What is the deciding line between BYB and Responsible breeding to you?

In YOUR opinion, what qualifies a breeder as a BYB or a Responsible breeder? Do you judge people on a whim, or get to know them and their dogs BEFORE you make a judgment or decision? Do you base your accusations on something as simple as asking…

In YOUR opinion, what qualifies a breeder as a BYB or a Responsible breeder? Do you judge people on a whim, or get to know them and their dogs BEFORE you make a judgment or decision? Do you base your accusations on something as simple as asking…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the deciding line between BYB and Responsible breeding to you?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the deciding line between BYB and Responsible breeding to you?

What is the deciding line between BYB and Responsible breeding to you? General Dog Discussions
      In YOUR opinion, what qualifies a breeder as a BYB or a Responsible breeder? Do you judge people on a whim, or get to know them and their dogs BEFORE you make a judgment or decision? Do you base your accusations on something as simple as asking a question, or even the pictures of their animals on the website, without doing any reasearch? Can you be just biased in your answers because you belive so strongly that people shouldn't breed, etc.?

What is the deciding line between BYB and Responsible breeding to you? General Dog Discussions
    • If they're asking questions HERE about breeding, then they're BYBers.Responsible breeders don't need to ask breeding questions on Yahoo!Answers - they have breed mentors and have actually done their research from reputable sources like their mentor and breed club.Responsible breeders show their dogs to get outside, informed opinions on the quality of their animals.Responsible breeders are active in their breed club and in rescue.Responsible breeders never breed "designer dogs", and only on extremely rare occasions will breed a dog that has not earned his/her Championship.

• BYB - a person who cares for nothing more than money. Treat their dogs like ATM's. Don't CH title their dogs and get the necessary genetic health clearances done before breeding. Don't have a breed mentor. Want to breed because they want Fluffy to have babies of her own.Reputable breeder - Ch titles breeding dogs in conformation or field. Clears dogs of genetic health defects before breeding. Breed only to improve the breed. Have an outright passion for their chosen breed. Have a breed mentor. Will take back a dog they have sold or whatever reason.

• you need to see where the dog is. see how any other dogs are kept. house must be clean, no fleas or pests in house. Breeder must show shot records for parents and puppy(if old enough to have shots). must have legit answers to all questions. Breeder must agree to sign a guarantee contract saying that if the puppy gets sick they pay vet bills etc. This shows that they have confidence in the dog they are selling you. Or you could adopt an amazing shelter dog, pay less money, and have all of the criteria above met.

• I categorize anyone who doesn't educate themselves on their breed, inside and out, as a BYB. This is because no one who wants to better a breed would do so without vast knowledge about the breed. Those who just want to make money have no desire to learn or do right by the dogs.

• I do a lot when deciding if they are BYB or a responsible breeder.I use this website which is has many ways to tell the difference which helped me in many ways.http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/reputablebreeder.html/Also when looking on line for breeders if they have there dogs dressed up in clothes and ribbons i defiantly exit out of it b/c no good breeder will dress there dogs up.I ALWAYS go and check the place out and talk to the people about everything. I meet the mother and father of the puppies. I ask every question in the book about the breed. B/c good breeders can talk for ever about the dog breed.

• A Breeder1:has all their dogs tested 2: competes in dog shows and has titles3:breeds to improve the breed and according to breed standards not for money4:doesn't over breed their dogs and only breeds once or twice a year5:has a waiting list for the pups with atleast 6-10 people on it6:allows you to come to their house to view the parents and the propertyI could go on and onA BYB1:doesnt compete in dog shows2:breeds for money not love of the breed3:quality of the pups are average or below average4:dogs arnt tested 5:wont allow you to their house to meet the dogs instead would rather meet you somewhere else6:SELLS TO PET SHOPS7:over breeds their dogs so mother is in a very poor condition or breeds mother at a very young age8:has no idea where the pups are going and doesn't really careoh and like the other posts have said a breeder does not breed designer dogs Do you judge people on a whim, or get to know them and their dogs BEFORE you make a judgment or decision? I always get to know the dogs and the breeder but if I see more than 1 red flag I am out of there Do you base your accusations on something as simple as asking a question, or even the pictures of their animals on the website, without doing any reasearch? I always do my reasearch just as someone would when buying a new car or a new house,I dont want a puppy I am going to spend hundreds on in the future because it is poorly bredCan you be just biased in your answers because you belive so strongly that people shouldn't breed, etc.?I dont believe people should't breed but I do believe people shouldn't breed PET dogs or breed just because they will make good money,a breeder only gets back what they put into it and most of the time they lose money not make it

