Does anyone know of a web site that can explain inguinal hernia bilat in my litter of puppies?

I was told by my vet that inguinal hernias are hereditary, but she couldn't tell me if it's the dam or sire that is the carrier. Since I own both, I need to find out which it is so he or she can be retired. Any information would be greatly appreciated.…

Does anyone know of a web site that can explain inguinal hernia bilat in my litter of puppies?

I was told by my vet that inguinal hernias are hereditary, but she couldn't tell me if it's the dam or sire that is the carrier. Since I own both, I need to find out which it is so he or she can be retired. Any information would be greatly appreciated.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Does anyone know of a web site that can explain inguinal hernia bilat in my litter of puppies?...

• Does anyone know of a web site that can explain inguinal hernia bilat in my litter of puppies?

Does anyone know of a web site that can explain inguinal hernia bilat in my litter of puppies? General Dog Discussions
      I was told by my vet that inguinal hernias are hereditary, but she couldn't tell me if it's the dam or sire that is the carrier. Since I own both, I need to find out which it is so he or she can be retired. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Does anyone know of a web site that can explain inguinal hernia bilat in my litter of puppies? General Dog Discussions
    • Hernias have a hereditary basis, because there is a genetic predisposition for delayed closure of the abdominal ring (and this is what CAUSES a hernia due to genetic reasons). umbilical hernias in puppies are a genetic or congenital defect in over 90% of the cases. The disorder is passed from generation to generation just like the color of the coat or the animal's overall size. Very, very rarely are they caused by trauma or excessive pressures during whelping. Animals that have a hernia or had a surgical repair of a hernia should never be used for breeding. Additionally, those adults that produce puppies with this condition should not be bred again.

• Hernias in the groin commonly occur in female dogs that are pregnant or experiencing bloating or constipation,occasionally the problem is seen in male dogs as well. In all cases, tissue that belongs in the rear of the abdominal cavity pressesout through a weak area surrounding the femoral artery and nerve. Usually the hernia sac contains nothing but fat. It is reducible back into the abdomen with finger pressure. It is really difficult or obscure to say that it is hereditary as the strength of muscles of abdomen also determine a lot. Although Factors like diet esp. Constipating ,predispose a pet to such condition.

• As you have seen the hereditary aspect of inguinal herniation is only a small aspect and can be linked to either parent. If you are wanting to know which bloodline it runs in (don't be surprised if it is both) there is no genetic test available so you are going to have to trace both back and see which side there is more evidence of a defiant gene.Good to see a responsible breeder out there!