Clipping dog nails....?

My puppy is 14 weeks old and he likes to nip at your hand when you try to clip his nails if someone else is holding him he just keeps pulling his paw away. He goes to the vet on Monday i think im going to have them trim them will it be a problem since he…

Clipping dog nails....?

My puppy is 14 weeks old and he likes to nip at your hand when you try to clip his nails if someone else is holding him he just keeps pulling his paw away. He goes to the vet on Monday i think im going to have them trim them will it be a problem since he…...
    General Dog Discussions : Clipping dog nails....?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Clipping dog nails....?

Clipping dog nails....? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy is 14 weeks old and he likes to nip at your hand when you try to clip his nails if someone else is holding him he just keeps pulling his paw away. He goes to the vet on Monday i think im going to have them trim them will it be a problem since he doesn't like it.<br />

Clipping dog nails....?

Clipping dog nails....? General Dog Discussions
    • My puppy doesn't like to have her toenails clipped either, however I give her a rawhide bone or a pig's ear to keep her mind off of me clipping her nails. I have also clipped her nails while she was sleeping. Usually if you can keep your dog preoccupied with a treat or a toy, clipping them shouldn't be a problem. Bringing your puppy to the vet for them to clip the nails for you can get expensive. Vets in my area start at $15 for a simple nail clipping. At Walmart or Target, you can buy a basic nail clipper for your dog for just $3 (and it works just as good as the expensive ones too)! <br />
      <br />
      Good Luck!

• I've given up trying to clip my dog's nails at home. I pay the vet or the groomer at Petco to do it. They are much better at restraining them and getting the job done fast.

• My dog is the same way because he is a puppy. They are just scared that the clippers will hurt them. To teach them that they are not going to hurt them pertend to clip your own nails with it and then try to clip theirs. If they don't let you trim their nails they are still scared. Keep repeating this process until they let you clip them. :] :] :] Hope I helped!!

• When you are sitting with puppy calmly rub the paws. Teach him that this can be calming. When you do cut them try putting puppy on the counter brace with your arms while you bend paw backwards. It will take time but you should try to train him to let you cut them. Just keep calm and in control. If you are going ot cut the nails DO IT. no matter how long you have to wait for him to calm down while you have him braced. You need to show him you are the master.

• Just keep holding his foot and do not let him pull it away. He may try nipping harder just tell him no and keep trying. Do not give up as you are only teaching the dog that if he acts up he gets his way and you will stop. If you let him get away with this as a puppy he will become mouthier as an adult and will bite you everytime you try to do something he doesnt like.