I know you are supposed to vaccinate your puppy at 8 and 10 weeks, but is it the same shots?

if not, what is the second sets of shots I am supposed to give my puppy?No if you vaccinate at 7 weeks, you take away from their defenses given to them by their mother. I prefer 8 weeks to 7.

I know you are supposed to vaccinate your puppy at 8 and 10 weeks, but is it the same shots?

if not, what is the second sets of shots I am supposed to give my puppy?No if you vaccinate at 7 weeks, you take away from their defenses given to them by their mother. I prefer 8 weeks to 7....
    General Dog Discussions : I know you are supposed to vaccinate your puppy at 8 and 10 weeks, but is it the same shots?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I know you are supposed to vaccinate your puppy at 8 and 10 weeks, but is it the same shots?

I know you are supposed to vaccinate your puppy at 8 and 10 weeks, but is it the same shots? General Dog Discussions
      if not, what is the second sets of shots I am supposed to give my puppy?No if you vaccinate at 7 weeks, you take away from their defenses given to them by their mother. I prefer 8 weeks to 7.

I know you are supposed to vaccinate your puppy at 8 and 10 weeks, but is it the same shots? General Dog Discussions
    • If you do not know the answer to this question you should have your puppy vaccinated by a veterinarian. I do not recommend low cost vaccination clinics because if you lose your paperwork it is impossible to get another copy. If you go to a regular vet it is right in you file.The combo shot includes distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvo. There are some that include leptospirosis. There are different vaccination schedules. I give my puppies combo without lepto at 8 and 12 weeks and a final combo with lepto after 16 weeks. If a dog is going to have a vaccine reaction it is most likely to the leptospirosis component. You need to check your local laws on rabies vaccination. Your puppy will have to be vaccinated around 4 months old depending on the law in your area. Where I live any dog older than 4 months must be vaccinated within 30 days but vaccines give before 4 calendar months are not valid.Edit: Vaccinating before 8 weeks does not take away any immunity. If a puppy is still protected by its mother's antibodies they will neutralize the vaccine making it ineffective. You want to get immunity with the least amount of shots. The longer you wait to give the first shot the more likely it is the puppy will be protected. It is a balancing act and should be evaluated on a case by case basis. Puppies in a kennel situation should be vaccinated as soon as possible. Puppies in a knowledgeable breeder's home with little exposure risk can probably wait till 8 weeks.