Did my puppy have an allergic reaction?

My 4-month-old puppy chewed apart a piece of cactus and now his mouth and throat are really swollen. He was acting kind of spacey and drowsy. I think it was an allergic reaction but the swelling has gone down. What should I do? Is it serious?

My 4-month-old puppy chewed apart a piece of cactus and now his mouth and throat are really swollen. He was acting kind of spacey and drowsy. I think it was an allergic reaction but the swelling has gone down. What should I do? Is it serious?...
    General Dog Discussions : Did my puppy have an allergic reaction?...

• Did my puppy have an allergic reaction?

Did my puppy have an allergic reaction? General Dog Discussions
      My 4-month-old puppy chewed apart a piece of cactus and now his mouth and throat are really swollen. He was acting kind of spacey and drowsy. I think it was an allergic reaction but the swelling has gone down. What should I do? Is it serious?

Did my puppy have an allergic reaction? General Dog Discussions
    • Ever think a VET might be able to help?????You should not be trying to get cheap medical advice here. At least CALL a vet and see if it something that they would consider an emergency. Vets are not all hot to come in after hours if they don't have to.

• It sounds like an allergic reaction alright. As long as the swelling has gone down that is a good sign, try giving him as much water as possible. Try giving the vet a call to see if there is anything else you can do. In the mean time here is a link to a list of items that can be poisonous for your dog.http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/poisonousplantsdogscats.pdf?docID=109&AddInterest=1101

• It sounds as though your pup had an allergic reaction to the cactus. Since his mouth and throat were swollen it seems he had a fairly severe reaction, if he's doing better then he's a lucky puppy. That kind of reaction is the most serious as the swelling can cause breathing difficulties, seizures and can even be fatal.You do need to take him to the veterinarian though, cactus has so many sharp pieces, they could be lodged in his mouth or throat and cause infection and more swelling. Please be sure that he can't tear up any more cactus, he may not be so lucky next time!

• Do not wait for the swelling to go down. He may have a thorn stuck in the back of his mouth or throat that you don't know about. Take him to the vet ASAP.

• YES it is serious, for a dogs throat and mouth to swell to noticeable proportions you should have taken the poor sod to a vet, he could have died! Some plants are poisonous to dogs and cats and thats why there was swelling! Take him to a vet immediately and explain when they ask you, why you didn't do so before hand!