I want to get a dog. What will be the right age to purchase it?

Also, can you give me a chart or a list what age the dog has to take vaccinations, because I know there are a few of them I just don't know how old the puppy has to be... THX!

Also, can you give me a chart or a list what age the dog has to take vaccinations, because I know there are a few of them I just don't know how old the puppy has to be... THX!...
    General Dog Discussions : I want to get a dog. What will be the right age to purchase it?...

• I want to get a dog. What will be the right age to purchase it?

I want to get a dog. What will be the right age to purchase it? General Dog Discussions
      Also, can you give me a chart or a list what age the dog has to take vaccinations, because I know there are a few of them I just don't know how old the puppy has to be... THX!

I want to get a dog. What will be the right age to purchase it? General Dog Discussions
    • you need to find a breeder that absolutely will not let you have a puppy until the puppy is between 8-10 weeks old. no sooner than that.Also, the breeder should take care of first shots and deworming (if they are a reputable breeder that is) ((breeder takes care of these)----5 weeks-- Parvovirus: for puppies at high risk of exposure to parvo, some veterinarians recommend vaccinating at 5 weeks. Check with your veterinarian. 6 weeks Distemper, Deworming, Fecal flotation, Heartworm preventive (you take care of these below) 9 weeks Distemper, Parvo, Corona, Bordetella 12 weeks Distemper, Parvo, Corona 16 weeks Distemper, Parvo, Corona, Rabies, Fecal Flotation, Lyme Annually Distemper, Parvo, Corona, Rabies, Fecal Flotation, Heartworm test

• If you want to get a puppy, find a breeder. You can use sites like http://www.petfinder.com, or you can look in your local newspaper. Make sure that the parents are healthy, have had all their shots, and have good temperment. You don't want the "breeder" your buying from to be a backyard breeder (BYB). A BYB breeds any dogs, regardless of health, breed, temperment, etc. just to make money. It's very dangerous for the parents, and the puppies won't turn out well either. When you get your puppy, it should be about 7-10 weeks old. If it is any younger, the pup has been taken away from her mom too soon and it has a harder chance of being healthy and surviving.If you don't want a puppy, or at least a baby puppy, look into your nearest animal shelter. They have many ages, shapes, sizes, and colors of dogs. Most of the dogs there are actually very, very sweet, and occasionaly a pregnant mom will walk in and there are new puppies galore!Rabies: First taken when the dog is over 12 weeks of age, and then it is given one year and every three years after that.DHLPP: Given at 8, 10, 12, 16, or 20 weeks of age, and then yearly after that. "DHLPP" stands for "Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus".Coronavirus: Many vets include this in the DHLPP vaccine, it is given around the same time as the DHLPP shots.Bordetella: Given yearly. If your dog is going to go to a boarding kennel, it's best to give this shot to your dog 7-10 days before they arive there.Giardia: A newer vaccine that is given yearly.

• when you are 18 and out on your own. did you mean the dog? at the least 12 weeks and take to vet for shot schedule. adopt an older one and take to vet for shot schedule.