when should I get the puppy parvo vaccine?

I have a mother dog that was exposed to parvo about 2 weeks ago from another dog. She is vaccinated and fine but I am afraid it might be in her system. She is due to have puppies any day. When should I get the vet to vaccinate her pups?

I have a mother dog that was exposed to parvo about 2 weeks ago from another dog. She is vaccinated and fine but I am afraid it might be in her system. She is due to have puppies any day. When should I get the vet to vaccinate her pups?...
    General Dog Discussions : when should I get the puppy parvo vaccine?...

• when should I get the puppy parvo vaccine?

when should I get the puppy parvo vaccine? General Dog Discussions
      I have a mother dog that was exposed to parvo about 2 weeks ago from another dog. She is vaccinated and fine but I am afraid it might be in her system. She is due to have puppies any day. When should I get the vet to vaccinate her pups?

when should I get the puppy parvo vaccine? General Dog Discussions
    • i would call your local vet, and tell them your situation. they need to know as soon as possible, because it is better safe than sorry, and puppies are very fragile and susceptible to disease when they are so young.

• The pups will receive maternal antibodies from the mothers colostrum, and this should field them from most diseases. First vaccine should be given at 6-8 weeks, boosted around 12 weeks, and last booster (along with rabies) at 16 weeks

• 8 weeks old. The puppies are more likly to catch parvo at the vet if they go earlier then that. Dogs will not get Parvo from the vaccine, but when the vaccine is administered at a vet clinic to 6 wk old puppies only 30% will respond to the vaccine with any protection while all will likely be exposed. It is likely some of them will come down with parvo which they caught at the Vet Clinic. For this reason we do not start the initial series of vaccinations until the puppies are 8 wks old and are better able to respond to the vaccine.*** It is not the vaccination at 6 wks that I object to but the increased exposure to the virus at the Vet Clinic at an age when maternal antibodies will interfere with the response to the vaccination. I would encourage breeders who have a problem with Parvovirus to vaccinate puppies at home with Parvo, but not Distemper, and only at 6 weeks and no younger, to aid in cutting losses.Puppies receive antibodies through their mother's milk (colostrum) the very first time they nurse. This natural protection can last up to 8 - 14 weeks. Puppies & kittens should not be vaccinated at less than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine & only a few (0 -35%) will be protected(6, 7, 11, 13, 20, 21, 23). Unfortunately, taking this unprotected baby out of the house and to a veterinary clinic will expose it to parvovirus without protection. Vaccination at home by a breeder at 6 weeks may provide protection for some puppies (0 -35%) It is the not the vaccination at 6 weeks that is objectionable, but the increased risk of exposure to the Parvovirus you are trying to protect against. Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine. Vaccination of dogs for Distemper at too young of an age has been shown to cause Hypertropic Osteodystrophy, especially in Weimaraners. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart suppress rather than stimulate the immune system (6, 27, 23).