puppy (approx. 8 weeks old). Advice?

I am taking it to the vet in the morning for all the proper treatment (fleas, heartworms, vaccinations). Please give me advice on how much this should cost cause I am always on a budget, but I don't want to get anything of poor quality. Also, do you know…

I am taking it to the vet in the morning for all the proper treatment (fleas, heartworms, vaccinations). Please give me advice on how much this should cost cause I am always on a budget, but I don't want to get anything of poor quality. Also, do you know…...
    General Dog Discussions : Tomorrow is my first day with my rescued puppy (approx. 8 weeks old). Advice?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tomorrow is my first day with my rescued puppy (approx. 8 weeks old). Advice?

Tomorrow is my first day with my rescued puppy (approx. 8 weeks old). Advice? General Dog Discussions
      I am taking it to the vet in the morning for all the proper treatment (fleas, heartworms, vaccinations). Please give me advice on how much this should cost cause I am always on a budget, but I don't want to get anything of poor quality. Also, do you know of any really good websites or books that provide advice on raising a puppy? Thank you very much I want to do the best for my dog.

Tomorrow is my first day with my rescued puppy (approx. 8 weeks old). Advice? General Dog Discussions
    • You should raise the dog as your own kid, but not like a real child, treat him like a dog. And you should be careful not to spoil the dog (dog's can become spoiled too). And always be sure to praise him whenever he's done something good.You should train the puppy well, you should at least teach him to sit before you give the food to him. Whenever he poos or pees on the wrong spot (sofa, rug, ect.), you should tell him off. (Don't take pity on your dog, and since your dog is still small don't hit him to hard just yet)You should never give your dog human food or else he'll get a skin disease, and also never shower your dog with human shampoo (dog's skin is really sensitive).Hope this helps :)

• congrats! try these =D :http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=A&articleID=177&gclid=CKLlnZC3x5oCFRIcawodKGsm2whttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bruno/puppyraising.htmhttp://www.costhelper.com/cost/pets/dog-vaccination.htmlhttp://www.dogstardaily.com/training/raising-puppy

• like it or not its going to be expensive. my last visit to the vet was just over 500. my pet got lots of work done,some which was way over due. but some of those shots add up. maybe space them out or ask the vet if you can go monthly payments. this is one of the best ebooks around-http://370283v63isk3z2evezjeu1xdr.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=002

• don't spoil it start trainging asap teach him to stay in your yard without runing away and the reson i say teach him tricks from day is because the first dog i had was spoiled by me i did not strt training untill he was 7 mouths i dont know why he jumped on people just remember start training tomarow

• Congrats on the new addition. Patience with a puppy is a must. Never yell or hit your puppy. Positive reinforcment with treats is the way to go when potty training or obedience training. The vet, if they give him shots, that'll be about $75-$100, the visit will be $40, the heartworm stuff and flea/tick stuff, you can buy that online. They will probably do a heartworm test ($20) and take a poop sample for a fecal exam ($20). Then they'll give you a de-wormer ($10) Then you get to repeat the shot part in another month and then in another month, then the rabies at about 16-20 weeks old. I recommend Revolution at http://www.canadavet.com or petcarerx.com Revolution does heartworm treatment, and takes care of flea/ticks etc. Get only 3 vials, as your puppy will grow and you'll need the bigger size. Have them teach you how to clip his nails cause this will save you money too. Wire Crates are great with a nice doggie bed in them with removable cover for accidents. I put plastic pads in there under the cover so if he goes in there, I just replace the pads and wash the cover. Cover the crate at nite but leave a little hole to see out of. Let the crate by your bed so he knows you;re there for him. Let him out often (every hour or so and after eating, drinking, naps and when waking in the morning.) You may have to carry him out upon waking after a nap etc cause he'll want to go right away. Get a good quality dog food with NO corn, wheat, gleuten, soy or by products. A good one is Wellness Just for Puppy. Petco has it and many other good dog foods. Look at labels. http://www.canismajor.com

• Chances are your pup has already had some type of vaccinations done. You'll have at least 3 months of treatments (shots, worming etc) and then the shots are yearly. I can't really give you a price because it really depends on where you live.Once your pup is started on heartworm preventive keep it year round and buy a 6 month supply as that cost will grow with the size of your pup (it goes by weight). I don't know what your weather is but if you have cold months then don't worry about flea treatment during that time. Once the weather starts to warm up (April-May here) then start your flea treatment (we use Frontline).Have a crate/kennel that your pup can be at night or when you're gone during the day. Get Nylabone chews for your pup (they're spendy but last a long time). Many other things depend on the breed you're getting (even if it's mixed). We have 2 that are mixed and one that's a full bred. Beagle/Jack Russel Terrier (tri-colored like a beagle the size of the JRT), German Shepherd/Chow (black & tan has black/blue on his tongue and is the size of a female GS) and a full bred German Shepherd.The good thing for you is the age of your pup and not having any kind of issues that our two mix bred dogs have even now. We adopted both, the Beagle mix was a year or so old and the GS mix was only 5 months old. The Beagle will be 5 this year and the GS mix will be 4 and they still have past issues (their issues aren't bad/mean towards people). Our full bred that we got at the age of your pup has no issues at all. Good luck with your new pup and if I can help more let me know.

• Congratulations on your new puppy!! Talk to your vet about what is required for your puppy (vaccination schedule, etc.) Most vets have like a puppy package that bundles the required treatment and costs less than getting certain services separately. Take any medical records you may already have on him with you tomorrow so the vet can see what, if anything, has already been done. Tomorrow he will want to check a stool sample (be sure and take one with you) to check for worms. He will probably want to deworm the puppy and give him his first puppy combination vaccine, often called a 5-way vaccine, usually includes adenovirus cough and hepatitis, distemper, parainfluenza, and parvovirus. Some combination vaccines may also include leptospirosis (7-way vaccines) and/or coronavirus.If possible, have your puppy microchipped tommorrow as well. If your puppy is ever lost or stolen, the microchip may help in reuniting the two of you and will be worth the added expense. The vet will set up an appointment for you to take the puppy back at 12 weeks for his DHLPP and rabies injection. Although the vet will likely start him on heartworm medicine tomorrow, he will not need a heartworm test until he's one year of age. Heartworm medicine is not cheap, and prices vary by what they do. Some prevent heartworms only, some several kinds of worms, and some medicines prevent fleas as well. The cost of heartworm medicines is generally based on the dog's weight because they require a higher dosage the more they weigh.Unless you live in an area with high tick infestation, you probably don't need to worry about Lyme Disease injection -- it's benefits are controversial anyway. Also, unless you are planning on boarding your dog or having him around a lot of other dogs, you may want to wait on a Bordatella vaccination. It's not one of the mandatory vaccinations that will adversely impact the puppy's health unless he's going to be boarded within the next month or two or gonig to the groomer's, etc. Also you will want to inquire about spaying/neutering and what age it should be done and the cost so you can start planning for it now. You may want to look into pet insurance. There are several good plans available and the choice of services are as varied as human insurance. However, in the long run it may come in handy if your pet gets ill or injured. Some plans also offer wellness options that cover routine vet visits, annual physicals, vaccinations, dental cleaning, etc. Vets are very glad to have responsible pet owners ask questions about care, price, etc. It helps people plan and prevents neglected animals if people know what to plan for in advance.