What do i need to get before getting a dog?

In a couple of weeks I'm getting a shetland sheepdog puppy, its a girl. I really want to be prepared for her. if you can tell me EVERYTHING even the basic things it would be soooo helpful! thank you soo much!

In a couple of weeks I'm getting a shetland sheepdog puppy, its a girl. I really want to be prepared for her. if you can tell me EVERYTHING even the basic things it would be soooo helpful! thank you soo much!...
    General Dog Discussions : What do i need to get before getting a dog?...

• What do i need to get before getting a dog?

What do i need to get before getting a dog? General Dog Discussions
      In a couple of weeks I'm getting a shetland sheepdog puppy, its a girl. I really want to be prepared for her. if you can tell me EVERYTHING even the basic things it would be soooo helpful! thank you soo much!

What do i need to get before getting a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • i went through the same things i was so nervous of what to prepare before getting a little puppy. All you have to do is buy a comfy bed for them because a puppy sleeps a lot and hire a trainer i got a trainer when my puppy was 15 weeks and he is soo trained now and F.Y.I my puppy is now 1 years old

• A kennel/crate, puppy food, water/food dish, treats, puppy shampoo, brush, chew toys, maybe a collar and a leash and a dogtag but it depends on the age of your pup because young puppies shouldn't wear collars and if you REALLY need her to wear a collar for her dogtag, i suggest having her wear a kitty collar for now. And maybe a bed if you're not crate training and if you're not crate training, get some puppy pads. Good luck and enjoy your new pup! O ya! And get her a cute little bow!!

• you need to make sure that your pet will be secure. you need two bowls, one for food and one for water. you might want to but a toy or two but not too many because she might not like toys. depending on the age, you might want to start to train her in tricks if you want her to do cool tricks. the earlier, the better. but not too soon because she might get scared. start off by keeping her in a separate part of the house with little carpet. if you have allot of carpet, put down plastic. spend about 15 minutes to 2 hours with her to make her know she is loved. keep her on a balanced diet and when she gets old enough, take her on walks getting longer and longer each time, but start off with about a 5 minute walk. there is more to know but that is a start

• a list of things you might need: a bed for the dog, food and water bowls, a leash and collar, bones/toys for it, dog food, dog treats, a comb or brush of some sort, maybe a toothbrush kit (to keep her teeth healthy), a kennel if you want to crate train her, and that's all I can think of. Good luck!

• food/water each day make sure its fresh and get her a crate if needed ,get her spayed asap.get her toys ,a bed and good puppy food and also give her alot of TLC always!!God bless!

• The firs thing you need is a high quality dog food, meaning, holistic dog food. Whatever you do, do NOT buy Iams, Purina, Beneful, Eukanuba etc. I recommend Merrick, I just switched my dog to this food, before he was eating Beneful/Purina and he had a BAD rash on his stomach for over 1 1/2 years. I found out it was because of his crappy food. If the dog food has fillers, by products or corn in it, it is bad. The second I switched him, his rash went away, and his coat and skin is so much more healthy. Alos, make sure that you feed your puppy on a schedule, this is prevent the dog from becoming fat when it is older. Feed her in the morning around 7 or 8 AM and in the afternoon around 7 or 8 PM, no later. This is the website for Merrick:http://www.merrickpetcare.com/Here is a list of things you will need:1. Dog bed and crate. Make sure that both will fit the dog when she is full grown. The crate will help a lot with training abd obedience etc.2. Dog and food bowls. Once again, make sure they are big enough to fit all the food she needs when she is full grown. It is a waste of money when you buy things to fit the puppy and the puppy outgrows everything within 2 months.3. make sure that you have a bunch of bones and toys, including treats.4. You also need to have a leash and collar. The collar you will need to buy a new one later. Buy a collar that is adjustable and will fit your puppies neck, but make sure it isn't too big. You should be able to fit 1-2 fingers under the collar, no more and no less.5. Spay her the second she becomes of age!!6. You need to enroll your puppy in a puppy obedience class IMMEDIATELY. Or hire a dog trainer. But obedience classes are usually cheaper, like petsmart or petco.7. You also need to have flea and heart worm prevention. And a vet ready to check the puppy out before you even get home.I believe I have covered everything. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

