I am getting a puppy and I am wondering what I should do to get the best socialization for my puppy. Thanks?

Its a golden retriever puppy. The breeder said that the puppy should already be well socialized but I want to go the extra mile to remove any of the psychological problems that come with lack of socialization

I am getting a puppy and I am wondering what I should do to get the best socialization for my puppy. Thanks?

Its a golden retriever puppy. The breeder said that the puppy should already be well socialized but I want to go the extra mile to remove any of the psychological problems that come with lack of socialization...
    General Dog Discussions : I am getting a puppy and I am wondering what I should do to get the best socialization for my puppy. Thanks?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am getting a puppy and I am wondering what I should do to get the best socialization for my puppy. Thanks?

I am getting a puppy and I am wondering what I should do to get the best socialization for my puppy. Thanks? General Dog Discussions
      Its a golden retriever puppy. The breeder said that the puppy should already be well socialized but I want to go the extra mile to remove any of the psychological problems that come with lack of socialization

I am getting a puppy and I am wondering what I should do to get the best socialization for my puppy. Thanks? General Dog Discussions
    • go to dog parks get her to learn to get along with other dogs of all sizes.if you know anyone with cats ask if your dog can meet them if their cats get along with dogs(keep pup on leash)get her to meet kids of all ages so she isnt aggressivegive her plenty of love and socilazationwhy not rescue instead of buying the dogs at the pound are usually well socialized with the other animals at the pound try petfinder.com

• Take the puppy out to dog parks (if there's any near you) and let him/her socialize with other dogs his/her age. Also if you have any family members with dogs his/her age, let them play together for awhile. With people socialization, take the dog to places, parks, walks, family parties if okay, etc.

• Did you consider enrolling your puppy in a puppy socialization class? You should look online for classes in your area----our local Petsmart had them. As long as you keep your puppy updated on his or her vaccines (very important), it should be great, controlled way for the dog to socialize. Many socialization classes also cover basic obdediance training (basic commands- sit, stay, come etc).

• I got two puppies so they won't be lonely. Here is a video of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSMv81qoFh8That way, if you can handle it, you won't feel guilty when you're out of the house an extended period of time.

• congrats---i think it's always a good idea to take them to obedience classes; plus places like PETCO & PETSMART let you bring in your dog to walk around-- they also offer training classes; plus just get your dog out there and go for a walk-- dog parks are always a good bet..

• I took both my dogs to a puppy kindergarten class. It teachs the basics of obedience while letting the dogs get to know other pups around their own age and size. You can enroll as soon as your dog has had all it's shots.

• We took our puppy too a local park with lots of other dogs big and small. I also introduced him to cats at my sisters house. Introducing the puppy to kids,cats,other dogs at a young age is really worth it...it makes it so much better for you and the dog in public and such...take him to petsmart or petco and whatever it's fun for them and you! p.s i have a male dog and having him fixed is alor easier..they don't try to be dominant over EVERYTHING..it makes it less tense

• get it some toys and play tug of war with it!! dogs love to play tug of war!! but dont pull too hard... and let her get the "item" a couple times becuz if u always get the toy, the puppy mite give up.. but yea just play with it and be sure ur the one who feeds it and takes it on walks cuz dogs grow very attached mostly to the person who feeds them, plays with them, and takes them out.. good luck!!

• There's lots of things that you can do. Dog parks are great, but pick up your puppy if there are dogs running at him or crowding him, as this can scare a puppy and make him fearful. Training classes are excellent, even if you don't necessarily need the help training your dog. It helps to do training during distractions, and the puppy gets to meet lots of dogs. Also, don't forget human socialization, it;s just as important. Have neighbors, kids, and anyone that is willing handle the puppy to help him get used to people and being handled. Get him used to kids especially, since kids can be frightening to dogs that aren't used to kids activity and noise level. Just make sure to supervise, so the puppy doesn't accidentally get hurt.

