What kind of 'job' should I give to my Australian Shepard / Border Collie mix puppy?

I have a 10 week old Australian Shepard Border Collie mix breed. I have been reading several articles about how this breed is a natural herder and needs to be given a 'job' to do. I live in a fairly large apartment in the city with plenty of large…

What kind of 'job' should I give to my Australian Shepard / Border Collie mix puppy?

I have a 10 week old Australian Shepard Border Collie mix breed. I have been reading several articles about how this breed is a natural herder and needs to be given a 'job' to do. I live in a fairly large apartment in the city with plenty of large…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What kind of 'job' should I give to my Australian Shepard / Border Collie mix puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What kind of 'job' should I give to my Australian Shepard / Border Collie mix puppy?

What kind of 'job' should I give to my Australian Shepard / Border Collie mix puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 10 week old Australian Shepard Border Collie mix breed. I have been reading several articles about how this breed is a natural herder and needs to be given a 'job' to do. I live in a fairly large apartment in the city with plenty of large parks nearby to go to. What sorts of 'jobs' can I give my puppy to do given my surroundings?

What kind of 'job' should I give to my Australian Shepard / Border Collie mix puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It doesn't have to be a job exactly. They just need lots of exercise, they get bored if they are not able to run and play. They will be destructive if they get bored. My Australian Shepard loved to play fetch, we live in the country so I take him for walks without a leash so that he can run a little bit.

• You can play "hide and seek" in your apartment. You can do all kinds of games with him (like hiding a treat under a cup -- like the old "shell game" and having him pick out the right cup. You should enroll him in puppy obedience classes now so he can be socialized and learn to learn. (Yes, I wrote that right!) When he gets older, agility classes and flyball are good options for him.

• Put his food in puzzle toys like a Tug-a-jug or Buster Cube.Have "kibble hunts" like easter egg hunts, just put pup in bathroom or somewhere he can't see you, and hide kibble all over the house, then let him out to find them. He may need some help at first but should get it pretty quickly.Dog sports like flyball or agility competition.Get him a backpack to carry while on walks.Get "101 dog tricks" book and train him.

• A friend of mine has a Blue Heeler whose job is to carry one piece of laundry from the dryer to the bedroom for folding. Be creative. it doesn't have to be anything complex.

• My aunt has a dog very similar and she puts a "backpack" on the dog and fills it so it is a little heavy then walks it. They feel like it is doing work and they get great exercise. The backpack can be just a cloth with pockets draped across their back and secured. I know they are sold somewhere or you can make one really easily. The dog might feel wierd about it at first, but my aunt said that the more she did it the more the dog liked it!

• Advanced obedience training is the one thing you will be able to do with your limited living space. Daily training for this is going to really get your dog thinking and using its brain is what it needs!I would consider getting into a local competition obedience class with your dog and learn all about it. UKC also allows mixed breeds to compete, so you can even pursue titles on your dog to show off all the hard work you've done.