Will my puppy get sick or die from eating a button battery?

I am not sure if he swallowed one but he was playing and chewing on one. I do not know if there were any others. What should I watch for?

I am not sure if he swallowed one but he was playing and chewing on one. I do not know if there were any others. What should I watch for?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will my puppy get sick or die from eating a button battery?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will my puppy get sick or die from eating a button battery?

Will my puppy get sick or die from eating a button battery? General Dog Discussions
      I am not sure if he swallowed one but he was playing and chewing on one. I do not know if there were any others. What should I watch for?

Will my puppy get sick or die from eating a button battery? General Dog Discussions
    • THIS WILL KILL THE DOG B/C IT WILL SIT IN THE COLON AND BREAK DOWN AND LEAK ACID AND CREATE A HOLE IN THE INTESTINES AND SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY KILL THE DOG. IT YOU ARENT SURE GET AN XRAY!! BETTER SAFE THAN A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH. IF IN DOUBT CALL A VET AND SEE.

• A battery SHOULD pass through with no problem. My male bulldog ate one too when he was about 5 months old. Things to watch for are ANY changes in behavior, such as loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea. I see it has been 9 hours since your post, so it is too late to MAKE him vomit. Keep an eye on him for now, and dogproof your house.

• If you think your puppy ate a watch battery and it has not come out in his stool, I would get him to the vet. Watch batteries are made out of titanium and have lithium in it. They are very durable' however, if it leaks it can be very deadly to your dog. I would not wait to find out. I would get him checked out asap. Good luck!

• I would think that it would pass through. In the future, if you think that your pup has eaten something it shouldn't, you can make him throw up. This should be down immediately, but do not use this for poisons. In that case, call the vet first. See http://animalsunlimited.net/meds.htm Hydrogen Peroxide will make him throw up. I've done this one under direction of a vet when one of our rescues ate all his bandages.