dog nail clipping?

my dog needs to get her nails clipped very badly me and me brother both try all the time but she gets pissed. she thrusts her body all around trying to get away and she bites. it's literally impossible to cut her nails but it needs to be done we have…

dog nail clipping?

my dog needs to get her nails clipped very badly me and me brother both try all the time but she gets pissed. she thrusts her body all around trying to get away and she bites. it's literally impossible to cut her nails but it needs to be done we have…...
    General Dog Discussions : dog nail clipping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• dog nail clipping?

dog nail clipping? General Dog Discussions
      my dog needs to get her nails clipped very badly me and me brother both try all the time but she gets pissed. she thrusts her body all around trying to get away and she bites. it's literally impossible to cut her nails but it needs to be done we have talked about taking her to the groomer but even with a muzzle she would thrust around to much to be able to clip them i was wondering if anybody has had this problem and what they've done or if any one has any advice on things we could try...is there any way to give her anethiesia(not ourselfs of course we'd have the vet do it) and if so about how much would it cost and would we have to take her to the vet or could a groomer do it?<br />
      i've tried waiting until she falls asleep but she wakes up! and since she doesn't know whats going on she just immediatley reacts biting my hand. and she has extremely fast reflexs<br />
      also i've tried using a doggy nail file instead and that doesn't work either<br />

dog nail clipping?

dog nail clipping? General Dog Discussions
    • I ALWAYS HAVE THIS problem with my puppy.....Just rub her weak spot and wait until she falls asleep....and after a couple of minutes...slowly clip nail after nail and she'll be done....TRUST ME...MY DOG wiggle and jiggles and does her little cute bark.<br />
      <br />
      <br />
      Oh yeah.....<br />
      <br />
      Tip::::: don't cut the red part of her nail or it will squirt blood...its a vein/nerve!!!

• Our German Shorthair SCREAMS if you even touch his nail. We have him put down every time we are at the vet so thry can clip his nails. For us, it usually costs about $200. (EXPENSIVE!) It is a pain in the butt,but he's a good dog.

• You could talk to the vet about a sedative for her. Before you do that, though, you might look at using a dremel to grind her nails. Some dogs will handle the dremel better than the regular nail clippers. You just hold the dremel to the nail and grind it down. Since your dog needs it done very badly, if she tolerates it, I would only do a very little bit at a time, like just the tip.<br />
      <br />
      I would get lots of treats and get the dremel. Sit down in the floor with her. You turn into a pez dispenser- As long as the dremel is on, she gets treats. When the dremel goes off, the treats go away. Once she is looking forward to this, then touch the side of the machine (Not the grinding wheel) next to her body so she can feel the vibration. Once again, the pez dispenser only works when the machine is touching her. From there, try one nail, then try 2, etc. It's a slow process, and she may not tolerate it, either. But, it's worth a try before sedating her.<br />
      <br />
      They sell "nail grinders" at Petsmart, etc. for about $60, but save your money- the dremel machine is the EXACT same thing, and you can pick one up for about $25-$30.

• My beagle doest he same exact thing. Once he sees teh nail clippers he runs! My dad does it for me but you you do is hold her between your legs so she doesn't move and have someone else calm her. Then you can cut her nails. <br />
      I'm not sure if this helped much. but if you are still having problems i would bring her to a local groomer because they would be a lot better. <br />
      <br />
      Good Luck!

• It might still take the two of you, but get a blanket and wrap it very tightly around her body and legs so that only one paw is sticking out at a time. One of you hold the paw and clip the nails while the other one restrains the dog. It's much easier when they are contained and wrapped up! Also, clip the nails very often - so she gets used to it more and more. Always give a treat to her when you're done. Good luck. <br />
      In Massachusetts a groomer only charges $5-10 to cut the nails. Anesthesia isn't necessary, they only use restraint but are experts at it. If it's impossible to do, then definitely hire someone who is experienced.

• A good place to start is to desensitise your dog to the routine of nail cutting. You might have to take her to a vet first if they are really bad but if it can wait a few weeks start getting her used to having her feet touched everyday and reward her for doing it correctly. Move on to holing her paw firmly for a couple of seconds and use a command like "steady" then reward her, do this for a few days then move on to holding the clippers close to her foot and saying the command and rewarding her when she does well. keep this up till she is happy with it then cut only one nail a day and give her plenty of attention. even if you take her to a vet and have them clipped it would be a good idea to keep this training up for the next time she needs it.