My older sister thinks its ok for our puppy to eat cat food?

My older sister (in her 30s) says that our vet said that cat food is the same just smaller. Iknow that its not. Shes always saying just let her eat the cat food. Help in proving my sister wrong>?

My older sister (in her 30s) says that our vet said that cat food is the same just smaller. Iknow that its not. Shes always saying just let her eat the cat food. Help in proving my sister wrong>?...
    General Dog Discussions : My older sister thinks its ok for our puppy to eat cat food?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My older sister thinks its ok for our puppy to eat cat food?

My older sister thinks its ok for our puppy to eat cat food? General Dog Discussions
      My older sister (in her 30s) says that our vet said that cat food is the same just smaller. Iknow that its not. Shes always saying just let her eat the cat food. Help in proving my sister wrong>?

My older sister thinks its ok for our puppy to eat cat food? General Dog Discussions
    • NO - dog food is made for dogs, cat food is made for cats. While it will not hurt either one to occasionally have a bite, long term feeding of the inappropriate food will cause serious health problems in each species.For starters, cat food has much higher protein then dog food and dog food doesn't have the necessary taurine that is essential for cats (or they will go blind).

• Cats are obligate carnivores. They need a protein called Taurine, that is added to cat food.Dogs do not need this additive.If a dog eats cat food occasionally, it will not hurt the dog. It just won't get a balanced diet.If however you feed a cat on dog food it will become seriously ill.

• well i mean it wont hurt the dog to eat cat food . the cat can eat cat food . maybe your sister is being a little cheap because cat food is not as expensive as dog food so she prefers to get cat food for your dog. your dog will be fine =)

• You have no idea what dogs will eat to no bad effect. I won't tell you, because it is disgusting. However, that a dog eats cat food is nothing. Fine. OK. Not a problem.But why the ding dong is the dog eating the cat's food? Hey, who's boss here? Get that dog under some kinda control!

• There are different nutrients in dog and cat food. It will not harm the dog to eat cat food for a short period of time, but if the dog continues to eat cat food, it will not have enough vitamins and minerals that are essential to a dog.Same is for a cat. Short period of time - OKLong period of time - Bad

• Cat food has too much protein, and that's especially not good for a growing puppy. Mine tries to eat cat food all the time (dogs will eat anything!) and I just remove it from her. Don't let the dog do that!

• Your vet is an IDIOTCat food is NOT the same as dog food! Just look at the ingredients an nutritional information.Cat food is way too high in protiens fats and other nutrients that dogs do NOT need.. it can be very hard on a dog's kidneys and liver to process those extra nutrients.. the extra fats can cause pancreatis.My cousin's dog was fed a diet of cat food and table scraps, she needed surgury to remove large bladder stones before she was even 3 years old. When the vet asked about the diet.. he told my aunt that cat food is the WORST THING you can feed a dog.. he made NO mention of the table scraps!Dogs need DOG FOOD... cat food is for cats, not dogs. If it were all the same, it would be packaged and labelled the same as "pet food".. it wouldnt be sold separatly.I'd advice you find a new vet.