• Wow, I love puppies. This is going to be a very exciting time for you. You'll need tons of puppy supplies. Get a crate, collar, leash, brushes, nylabones(for teething), other toys, a bed. Puppy shampoos are also a good option. Petsmart is selling a new line of puppy specific toys that are good for teething and developing the brain. I bought a few for my puppy and they aren't that expensive. I would definately get a few good chew toys b/c when your pup teeths you don't want her chewing on your shoes. Also, buy some frontline or advantage flea preventative and take your puppy to the vet and get her started on her heartworm preventative. Don't forget all your puppy shots and rabies vaccines. Also, get her fecal sample tested to test for worms or other internal parasites. That is very important. Most puppies get worms.

• dog food, leash, collar, food bowl, water bowl, brush, TOYS,dog bed,dog tags I think thats it unless u want it to sleep in a kennel. Oh ya try to get the same kind of food that its been eating because sometimes a dog can get sick if u change its kind of food cuz its not used to it. Try to teach it some basic tricks like sit, laydown, and shake. Take the dog out for walks and play with it.good luck

• A book on shetland sheepdogs so you can educate yourself.Before you bring it home you should be aware of exercise requirements for the breedsome history on the breed so you'll know what the dog was originally bred {knowing this from the beginning makes certain behaviors that come naturally to the dog understandable to you},any breed specific medical problems and have at least an idea of how you're going to start training.So find a good all around book and most of your questions will be answered.You then need a collar and a leash and several toys as well as food and water dishes.Food and treats.

• Congratulations!!!! I highly recommend you ask the breeder of the puppy. Their knowledge is part of what you are paying for. Breeders want their puppy buyers to ask a lot of questions, as it prooves to them they have chosen the right home for their puppy. They should also supply you with:info on what food the pup is being fed..and give you a couple of days supplypedigree, contract, registration application (sometimes withheld until you send proof of spay)vaccination/worming dates they were administeredfuture vaccination schedulepamphlet(s) on basic puppy careI always trimmed the puppy's toenails in front of the new owners to show them how easy it was, and how to do itWhat you NEED :LOVE and PATIENCEfood, bowlsa "bed"..doesn't have to be a fancy $50 dog bed from the pet shop. An old blanket or such is just fine. Dogs don't care.brush...for a young puppy just a regular bristle brush, even just a cheap human one...pet stores charge a fortunea couple of toys..not tiny ones that can be swallowed. A squeeky, a tug. An excellent home made toy is a plastic soda or water bottle and put some gravel or dried beans in it; keep under supervision though as with some work a pup can chew the top off..great for accustoming the pup to noises, and they love the crinkly sound of the bottle.small buckle/snap collar that fits (you can wait until you get the pup to measure its neck) and a light leashpaper towels and rags, floor cleaner for potty training ;-)What is recommended:a dog crate for a private, safe "den" to sleep....and handy for potty training, and to keep pup safe when you are not at homea baby gate to put in doorways to prevent little one from running the entire house when you are busya "chew" is good.....but get one larger than you think is the right size...no tiny oneswith Shelties: socialize, socialize, socialize EARLY! Check with your breeder and vet about when you can safely take her places she might be exposed to viruses. But, you can still make special trips with her..like to the grocery store (when you aren't buying groceries) and just hold her so she sees people walking by...don't have to let anyone pet her...just a few minutes, then home. Also, with any puppy....if she shows a bit of fear, DO NOT coddle her, do not tell her its "OK baby". By doing that you are giving her your approval of showing fear, and she will likely continue this behavior!Well, good luck to you!Shelties are very bright dogs...plan on taking her to training classes when she older. You can research trainers now