• If they get their dogs tested to ensure sure they're breeding healthy animals. If they get information about the home the puppy will be going to so they know that family has everything the dog needs. They wait until the puppy is old enough before letting it leave. They do their best to prepare the puppies for living with humans (give them baths, maybe start crate training). Lastly they must take excellent care of their breeding stock (Not that BYBs can't do this one too, I'd just never qualify a breeder as responsible if they didn't).There's probably some more that I missed.Edit: Some other mentions here made me think. I don't really care if the breeder has won competitions, though I suppose I would if I wanted my dog in a show. The breeder should guarantee the pup's health for a time after it is sold.I don't think the breeder has to breed purebreds; however, my requirements for ones that do are tighter. They should be knowledgeable about the types of crosses they're making. They should know what to expect as a result of the cross. If there is a negative effect from crossing the breeds, then the breeder should stop. Most importantly, they shouldn't do it just because the dogs are "in" right now and they think they can make a quick buck.

• Anyone who is breeding designer 'mixed' dogs and selling them as breeds is a BYB right off the bat in my book. But the BYB title is a fine line. There are many people who do not believe the AKC is the end all/be all of the dog world. There are those who believe it is a money-making enterprise and holding dogs to those standards is as arbitrary as making up new standards and holding all future dogs to those. Some BYB truly believe they are breeding responsibly and some probably are. Many do breed because they love dogs and they take very good care of them and vet them. However, breeding is mainly about genetics and a lot of people miss that. THat is the purpose of a pedigree and generations of dogs. Genetics determines what are fixed characteristics (size, coloring, temperment, intelligence). Many AKC registered dogs are not show quality and will never meet these genetic standards for breeding yet are bred anyways. Case in point: A relative of a relative has been breeding labradors for at least 20 yrs. Never has shown in confirmation or obedience as far as I am aware, has no titled dogs. Tries to 'improve' the breed by introducing new characteristics - he is trying to create a pointing lab. (in fox red, no less). I have seen his puppies and darn the are cute. Kept in a state of the art kennel and well kept, cared for, and he has spent thousands upon thousands on them. I know some people who have his dogs. Nice looking, yes, friendly, yes, healthy, yes - but the least trainable dogs you ever want to meet. The dogs literally don't get it. Can't get them to come, to sit, to lay down.. they wag their tails all the harder. I'd blame the owners except they each have the exact same problems and the dogs have the same goofy idiotic lovability. Sorry, off on a tangent... what was the question again??? lol

• A reputable breeder does conformation and working titles and all the necessary health clearances. But to me it also depends on the number of pups they are producing every year, I know of breeders who do all the titles and clearances then push out 100's of pups a year, why? IMO a reputable breeder breeds for themselves first, not to produce pets for others. Reputable breeders have rock solid health guarantees on their pups, with at the very least 5 years of coverage, they will take back one of their pups at any time for any reason no questions asked. And they are active in rescue, weather they have dogs in their care, they help with transport or they donate time and and money to a rescue organization.

• Breeding stock quality. End of discussion.If it is not papered, health tested, and championship titled in the show ring OR on the working field, then why the hell are you breeding it?I don't need to get to know them or their dogs first. I can tell 9 times out of 10 by simply checking out a website if a breeder is a reputable breeder or a BYB (I have noticed that most reputable APBT breeders like to make god awful flashy, horribly designed websites that are impossible to navigate!)I don't care how pretty and nice your pom-a-doo-doo mutt is. Most dogs euthanized in shelters are very nice and loving dogs that deserve great homes. They got the bright pink goo instead. Sad day.

• Health testing, definitely OFA for large breed dogs. Clean facilities. Proper paperwork and DNA testing. Good contracts. And show titles in my opinion are no longer enough for breeders of working breeds. In my opinion we should all stop buying working dogs if the parents are not titled in Schutzhund, field trials, Earth Dog, herding, whatever the case may be. Obedience titles aren't enough either. I would say that it'd be nice to have some show titles too but many breed clubs no longer breed to the breed standard (BC and Aussies with little drive and too much coat, GSDs with knock knees, and ski-slope backs, Dobermans who look like greyhounds).