• First of all, hoepfully you got the puppy at 8 weeks of age as that si the ideal age. By that age, they have received the best socialization skills you can achieve from the litter. Next, what you want to do to socialize the puppy is training classes. most dog training schools have puppy kindergarden, get your puppy in rolled, and then take all courses. Also, you can take them to places like petsmart and petco, however, i can not urge you enough, if the puppy has not had all its shots, DO NOT LET IT WALK ON THE GROUND. Not everyone keeps up to date with the shots and your puppy could easily catch something like parvo or distemper from walking on the surface. Even if a puppy with parvo or distemper was in there and had an accident that was cleaned up, the virus can stick around on the surface for up to a year. Finally, check with your vet, there are many vets that have doggy daycare. Look for one inyou area and try to let your dog go there once or twice a week.

• An excellent question! You are certainly trying to do the right things for your puppy-s/he's very lucky! See if you can find a list of places in your city that allow dogs- pet stores, obviously, but we have some food places (on the patio), REI used to allow dogs, and even a bookstore! Also, introduce puppy to EVERY kind of person you can find-babies, children, elderly, people with hats, people with walkers/wheelchairs, loud people, both genders in all of these. Bring along some treats and ask people if they'll help you socialize your dog-most people love to! Obviously be careful and observant in new situations-watch puppy closely. If s/he's nervous, take it slowly-remember these people are doing you a favor! Start "easy", like just in front of your house, and move to "advanced" like a crowded airport. Work on stairs (particuarly open-backed ones), shiny floors, rocky areas, food places, in the car. Anywhere that will let your dog in! Enroll in a good puppy class (observe a couple first, if possible)-petsmart actually has great classes. When he learns commands (even just "sit")-"play Dr. Seuss" meaning can he sit on a box, how about near come clocks, can he sit here or there-so he can sit anywhere! Be careful in dog parks-energy runs high there, and a pack of fully grown big dogs can be a bit much for a puppy. you don't really want him off leash until he has some training, and you shouldn't have your dog on-leash in a dog park-makes them feel vunerable and impedes doggy "talking" (body language). Plus, there's no guarantee those dogs have shots, are nice, etc etc. Talk to friends whose dogs you know and see if they'll let your pup meet their dogs. Always tell puppy what a good dog s/he is, maybe treats, too. And on a final note, there is a critical "imprinting period' that's important for puppy socialization, but socialization continues througout life. Sounds like you've done your research-congrats on the puppy.

• My advise is to expose your puppy to new things daily. I live in a more rural area, so the park is excellent. I use to take my puppy to the park & teach her to walk on leash. Then we would go to the kids playground where she was exposed to children of all ages. I have a small dog, so the children loved to come pet her. She would bark the 1st time she saw a stroller, a skate board, even a fire hydrant, but then got use to them. We would also meet an occasional dog, so it gave her an oppty to meet other dogs. As she got older, I would teach her "off leash" walking at the same park. You may be able to accomplish the same thing by walking your puppy in your neighborhood where it would meet different people, animals & things, etc.The next best thing I did was take my dog to the dog park after she completed all her puppy shots (very important). There she got to play with other dogs off leash in a fenced area. You can do a search on Ask on "dog parks" to get more input on ettiquette, safety, etc. since I think there was a question recently.Take your dog whenever you can, as long as it's safe (e.g. don't leave in the car during hot weather while you go into a store). For example, take it with you to events where dogs are welcome - if you have children, take the dog to their sporting games, or to park concerts when dogs are allowed, etc. You get the picture -- your dog gets socialized by being exposed to lots of different people, animals, buildings, equipment, noises, etc.The suggestion for puppy kindergarten training is excellent. It's usually very basic obedience training with time allowed afterwards for the dogs to socialize. I took my dog to a weekly doggy "playtime" at the local dog training facility. My little girl, Rosie, is a little social butterfly - LOL! You were right on to ask the question about continuing to socialize your puppy - Good Luck!