What age is too old for female dog breeding?

I have a female Yorkie who weighs about 4 lbs. I've always wanted to breed her but never had the opportunity to. She is now almost 7 years old and I would like to do so. Is she too old to have at least one litter?

I have a female Yorkie who weighs about 4 lbs. I've always wanted to breed her but never had the opportunity to. She is now almost 7 years old and I would like to do so. Is she too old to have at least one litter?...
    General Dog Discussions : What age is too old for female dog breeding?...

• What age is too old for female dog breeding?

What age is too old for female dog breeding? General Dog Discussions
      I have a female Yorkie who weighs about 4 lbs. I've always wanted to breed her but never had the opportunity to. She is now almost 7 years old and I would like to do so. Is she too old to have at least one litter?

What age is too old for female dog breeding? General Dog Discussions
    • She needs to see a vet to make sure her heart etc can handle having puppies.you would need to do that even if she were younger either way the vet can help you out the best

• If she is 7 years old, the she is to old to breed and if you go ahead and breed her anyway, you would be putting her life at risk. She's is too tiny to breed at 4 pounds. Your Yorkie has not passed Confirmation, Temperament, Health and Genetic testing, which makes her Pet Quality NOT Breeding Quality. Small breeds should only be bred by professional breeders, who are breeding to better the breed. Small breed dogs like Yorkie's and Chihuahuas sometimes have serious complications trying to whelp (deliver) their puppies. If they do have complications like the puppy getting stuck, puppy being dead preventing delivery of other puppies, puppies coming out Breech (legs first), and so many more complications and you don't know what to do to help her, it can cost your Yorkie her life. Some small breeds require C-Sections (costing you $2000-$4000), in order to save the mothers and the puppies lives. Do you have that kind of money saved up if your Yorkie would need a C-Section? If you breed your Yorkie and she ends up having complications and you don't know how to assist her and her puppies or you don't get your female to the vet fast enough, your Yorkie and her puppies will die. Are you willing to risk your Yorkie dying because you want puppies? She could care less if she has puppies or not. Have her Spayed and leave the breeding to the professionals. She will be much healthier and happier in the long run. Enjoy her as a pet.I think you should read the links I provided. When you do, I think you will change your mind about breeding her. Breeding dogs is expensive and not as easy as you think. Some of the stories in these links are from people that have bred their dogs and the experiences they went through.http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/showdogs/breedingreproducing.htmhttp://www.hkc.org/breeding_your_dog.htmhttp://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html

• Much too old, especially for a first litter. Decent breeders are spaying by age 6. Besides, you have no idea what you have to actually do before you can breed her so by the time you are ready she will be 8, which is elderly.

• She is way too old. Get her spayed. No more yorkies are needed. We get an average of 5 a week people wanting to surrender their "purebred yorkies." This is only one rescue.Go to www.petfinder.com and see how many yorkies are up for adoption, thousands and thousands.